Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

54 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

If this massive offer that Woj is talking about is in the Kerr ballpark, he'll just about triple what he's making at UConn. Hell, even Monty Williams is getting almost triple Hurley's UConn cash to have the worst record in the league.

And Monty really sucks as a coach.

2 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

I tend to agree. Only reason it makes sense for Hurley is A) presumably F U money/generational wealth beyond what he can create in CBB B) stroking the ego doing something his father and brother never have (coaching in the NBA, I'm sure he thinks competing for a title). As a fan of his, would rather see him be king at UConn. As an IU fan... if he wants to leave CBB... see ya, good luck! Lol

#3 getting an offseason so he can relax and spend time with his family. College coaching  takes a ton of work.

2 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

I tend to agree. Only reason it makes sense for Hurley is A) presumably F U money/generational wealth beyond what he can create in CBB B) stroking the ego doing something his father and brother never have (coaching in the NBA, I'm sure he thinks competing for a title). As a fan of his, would rather see him be king at UConn. As an IU fan... if he wants to leave CBB... see ya, good luck! Lol

I get why Hurley would make the jump, but I just think at this point the Lakers is a $hitty job. Lebron and Davis count something like 100 mil against your cap. Lebron and, I think, Russell come off after next year, but Davis just signed that huge deal, so you’re building around a brittle 30+ guy with no draft capital and marginal tradeable assets. And I don’t buy the notion that seems permanently  baked into the Lakers narrative that every free agent would sell his mother to play there. And it’s not nothin’ that their ownership sucks. If they had OKC’s roster, sure, but, man, I don’t think that gig would be any fun at all.

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

I get why Hurley would make the jump, but I just think at this point the Lakers is a $hitty job. Lebron and Davis count something like 100 mil against your cap. Lebron and, I think, Russell come off after next year, but Davis just signed that huge deal, so you’re building around a brittle 30+ guy with no draft capital and marginal tradeable assets. And I don’t buy the notion that seems permanently  baked into the Lakers narrative that every free agent would sell his mother to play there. And it’s not nothin’ that their ownership sucks. If they had OKC’s roster, sure, but, man, I don’t think that gig would be any fun at all.

This is my somewhat (okay, totally) tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, but, ... 

Hurley is notoriously obsessive with coaching. Has claimed for him it's about winning and developing young people. Definitely not doing the latter in the NBA. It's no secret how much his wife wants to be on the east coast... they've been here their entire lives.

But Danny has nothing left to prove in CBB. He can make more money in the pros, and it's definitely not all about money for them... but it's the Lakers. That brand value has such cache, to a guy who lives and breathes basketball, I could see him wanting that prestige. Dont disagree with anything you said - it's totally accurate IMO. Still think he'd be willing to bet on himself that he could win. And if I'm in his shoes... the downside? Things maybe don't work out after 2 years. But at least I gave it a shot. Got to experience LA and all that comes with being the Lakers head coach. And now I've got a golden parachute, so life can be whatever he and his wife want to make it. 

I just laugh at the UConn fans crying about "would you rather 3 peat in storrs or probably get fired after 2-3 years in LA" ... most people who have already reached the pinnacle of their profession would probably pick LA IMO. I'll be very interested to see how this plays out

Not a bad list tbh. Woody garners zero respect except from his backers burners. Hope he can prove his worth this season. Not holding my breath but also going to allow myself to get excited about a talented roster.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

53 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not a bad list tbh. Woody garners zero respect except from his backers burners. Hope he can prove his worth this season. Not holding my breath but also going to allow myself to get excited about a talented roster.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

As of March, Woodson was the 13th highest paid coach in the country. That might have changed a little with the coaching shuffle but he's still easily top 20. Doesn't make lists of the top 50 coaches. Money well spent.

AH will be here soon to defend Woodson.

9 hours ago, go iu bb said:

As of March, Woodson was the 13th highest paid coach in the country. That might have changed a little with the coaching shuffle but he's still easily top 20. Doesn't make lists of the top 50 coaches. Money well spent.

AH will be here soon to defend Woodson.

The question is, would he make the list if it were expanded to the top 75? I don’t think so.

On 6/7/2024 at 9:21 PM, Uspshoosier said:

Couple of thoughts- there are a number of really terrible human beings on that list, just total POS. 

Second, if those are the top 50 (not arguing either way) then the talent pool has gotten pretty shallow, IMO. 

On 6/8/2024 at 1:24 PM, Brass Cannon said:

So glad we fired Sampson. Just such a smart move. About as smart as burning down your house for the insurance but forgetting to take out the insurance policy first 

The revisionism on Sampson will never not be funny. 1) They hired a coach from a program he’d put on probation, 2) He got busted for the same $hit in YEAR 2, 3) The NCAA was gonna lay the absolute wood to you for hiring a guy you knew in real time was dirty, 3) You had no choice at all but fire him, and 4) He was then given a show-cause, hence the reason he ended up in the NBA. Whether they fired him or not he was never coaching another game at IU once it came to  light.

”What would IU have been under Sampson” is the wrong hypothetical to ask. The right hypothetical and the one that will always grind on me is, “What would IUBB have been if they’d hired John Beilein instead of Sampson?” I will go to my grave convinced that Beilein would have won a Natty here, maybe more than 1, and would have also put a giant dent in Purdue’s program by virtue of his record of relationship building at the high school level combined with IU’s cache that would have effectively locked down the state. Sampson was not the one who got away, Beilein was.

32 minutes ago, Demo said:

The revisionism on Sampson will never not be funny. 1) They hired a coach from a program he’d put on probation, 2) He got busted for the same $hit in YEAR 2, 3) The NCAA was gonna lay the absolute wood to you for hiring a guy you knew in real time was dirty, 3) You had no choice at all but fire him, and 4) He was then given a show-cause, hence the reason he ended up in the NBA. Whether they fired him or not he was never coaching another game at IU once it came to  light.

”What would IU have been under Sampson” is the wrong hypothetical to ask. The right hypothetical and the one that will always grind on me is, “What would IUBB have been if they’d hired John Beilein instead of Sampson?” I will go to my grave convinced that Beilein would have won a Natty here, maybe more than 1, and would have also put a giant dent in Purdue’s program by virtue of his record of relationship building at the high school level combined with IU’s cache that would have effectively locked down the state. Sampson was not the one who got away, Beilein was.

Please after what UNC did and got away with it if IU had just had Sampsons back the storm would have blown over just fine.  Was it a good look. Of course not.  Did we shoot ourselves in both feet. Absolutely 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

I think Beilein would have been a great hire; however, he most likely wouldn’t have won a National Championship.  I think Sampson was a better coach than Beilein, IMO

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think Beilein would have been a great hire; however, he most likely wouldn’t have won a National Championship.  I think Sampson was a better coach than Beilein, IMO

All just speculation, but Belein came pretty close to a NC a couple times at Michigan. I'd sure like to have seen it play out at IU.