Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

42 minutes ago, maharkn said:

It's good we decided to not be in the NIT to focus on nothing. If the iu portal tracker is accurate then Indiana will be a mid major team next year

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

In fairness I heard Woodson's birthday party was off the chains. 

I stand by my comment I made a few days ago, we have 6 open scholarships and no transfer portal commitments yet but there are many teams who were in the NCAA tournament that already have commitments from portal transfers, now we are getting guys to cancel their visits.  This is starting to get worrisome 

I stand by my comment I made a few days ago, we have 6 open scholarships and no transfer portal commitments yet but there are many teams who were in the NCAA tournament that already have commitments from portal transfers, now we are getting guys to cancel their visits.  This is starting to get worrisome 

Just now getting worried?!?
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, IUFAN1976 said:

Yep. We skipped the tournaments to get a head start on the portal. Better connections this time around, they said. Huge payroll we can outspend others. "Our targets are still in the tournament" (there's now 4 schools in the NCAAT + the NIT). Sure some really good players may hit the portal late. We've got what, 5 or 6 spots to fill? Going off last year as a guide, 70% of the portal is likely already in it. We should have a head start on evaluating, making contact, getting visits, etc. Instead before the no contact period, we've got three cancelled visits (Leland Walker, BHH, and Hickman)... sure for various reasons, like Hickman being sick. But at the end of the day they've got to get it done. Other schools are managing to walk and chew gum at the same time. It's now April 1. Let's hope we get a guard soon.

Let’s face it, Woodson can sweet talk a high school kid but he can’t sweet talk young adults, they probably see right through his BS.  We might not fill any open scholarships at the rate Woodson is going.  He may have to put the walk-on players and some football players on scholarship, lol.  Wow, this could get ugly real fast if something doesn’t turn around soon

11 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Let’s face it, Woodson can sweet talk a high school kid but he can’t sweet talk young adults, they probably see right through his BS.  We might not fill any open scholarships at the rate Woodson is going.  He may have to put the walk-on players and some football players on scholarship, lol.  Wow, this could get ugly real fast if something doesn’t turn around soon

Got an entire month let’s just let it play out. 

if we had to play walk ons and football players while save this years NIL for the buyout it’s a win win 

15 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

He has to get their name right first. 

2 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Got an entire month let’s just let it play out. 

if we had to play walk ons and football players while save this years NIL for the buyout it’s a win win 

What are we playing out?  We appear to be stuck in quicksand, while competitors are making moves.  

41 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Yep. We skipped the tournaments to get a head start on the portal. Better connections this time around, they said. Huge payroll we can outspend others. "Our targets are still in the tournament" (there's now 4 schools in the NCAAT + the NIT). Sure some really good players may hit the portal late. We've got what, 5 or 6 spots to fill? Going off last year as a guide, 70% of the portal is likely already in it. We should have a head start on evaluating, making contact, getting visits, etc. Instead before the no contact period, we've got three cancelled visits (Leland Walker, BHH, and Hickman)... sure for various reasons, like Hickman being sick. But at the end of the day they've got to get it done. Other schools are managing to walk and chew gum at the same time. It's now April 1. Let's hope we get a guard soon.

Would you rather take a guy just to soothe the fan angst, or would you rather properly vet guys and get a quality player? I don’t know whether Woodson is going to be successful with his portal strategy but I sure as heck want to make sure he does his due diligence and gets guys who can make a difference.

His track record has not been good, I understand that. Time to put up. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Would you rather take a guy just to soothe the fan angst, or would you rather properly vet guys and get a quality player? I don’t know whether Woodson is going to be successful with his portal strategy but I sure as heck want to make sure he does his due diligence and gets guys who can make a difference.

His track record has not been good, I understand that. Time to put 

Edited by hoopsta007
Wrong thread

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Iowa took more shots than any team in the Big Ten (63.4) yet was 12th in number of three point shots taken per game (18.9).

Right,  as stated this year was a bit of an anomaly,  and that's partly due to Perkins not being able to shoot. But let's look at conf stats since you used them:

Last year: 2nd in Attempts,  2nd in makes

'22: 3rd A, 1st in makes

'21: 4th A, 1st in makes

Iowa is probably the first or second most prolific 3pt shooting teams in the conf in that period,  and that's despite Perkins who often had the lowest attempts of the starters. He could be coming to the stone cold dead last team in that metric in IU.

It's not that he can't contribute,  it's that he won't improve IU's dead last 3pt shooting and that the things that helped make him successful at Iowa--pace and space--largely won't exist at Indiana. It's a fit without much synergy in either direction. 

Just now, cbp4iu said:

In-home visit, you say? If you want to play for Mike Woodson, you come see Mike Woodson. 

Yes, I know that’s not what it means.