Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

When did we fly to see Hickman? 

We had an in-home with him yesterday. Not sure if that was at his college or at his home in Bloomington

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just now, Chris007 said:

We had an in-home with him yesterday. Not sure if that was at his college or at his home in Bloomington

That's when Walkers visit was suppose to be... so if our staff chose the opportunity to meet with CH because they didn't want to miss that chance with Connor, and Walker was willing to reschedule.... seems like the correct route to go. 

Connor needs to be a priority. 

Just now, btownqb said:

That's when Walkers visit was suppose to be... so if our staff chose the opportunity to meet with CH because they didn't want to miss that chance with Connor, and Walker was willing to reschedule.... seems like the correct route to go. 

Connor needs to be a priority. 

If that's how it all went down then yeah it was the right decision. I don't think that is true from what I know. But yes seeing CH would be the thing to do since we have to make up so much ground. Or maybe cut our losses there and get someone who's interested. JMO

Just now, Chris007 said:

If that's how it all went down then yeah it was the right decision. I don't think that is true from what I know. But yes seeing CH would be the thing to do since we have to make up so much ground. Or maybe cut our losses there and get someone who's interested. JMO

You're saying Hickman isn't interested? 

Just now, btownqb said:

You're saying Hickman isn't interested? 

I'm saying we're behind Cincy and Nebraska. Drew Adams recruited him to Bradley and they're very close. 

I'm saying he's told people that for him to come to IU they would need to change their offense and pay him a lot of money.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I believe this "we skipped to get a head start on the portal" is a largely false premise.

We likely skipped the tournaments because of, in order of priority/importance:

1. Ware (likely), Banks and Gunn (probably), and maybe X, Gallo, or Leal (all of whom were injured to some degree) would not have played; we couldn't have run out anywhere near a full roster. So our team would've been MR, GC, MM, Sparks, Walker, and maybe one or two more at most. That is unworkable.
  2. We pre-empted the possibility that we wouldn't have been selected for the NIT, which would've been hella embarrassing.
  3. We didn't want to play in front of a less than interested and full Assembly Hall and potentially lose, which woulda also been embarrassing. Like 2017, when we accepted a sad-faced NT bid, and got rolled by Georgia Tech in front of 5,000 fans.
  4. Finally and maybe the lowest down the list, we wanted the staff to prepare for and engage in portal season as early as possible.

Those are all good points/true. But doesn't negate that, going by last year as a guide, 70% of the portal is already in it. The benefit of being prepared for and engaging in the portal as early as possible, I'd think, would be to get an inside lane on the best prospects you think you can get. Yes, there will likely be some studs joining further down the line. But within that 70% that's already open for recruitment, I'd think there's at least one guard who would be a good fit that we'd be able to prioritize and land early in the portal. If teams still currently playing can do it, why can't we? Slow playing Walker is something I actually agree with, but if he's a back up plan, why are we spending time on him right now when we have starting slots to fill? The staff's record of evaluating talent on the roster/in the portal this past season does not inspire confidence. Having a voluptuous war chest of NIL and a head start in the portal - where we supposedly have better connections than last year - I don't think it's unreasonable to want/expect a high quality guard commitment soon. Suppose we will have to see how things look after the dead period

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm saying we're behind Cincy and Nebraska. Drew Adams recruited him to Bradley and they're very close. 

I'm saying he's told people that for him to come to IU they would need to change their offense and pay him a lot of money.

That's disheartening. But, choosing Cinci over us, even with the state of things, even with his relationship with Drew Adams... Ehhhhh. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

That's disheartening. But, choosing Cinci over us, even with the state of things, even with his relationship with Drew Adams... Ehhhhh. 

This one I hope I'm wrong because he was at the top of my list of transfers

35 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I like Hickman but if the demands are two fold about changing the offense and paying him a lot of money.....move on.

We all would like the offense changed but if a recruit is demanding that PLUS lots of money and he isn't an all world player....might want to seek elsewhere.  Hoping you're wrong cause I do want him, just not at that price.

2 hours ago, bigrod said:

What? How can you say that? We are so far removed from the program that is too proud to accept an NIT bid. This program is the definition of mediocrity over the last 25 years. This was totally done to save the embarrassment of the coach and administration.

Yeah, because the coach and the administration are NOT embarrassments in and of themselves.

49 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So, realistically, what are the chances of landing him? Can/will Woodson change? He's asking a lot - $$$ and Woodson to change his style of play. Nobody tells Mike Woodson what style to play.

51 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm assume if Hickman came, he would be our starting two guard. He's a senior.  I can't see him going anywhere without being a starter.  

9 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

So, realistically, what are the chances of landing him? Can/will Woodson change? He's asking a lot - $$$ and Woodson to change his style of play. Nobody tells Mike Woodson what style to play.

I highly doubt the offense is changing but we can always pay him big money

13 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I get your point but if the story is true (not doubting that Chris heard it but who knows if the source is 100% correct) I’m not exactly enamored with a recruit telling a coach what style of play he wants while demanding a big bag$$$

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

27 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I like Hickman but if the demands are two fold about changing the offense and paying him a lot of money.....move on.

We all would like the offense changed but if a recruit is demanding that PLUS lots of money and he isn't an all world player....might want to seek elsewhere.  Hoping you're wrong cause I do want him, just not at that price.

Chris didn't say Hickman had a "demand" that we change the offense. More like Hickman would want to be shown that we are changing the offense for IU to be a more attractive destination. So wanting to understand what the offense would be so that he can evaluate.

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I get your point but if the story is true (not doubting that Chris heard it but who knows if the source is 100% correct) I’m not exactly enamored with a recruit telling a coach what style of play he wants while demanding a big bag$$$

I never said he told IU that. I said he had told friends that if he was going to go to IU they would need to change their offense and pay him a lot of money.

I doubt he would tell a head coach this. More likely he would hear their sales pitch and then choose another program