Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, IndyHoops said:

I am honestly not expecting much from Tucker. He isn’t mentioned in any 2025 mock drafts and needs to pick up some weight to play in the B10. I hope things weren’t promised 

I agree. But.. he looks like someone that can offer 8-15mpg, at least, this coming year... a measurably upgrade from CJ Gunn.. 

And then, I would assume, the hope would be as a SO to take off. 

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Just follow Tyme with a bunch of numbers after it on Twitter and that's NGW. I'm sure he has the analysis already up unless you've been blocked by him

NGW also suspected to be on Trilly's discord as "Hoosier Pain".. Insufferable and constant poster

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I know it’s tongue in cheek but geez…

We’re talking about second team all Big Ten and first team all Pac 12 point guards. These are excellent players and either would be real upgrades for the roster.

I prefer to take some joy in the prospect of getting really good players to play for Indiana.

3pt shooting isn't the only issue offensively!! 

I'm not an "expert" like Tyme or NGW or whoever but I do think Myles Rice is very interesting and his three-point percentage is a concern but a bit of context to that could be informative. 

First, Rice is originally from South Carolina and going from Columbia to Pullman, Washington is interesting. Second, Rice played one game in 2021-2022 and battled and beat cancer. That's awesome! The 2023-2024 season was his first real season of college basketball and he averaged 14.8 points per game, 3.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game while shooting 43.9% from the field and 81% from the line with 127 attempts. Having three years of eligibility left and already helping lead a team to an overachieving season and NCAA Tournament berth are pluses. A great FT percentage and volume indicate there is runway for growth on his three-point shooting. He had games against high-major competition of 21 points (Mississippi State), 22 (Oregon), 18 (Arizona), 35 (Stanford), 21 (Oregon), 25 (Cal) and several more around 15 points. 

The negatives would be: what if the three-point percentage does not improve?, his assist to turnover ratio is 3.8:2.6...that's not amazing. 

All in all, I think the three-point percentage is a major red flag BUT there are lots of reasons to like him as a prospect.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He’s from Georgia; wonder if Ya has a hook here. Hope so.

Played in the same League as Akai Fleming, though not at the same time, so even if their isn't some sort of at least tacit connection I can't imagine they don't know pretty much all the same people.

16 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

With Perkins and Rice you could build a new arena with the number of bricks they'd put up from 3.

i hear ya but give me high end athletic guards.  Rice can always improve drastically seeing how he would still have 3 yrs left.  Perkins likely doesnt improve much but Rice certainly could.  Give me highly athletic guards that can get by their defenders at a high % which then opens up the possibility for shooters and/or bigs at/near the rim.  

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I know it’s tongue in cheek but geez…

We’re talking about second team all Big Ten and first team all Pac 12 point guards. These are excellent players and either would be real upgrades for the roster.

I prefer to take some joy in the prospect of getting really good players to play for Indiana.

We've blown right on by scouting the stat line and moved on to scouting a single element of the stat line. 'Cause that's how the great ones do it.

17 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

I'm not an "expert" like Tyme or NGW or whoever but I do think Myles Rice is very interesting and his three-point percentage is a concern but a bit of context to that could be informative. 

First, Rice is originally from South Carolina and going from Columbia to Pullman, Washington is interesting. Second, Rice played one game in 2021-2022 and battled and beat cancer. That's awesome! The 2023-2024 season was his first real season of college basketball and he averaged 14.8 points per game, 3.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game while shooting 43.9% from the field and 81% from the line with 127 attempts. Having three years of eligibility left and already helping lead a team to an overachieving season and NCAA Tournament berth are pluses. A great FT percentage and volume indicate there is runway for growth on his three-point shooting. He had games against high-major competition of 21 points (Mississippi State), 22 (Oregon), 18 (Arizona), 35 (Stanford), 21 (Oregon), 25 (Cal) and several more around 15 points. 

The negatives would be: what if the three-point percentage does not improve?, his assist to turnover ratio is 3.8:2.6...that's not amazing. 

All in all, I think the three-point percentage is a major red flag BUT there are lots of reasons to like him as a prospect.

Good info, thx

40 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

It's very likely his three point numbers improve. Very good player on a team that won a game in the tournament. 

He had a streak toward the end of the season where he was like 0 of 22 from three.  Prior to that he was shooting 33% from three.  Given that he hadn’t played for two years because of cancer, it’s probably reasonable to believe his struggle at the end of the year might have been him wearing down.

Rice shoots over 80% from the line and his form is good, with most freshman I would say that will improve. Almost 15 pts per game in his first full season of college ball is VERY good. Good volume too, Mgbako is the only IU player who shot more 3's than Rice last year.

He's going to be a sophomore by eligibility but he's already 21 and been in college 3 years. So he would be 24-25 when he is a senior, those are the kind of players that really help you win.