Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

5 minutes ago, JF87 said:

At this point, do they really believe in his abilities or are they just unwilling to admit they were wrong, and they are going to see if they can buy Woodson a team to save face?  

That's the big question, do those in power have the ability to admit the Woodson situation isn't salvageable,  and make the necessary change now? If our top targeted guards in the portal can't be enticed with a starting position AND hefty NIL, will they allow next season to be a complete failure just to save face? I guess my question would be, is there a line of absolute failure at which they would finally pull the plug on the Woodson tenure? (ie, 0-2024 recruits, strike out with in-state 2025 recruits, can't sign decent portal players, little to no effort recruiting by Woodson, etc)

Just now, Hoosierinbham said:

That's the big question, do those in power have the ability to admit the Woodson situation isn't salvageable,  and make the necessary change now? If our top targeted guards in the portal can't be enticed with a starting position AND hefty NIL, will they allow next season to be a complete failure just to save face? I guess my question would be, is there a line of absolute failure at which they would finally pull the plug on the Woodson tenure? (ie, 0-2024 recruits, strike out with in-state 2025 recruits, can't sign decent portal players, little to no effort recruiting by Woodson, etc)

Not to put words in your mouth, because I have not seen you say it, but the folks who are still hoping for Woody to go this offseason... Maybe a hot take, but I think that's the worst case scenario for the program. Scramble to make a hire late in the cycle and fill out a roster with scraps from the portal. At this point, the admin has decided Woodson is getting next year, so I'd rather ride out another crappy season with him than take our chances with a shot in the dark hire with a completely overhauled roster. For me, after next season is where your big question really comes into focus... And what does the admin define as a successful season? If Woody gets us back to R32 and they decide to run it back with him, we'll know what the standards are...

4 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Not to put words in your mouth, because I have not seen you say it, but the folks who are still hoping for Woody to go this offseason... Maybe a hot take, but I think that's the worst case scenario for the program. Scramble to make a hire late in the cycle and fill out a roster with scraps from the portal. At this point, the admin has decided Woodson is getting next year, so I'd rather ride out another crappy season with him than take our chances with a shot in the dark hire with a completely overhauled roster. For me, after next season is where your big question really comes into focus... And what does the admin define as a successful season? If Woody gets us back to R32 and they decide to run it back with him, we'll know what the standards are...

For something to happen now, it would have to be that we had a big name locked up. Pearl had already signed that you would fire Woodson on Wednesday and hire Pearl on Thursday. Or whoever. But as you said at this point you can't fire Woodson and then do a coaching search.

As far as next year don't even put out there that he gets an hour after the last game is played. 

26 minutes ago, JF87 said:

At this point, do they really believe in his abilities or are they just unwilling to admit they were wrong, and they are going to see if they can buy Woodson a team to save face?  

This right here. If Woodson could/would recruit and then coach up the recruits, that's one thing. But he either can't or won't. Instead, he's looking for a ready made team that he can just roll out and win. It's like everything else he's done here since he got the coaching gig - zero effort, zero energy. He didn't even get fired up when the got the two techs and got tossed against Nebraska - he just turned and walked away. The only time I've seen any fire from him was when he called out the "not true fans" on senior day.

45 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Yes.  Continuity is important to teach the newer players the defensive rotations.  We also need 13 scholarship players and without developmental freshmen, it will be hard to fill scholarships 11-13 in the portal. 

Hard to have continuity when the staff believes in only recruiting 1-2 year players and not 4 year guys. 

23 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

For something to happen now, it would have to be that we had a big name locked up. Pearl had already signed that you would fire Woodson on Wednesday and hire Pearl on Thursday. Or whoever. But as you said at this point you can't fire Woodson and then do a coaching search.

As far as next year don't even put out there that he gets an hour after the last game is played. 

This is where I was heading with my question. Could it get so bad in the next few weeks that the boosters pivot and give Dolson a blank check to go get Pearl or another willing proven coach? Doubtful, but otherwise I fear between Woodson's incompetence, and our fans level of toxicity towards him, next season will crater our program even further than I ever would've imagined possible.

21 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Looking at the Kenpom top 50 teams, there just aren't a lot of big name or proven coaches that you can see moving from their current schools.  Pearl and Brian Dutcher are 64 already and the rest wouldn't meet the big name or proven coach requirement that people want to put on the program.  Chris Collins might be the best we could get.  This is why missing on Dusty was so frustrating to me and many on this board.  

6 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Looking at the Kenpom top 50 teams, there just aren't a lot of big name or proven coaches that you can see moving from their current schools.  Pearl and Brian Dutcher are 64 already and the rest wouldn't meet the big name or proven coach requirement that people want to put on the program.  Chris Collins might be the best we could get.  This is why missing on Dusty was so frustrating to me and many on this board.  

I'm guessing that Chris Collins looks at NW being a better job than IU right now. Probably why he hasn't been a candidate at UofL 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I'm guessing that Chris Collins looks at NW being a better job than IU right now. Probably why he hasn't been a candidate at UofL 

True and very sad for both Louisville and IU.  

8 minutes ago, OldBuddy67 said:

So torn. The fan in me hopes he gets a few guys. I think I know the answer, but is there enough pride and will to win that he adjusts to what he does? He finally stopped his ridiculous rotations and substitutions and played guys more minutes. It cost him the Rutgers game and the KENPOM rating in barely beating the buy game teams.

The other side of me hopes he bombs and we finally end this nightmare coaching hire. Just don't know how to feel and it's sad as a lifelong fan.

I bet he will have forgotten that substitution lesson by November.  He has had to relearn it every year.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

This is exactly where I'm at. Even if he fails who are we going to get to coach? Louisville let it go on too long and I'm afraid we are doing the same season. 

Exactly and the arrogance of the BOT not thinking Dusty May was a good option will come back to haunt. He'll win and raid the state for talent and IU will be left perpetually in rebuild mode! Joke!!!!!SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!