Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We should care because when Leal actually plays... We win. People don't want to admit it and seem blind to it, but we won when he's able to play 20-29 minutes. It's just a fact. So far, undefeated in his career when that's the case.

That doesn’t deny the fact Leal is not good enough. If he is getting that many minutes next year just means Woody failed in the portal. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

For something to happen now, it would have to be that we had a big name locked up. Pearl had already signed that you would fire Woodson on Wednesday and hire Pearl on Thursday. Or whoever. But as you said at this point you can't fire Woodson and then do a coaching search.

As far as next year don't even put out there that he gets an hour after the last game is played. 

Questions? So he’ll get 4.3 million for coaching next year and what does his buyout go down to next year?

17 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

That doesn’t deny the fact Leal is not good enough. If he is getting that many minutes next year just means Woody failed in the portal. 

He's absolutely good enough. He's proven it. He might not be some Sportscenter highlight getter or anything but you don't need 5 of those on the floor at once.

So I am too lazy to go look, but the 5 star guy we had on campus this week, wouldn't he be a wing or 3?  It seemed when I glanced over his stuff when it was announced that he would be someone competing with MM's out of position position.  I don't see how we add him without making someone unhappy, unless we plan on making him our 2 guard in which case:

"You would like to see Bryson’s jump shot to become more consistent. He is really good in the mid-range, one to two dribble pull ups from the elbows. An explosive athlete, he is good in transition. He has a great work ethic and is one to continue watching as a five-star."

That doesn't sound like the type of player that is going to move the needle towards "modern basketball".  I know people will say that JHS and TJD in the pick and roll and this kid could play the JHS role in that scenario but I don't know.  I think Woodson has himself in a pickle with his roster.  His 2 best players cause roster problems when trying to build around them.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So I am too lazy to go look, but the 5 star guy we had on campus this week, wouldn't he be a wing or 3?  It seemed when I glanced over his stuff when it was announced that he would be someone competing with MM's out of position position.  I don't see how we add him without making someone unhappy, unless we plan on making him our 2 guard in which case:

"You would like to see Bryson’s jump shot to become more consistent. He is really good in the mid-range, one to two dribble pull ups from the elbows. An explosive athlete, he is good in transition. He has a great work ethic and is one to continue watching as a five-star."

That doesn't sound like the type of player that is going to move the needle towards "modern basketball".  I know people will say that JHS and TJD in the pick and roll and this kid could play the JHS role in that scenario but I don't know.  I think Woodson has himself in a pickle with his roster.  His 2 best players cause roster problems when trying to build around them.

Woody read he's good in the mid-range and said Kenyon get him on campus. He loves him some mid-range

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Or he's doing what I hope he's doing and playing Reneau and MM at their natural positions and getting more athletic out on the perimeter. 

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Or he's doing what I hope he's doing and playing Reneau and MM at their natural positions and getting more athletic out on the perimeter. 

You would hope....I just don't have that faith.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

We got Tucker on campus which is a good get but he will take some time to get used to playing CBB just like Mgbako. Several guys who entered the portal have some IU ties but their not difference-makers. I mean was yesterday better than the day before yes. But it's still the same guy coaching the same old out dated offense. 

I think he believes the staff have things already in place with guys who are still playing and not in the portal.  Perhaps the new and improved portal relationships will be the key here and will deliver.  Still have concerns then that we skip all the early kids with hopes that we can get a seat at the portal table only to miss out on them.  I would love to be wrong though and obviously do not know who we may be talking to that is still playing.  So we really won't know who we get until later.  Time will tell..

2 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

The most sickening thing to me about all these burners on Twitter is not that they are looking for reason to be hopeful (I do too, most fans do) but the fact they're genuinely giddy about everyone else being "proven wrong" when Woody lands recruits. Fielding a full roster is not making a statement or proving anyone wrong LOL and the fact they are so sure that everyone else is overreacting (as opposed to them doing mental gymnastics to justify everything), to the point of being downright combative... is unfortunate. I'm sure they'll say they are responding in kind, and I get that negativity can feel overwhelming at times, but you cannot escape reality even if you don't want to hear it. Hopefully they're enjoying constructing their own version of reality. Frankly unless we go to a F4 next year, they are the ones who will be dead wrong and ironically, the same people crapping over message board people and "blogger boys" will have been doing what they mock others for - getting their hopes up over a different group of people acting like "insiders" ... (Lord help whoever buys what NGW is selling).

This is the same thing IUBB always does, because it's become a toxic relationship for a lot of fans and people are caught in that cycle. There is no way to ignore the fact Woodson poured an accelerant on the flames by being divisive with his "true fans" comment. 

A lot of fans on Twitter are acting like fielding a team in itself is a win or that we're just a few pieces away from winning it all. Celebrating the idea of recruiting wins in the portal is more exciting to them than getting it done on the court. People say it's never as great or as bad as it seems but IUBB feels like it is in a really, really awful place right now. A few good players next year does not change that. 

This is no different than the sunshine pumpers who got positively giddy during the meaningless end of season winning streak.

No, winning a few games against bad teams after the team had been eliminated from NCAA tournament contention did not mean that Mike Woodsen was a good coach. LOL

56 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He's absolutely good enough. He's proven it. He might not be some Sportscenter highlight getter or anything but you don't need 5 of those on the floor at once.

He's a smart player on a team that needs smart players. I will give you that. But skill wise, he is not a Big Ten player. Those two things can both be true. I think it speaks more to team IQ than anything. I don't see many other teams where he would get more than a few minutes a game.