Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I mean in all seriousness we have zero recruits coming in and you refuse to talk about what your plan for next season is. This is embarrassing. I know it has been but it's getting worse with each day

He’s going to go after all the big names in the portal while looking Malik and Trey and likely McKenzie. He’ll tell all the portal kids he knows Carmelo and knows the NBA, same old boring pitch. 

At the end of the day, Woodson can’t coach. It’s been proven in the NBA and now college level. He’s better off as an assistant coach in the NBA. 

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Michigan football fans are the worst out here in Arizona...

As a Michigan football fan I can honestly say that IU basketball and Michigan football are about the same when it comes to the fan bases. Neither are as bad as the SEC schools or OSU football. But when the fan bases are fed up they are vocal and bc there are so many fans it’s loud. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I mean, sure! Not that they are convincing given the downside, but the collective reasons are:

• We just went through this three years ago. We cannot attract coaches and talent if we bail every year we see adversity.
  • It would be arguably more expensive to dump him than keep him for one more year.
  • Our highest level donors have strongly asserted that they want him back.
  • He's two for two in tourney appearances, and this season isn't finished so it's remotely possible he could be three for three.
  • All three of his teams have improved over the course of the season.
  • He's made adjustments during each season.
  • His best recruiting has been very late in each cycle.
  • If a crap coach like Archie got four years, a more successful program legend should get at least that long.

Don't blow back at me -- the trend and what we've seen this year is no bueno, but you asked for the justification and there it is.

None of those are legitimate and worthy reasons to keep him.

41 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Somehow mine restarted at 10 this morning. So I'm being very picky about what I like and don't like today in case we get breaking news later. 

.....lol

tommy likey tommy want wingy - Misc - quickmeme

9 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

His plan is to play golf all summer and let the Simon family throw stacks of cash at portal players.  Pretty obvious.

So he does have a recruiting plan! :D 

I mean in all seriousness we have zero recruits coming in and you refuse to talk about what your plan for next season is. This is embarrassing. I know it has been but it's getting worse with each day
0-31 its like you almost have to try to be that bad at recruiting. And he had two years to work the 2024 class.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

One of the guys on AC last night did a nice analytical breakdown of what it was going to take to solidly be a tournament team before the LM news. And from a numbers and production perspective, it would have taken the greatest portal haul since it became a thing. Post LM, it’s essentially impossible based one the amount of production even in a portal year to year. We already had to pull the best 2-5 players which LOL. Now we are going to fill the roster with players that are not high major contributors. Think Sparks, but different positions. We have to move on. Full stop. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

1) I agree with RTZ.

2) If I'm Dusty May there is no way in holy hell that I'm signing up for that.

• $4 million/per year times five years as head coach of Ohio State or West Virginia, or
  • Reporting to Mike Woodson on an IU sinking ship for $1.25 million for one year? 

I don’t think the GM will report to Woodson in the above scenario I laid out. But bc I laid it out it won’t happen. Sorry Dusty fans. Lol

39 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

That's it this has gone on far enough! Fire this man for dereliction of duties as assigned! This is beyond embarrassing!

It says, "I know,... I know, I screwed up but I definitely don't want to be reminded".

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I mean, sure! Not that they are convincing given the downside, but the collective reasons are:

• We just went through this three years ago. We cannot attract coaches and talent if we bail every year we see adversity.
  • It would be arguably more expensive to dump him than keep him for one more year.
  • Our highest level donors have strongly asserted that they want him back.
  • He's two for two in tourney appearances, and this season isn't finished so it's remotely possible he could be three for three.
  • All three of his teams have improved over the course of the season.
  • He's made adjustments during each season.
  • His best recruiting has been very late in each cycle.
  • If a crap coach like Archie got four years, a more successful program legend should get at least that long.

Don't blow back at me -- the trend and what we've seen this year is no bueno, but you asked for the justification and there it is.

I understand you were just making points that could be made in response to the question of why to keep him.

I would, however, dispute that his teams improved over the course of the season. Each year, they've had a losing streak and managed to get out of that and win some games at the end of the season. While that might seem like improvement, it isn't necessarily that. The evidence that it wasn't really improvement is that they didn't really make any noise in the B1GT and  got blown out in the NCAAT in the first weekend each time.

One of the guys on AC last night did a nice analytical breakdown of what it was going to take to solidly be a tournament team before the LM news. And from a numbers and production perspective, it would have taken the greatest portal haul since it became a thing. Post LM, it’s essentially impossible based one the amount of production even in a portal year to year. We already had to pull the best 2-5 players which LOL. Now we are going to fill the roster with players that are not high major contributors. Think Sparks, but different positions. We have to move on. Full stop. 
It is going to be do bad next year. Expect Woodson screaming at reporters in press conferences claiming he does not explain his 5-15 big ten record.

45 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

That's it this has gone on far enough! Fire this man for dereliction of duties as assigned! This is beyond embarrassing!

I don't blame him in the least for not wanting to discuss it:

1. There are no good answers.
  2. Opening the door enables a ton of follow-up questions on the subject, which sends him back to "there are no good answers."

0-31 on recruits in 2024. That’s kind of crazy to think about. I think I could get a commit if you gave me a couple of months and the most I’ve done is GM a 2k team.
His 2024 offers are similar to our 3-point shooting. Not connecting....

Sent from my SM-G981U using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

I look at the "can't fire a legend or you'll look bad" very differently I guess.

If Duke hired Grant Hill, or North Carolina hired Sam Perkins, etc., then fired them later for genuinely poor performance (or like NC did with Dougherty), I wouldn't say "Oh, look how crazy and unreasonable they are, they fired one of their own". 

I would be like, "look how serious they are about being good and not tolerating mediocrity, he sucked and they moved on".

I think IU is WAY over-sensitive about this. If the coach isn't getting it done, move on!

UCONN fired Kevin Ollie just a couple years removed from a national title.  But they have expectations up there.

UCONN fired Kevin Ollie just a couple years removed from a national title.  But they have expectations up there.
Again it would be one thing if Woodson had four or five nice recruits lined up and a good core coming back. Instead it seems like the last seconds of being on the titanic.

33 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

0-31 on recruits in 2024. That’s kind of crazy to think about. 

Wonder how long it's been, if ever, IU basketball has been this late in the season and does not have a single recruit committed for the following year. It's truly incredible we are at this point