Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Declining the NIT may sound crazy, but it truly is a no win situation.  If we won the NIT and got all excited, that's a bad look.  Like we're happy to be the best of the losers.  If we lose in the NIT, we're the worst of the losers.  No way to win here.

Wrap it up, start fresh, kick Woody and Buckner out of Bloomington

Declining an NIT bid makes sense given we need to smash the portal. It also avoids an embarrassing home loss to some team that wants to win the NIT. Not to mention if some players bail on the NIT to enter the portal. I see no upside to the NIT for IU. And I blame Woodson for that.

And maybe I’m just bitter  but his bush league ejection to avoid having to sit there at the end of the game makes me madder than it should. What a freakin coward. 

3 minutes ago, Papacap said:

Declining an NIT bid makes sense given we need to smash the portal. It also avoids an embarrassing home loss to some team that wants to win the NIT. Not to mention if some players bail on the NIT to enter the portal. I see no upside to the NIT for IU. And I blame Woodson for that.

And maybe I’m just bitter  but his bush league ejection to avoid having to sit there at the end of the game makes me madder than it should. What a freakin coward. 

Declining the NIT is always 100% correct move on today's game if you're a P4 school. NBA players (Ware) should not risk their future for a meaningless game. Not mention, injuries to any current good prospects (Gabe). 

I don’t recall from past seasons. Does Dolson usually give a year end statement or anything? Or are we just going to be left with Osterman’s report about Woodson coming back and that’s it?

20 minutes ago, Mike Rodick said:

I know I'm probably in the minority here but why not take the NIT bid?.IU is pretty much an NIT type team the last 20 years with the exception of a season or two here and there where the basketball God's felt sorry for us and threw us a bone only to bury it in the neighbors yard where we couldn't find very easily soon thereafter.Assuming that guys like Ware,MM,Reneau and any injured players would not be available should not be an excuse not to play in it,there are several players that never got the opportunity to play this year because we did not have any of the traditional "clear the end of the bench" blowouts of the opponents that good teams have and we used to have and those players worked hard in practice all year and never got to play in front of their family and friends and the NIT would give those guys an opportunity.By turning down an NIT bid it almost makes it sound like it's beneath IU to accept it when in reality it's probably what should be expected with what the program has become.

I just finished posting this response in the game thread in response to a question about the NIT,

Don't know the answer to your question, but IMO it is the right decision (not to play).  If Galloway's knee injury would keep him from playing and we're already down 1 scholly plus Newton out with injury.  Ware should take a pass and not risk an injury before working out for the upcoming NBA draft and possibly Bako if he's seriously thinking of entering the draft.  Plus we stink and no way we'd be a serious threat to win it.  We really do need to spend our efforts figuring out who will be on our team next year.

8 minutes ago, kottke said:

I don’t recall from past seasons. Does Dolson usually give a year end statement or anything? Or are we just going to be left with Osterman’s report about Woodson coming back and that’s it?

If he does… Nobody will ask him the tough questions.

20 minutes ago, cleeter said:

And let’s not forget, the governor could just reelect Quinn. It’s not like we know he’s even 100% gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This 100%. Sports and basketball aside, Bucker is liked by the Governor and the IU Administration, and has the respect of many IU Faculty. I don't see him stepping down or going away anytime soon. 

One thing that surprises me, or perhaps doesn't, is that the IU faculty have been mute regarding IU athletics in general. Honestly, most are pretty apathetic to it, which I think is really unfortunately. I sure wish that my colleagues would care and see the value that it brings to the institution, when we have strong teams. As a faculty leader, I was surprised how many simply did not care when Scott Dobson gave the annual athletics report to the Bloomington Faculty Council. There seemed to be zero interest during his report. During that report, I really wanted to chime in and ask about the state of IU basketball,  e.g. Woodson's tenure with IU, but I imagined that it would have been batted away, and my faculty colleagues would have seen my response as a nuisance.

One interesting thing that Dolson mentioned was that IU was focused and committed to improving football, and even said that roughly 85% of athletics revenue across the US comes from football. This seems to be quite true, especially when you see that IU is consistently at the bottom of the Big10 for athletics revenue. So, folks, looks like we might be becoming a football school. Sigh. Good thing for revenue, but a sad thing for a fan like me that prefers basketball. But, I must ask, why can't we be both!?!?!

1 minute ago, iu eyedoc said:

Woodson's ejection was so obviously intentional. He was tired of watching shitty basketball, had no desire to coach them up, and knew he could get an hall pass to the locker room with just a few choice words to the ref. He showed zero emotion, it was merely his easy calculated early exit. The players knew it, it is obvious by their disinterest of him walking out.

He quit on the players plain and simple. A disgraceful act that will lead to another neglectful offseason and a failure of the following season, all because he is a stubborn old sh*thead.

He also didn't have to hear the boo's at the end of the game after getting blown out for the third straight year in the final game of the season.

5 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Woodson's ejection was so obviously intentional. He was tired of watching shitty basketball, had no desire to coach them up, and knew he could get an hall pass to the locker room with just a few choice words to the ref. He showed zero emotion, it was merely his easy calculated early exit. The players knew it, it is obvious by their disinterest of him walking out.

He quit on the players plain and simple. A disgraceful act that will lead to another neglectful offseason and a failure of the following season, all because he is a stubborn old sh*thead.

Would you say his ejection didn’t pass the “eye test?”  

Mods please don’t ban me for life, I’ll show myself out.

1 hour ago, iubhounds2 said:

That was stated 5 minutes after the game ended not by Rabby but some other reporter. I want to say it was Osterman.

Rabby tweeted it, which is where I saw it. I’m sure others reported it also, appears to not of been a secret we won’t accept. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sirhoosierlot said:

Doyle and Dakich are two sides of the same coin

Doyle did have a few zingers in his recap of the game:

IU quit late in the first half, which Nebraska closed on a 17-0 run for a 50-27 lead at halftime. The Hoosiers’ best two players, Kel’el Ware and Malik Reneau, were no-shows. Ware scored zero points in the first half. Reneau grabbed zero rebounds. Think about this. Wherever you were, watching this game, you scored as many points in the first half as the 7-0, NBA-bound Ware, and grabbed as many rebounds as the 6-9, 230-pound Reneau. And you played as much defense as anyone in a crimson jersey.

and

But at least, when the final horn sounded, every player on the Hoosiers was still there on the court. Not one of them pulled a gutless move and got himself ejected from this game to avoid the postgame handshake line, the Big Ten Network cameras, the ongoing humiliation.

Not one of them followed the lead of his coach, in other words.

one more

Woodson’s first technical came with 8:34 left and the Hoosiers trailing 69-47. IU had the ball when it happened, meaning it was a turnover against IU — a team turnover, officially — along with two free throws for Nebraska. Woodson was so chastened, so mortified by his outburst, that he waited three whole minutes — no, 3 minutes and 14 seconds — before getting a second technical. Woodson didn’t stick around to get his money’s worth, either. At that point, if you’re really mad at the referees and have already been tossed, what do you have to lose? Stick around and make your point.

Not Woody. Nope, that sucker got his marching papers and damn near sprinted to the locker room. He couldn’t wait to leave his players and staff to fend for themselves. What’s that about the captain going down with the ship?

Not Mike Woodson. The water was rising on the decks of the Good Ship Hoosier and he got the hell out of there.

Edited by RoncalliHoosier

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I posted in transfer info, but applies here.

Hearing from local source Cupps will be a transfer. Another Big ten players dad. So it’s possible Woody changes his mind with NIL but he’s saying no structure within IU coaching.

I trust the info at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Woodson's seat is already on fire, let's keep adding fuel!

13 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

Playing in the NIT makes sense if you have enough guys staying around for the next year to develop. With 4/5 guys maybe that will be kept around no reason to play. 

NIT will be dead amongst P4 programs. Portal and the draft are going to push non NCAA tournaments out the window. I assume mid-majors will start to decline as well as the top players from mid-majors will enter the portal as soon as their season concludes. 

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I posted in transfer info, but applies here.

Hearing from local source Cupps will be a transfer. Another Big ten players dad. So it’s possible Woody changes his mind with NIL but he’s saying no structure within IU coaching.

I trust the info at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Who is saying there is no structure within Iu coaching?