Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

I think those that are holding out hope that because Dolson hasn't gone on record, Woodson may still not be back, are setting themselves up for disappointment (understandably....denial is the first stage of grief...). Woodson is under contract 3 more years, so there's no reason that Dolson would need to say anything, especially after the report a weeks ago.

That having been said, here's a 5% possibility that wouldn't entirely shock me: IU sees more substantial transfers out than the staff is expecting, and then struggles to get the type of talent Woodson is hoping to land in the portal. Thus, by mid May, Woodson can see the writing on the wall that next year is going to be ugly, so he decides to retire at that point, citing health concerns. That leaves IU scrambling after the coaches carousel has already run its course, and the transfer portal is all but squeezed dry.

I don't think this has been asked (but I drank quite a bit last night so may have missed it)

Has it been reported what Woody said to get that 2nd tech? Why is this clown mouthing at the refs when his team is down 30? Did he think the refs screwed us so badly it caused us to not execute a decent 3-point defense?? Seriously, what could he have been complaining about at that moment that justified getting a T?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I think those that are holding out hope that because Dolson hasn't gone on record, Woodson may still not be back, are setting themselves up for disappointment (understandably....denial is the first stage of grief...). Woodson is under contract 3 more years, so there's no reason that Dolson would need to say anything, especially after the report a weeks ago.
That having been said, here's a 5% possibility that wouldn't entirely shock me: IU sees more substantial transfers out than the staff is expecting, and then struggles to get the type of talent Woodson is hoping to land in the portal. Thus, by mid May, Woodson can see the writing on the wall that next year is going to be ugly, so he decides to retire at that point, citing health concerns. That leaves IU scrambling after the coaches carousel has already run its course, and the transfer portal is all but squeezed dry.
That would be incredibly bad and worst case scenario!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Malik certainly seemed like he'll be back in the post game. Where he was asked some DUMB questions, I might add. 

Malik or Mgbako? Didn't see any comments from Malik. The post game press conference was X, Mgbako and (hopefully) IU's soon to be fired coach. 

2 hours ago, Jwalk83 said:

Exactly! IU was nearly blown out by every good team they played this year and certainly barely beat anyone of quality.

They barely beat most of the cupcakes that they played early on. What a disgusting effort lead by a laughing stock of a coach.

8 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Oof, that’s the doomsday scenario. I’ve been as critical of Woody as anyone, but he has to see it through if he doesn’t leave in the next week or so. Otherwise we would crater like Mizzou. 

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We were one of the luckiest teams in the country and still lost 14 games, half of which were not close.  Imagine what kind of disaster this year would have been had we not been so lucky.

If we were truly lucky, we would be Woodson-less at this point. Odd that our luck ran out just when we needed it most.

Optics of Cupps transferring is poor.  The actual transfer would not be, IMO.  I get freshman having growing pains but he was overmatched athletically.

Anyway, see two options in terms of what you want to have happen (and I think anyone still hoping that Woodson isn't back next year is setting themselves up for something that isn't going to happen):

1.  Hope IU/Woodson doesn't change strategy and be correct that it fails next year leading to (maybe) Woodson's removal

or

2.  Hope that it somehow works out and IU does well, not knowing what that means in terms of Woodson's job but more likely meaning he is here beyond 24-25.

Obviously everyone is going to pick their own option.  I know I'm an option 2 guy and hope I'm wrong and it works out.  I know if I were a #1 guy, I doubt I would be watching games next year rooting for losses....think I'd have other things to do.

And this isn't meant as a dig at ANYONE.  Just know if I spent the next 9/12 months rooting against something on the chance that at the end of 12 months something happens that I want to happen that all it would do would raise my BP and make me miserable.  Again, not a dig at anyone, that's just how I know I personally would react.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

I don't think this has been asked (but I drank quite a bit last night so may have missed it)

Has it been reported what Woody said to get that 2nd tech? Why is this clown mouthing at the refs when his team is down 30? Did he think the refs screwed us so badly it caused us to not execute a decent 3-point defense?? Seriously, what could he have been complaining about at that moment that justified getting a T?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

We may never know unless theres audio that leaks from a fan or something. Nonetheless, Woodson was embarrased and wanted a reason to leave. That's a lack of leadership from a guy that says he's doing his job. Well Mr.Woodson, you're failing at your job in one of the weakest years in the B1G conference while having zero recruits incoming.

Help is not on the way. 

This from a couple months ago. If he were to say that again in present day, I’d laugh and say sorry Coach, I don’t think they do….unless you do what’s best and be done with this. As of right now that’s probably going to be the only way. 

IMG_3694.jpeg

6 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Malik or Mgbako? Didn't see any comments from Malik. 

Correct, Malik wasn't in the post game presser.  It was MM.  I assume Malik and MM both put their names in the draft to get feedback, both find they aren't going to be drafted (or maybe MM finds that he would be a late second this year).  NIL will be good at IU and they both will be a big part of the offense coming back so they stay at IU.

2 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I choose to believe that the IU Administration cares about the men's basketball program and that the decision makers are smart enough to realize that coach Woodson is not the answer.  I hope that the possibility of change in the next two weeks is closer to 50% than 5%.  I may be naive, but I have to think that the Administration will put the good of the program ahead of Mike Woodson's ego.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Optics of Cupps transferring is poor.  The actual transfer would not be, IMO.  I get freshman having growing pains but he was overmatched athletically.

Anyway, see two options in terms of what you want to have happen (and I think anyone still hoping that Woodson isn't back next year is setting themselves up for something that isn't going to happen):

1.  Hope IU/Woodson doesn't change strategy and be correct that it fails next year leading to (maybe) Woodson's removal

or

2.  Hope that it somehow works out and IU does well, not knowing what that means in terms of Woodson's job but more likely meaning he is here beyond 24-25.

Obviously everyone is going to pick their own option.  I know I'm an option 2 guy and hope I'm wrong and it works out.  I know if I were a #1 guy, I doubt I would be watching games next year rooting for losses....think I'd have other things to do.

And this isn't meant as a dig at ANYONE.  Just know if I spent the next 9/12 months rooting against something on the chance that at the end of 12 months something happens that I want to happen that all it would do would raise my BP and make me miserable.  Again, not a dig at anyone, that's just how I know I personally would react.

I’m somewhere in the middle. I could never root for losses, but I am pretty indifferent to the results. No matter how it goes he’s a lame duck. And that does not bode well for recruiting— portal or otherwise. We are 100% all-in on Cash Money being the recruiting tool. I am fairly convinced it’s going to be a disaster, but I will hope for the best simply because I don’t like watching IU lose. 

Dang I hope like heck that the blowout and him walking out on his team like a coward rubbed the right people the wrong way enough to say yep let’s pull the plug on this guy. If there was any doubt before last night, that should have definitely tipped the scale. Maybe if that Tuesday meeting had anything to do with outcome of tournament as something being discussed, then Woodson put an exclamation point on that one for them. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s not based on Name, Image, and Likeness.

It’s a paycheck.

Exactly, which means they are employees but the money still doesn’t come out of the university budget.  It really doesn’t have anything to do with their Name, Image and Likeness.  Didn’t this whole thing start by the universities profiting off the players?  Shouldn’t the money come out of those profits?  Shouldn’t the money be regulated by the universities?  But it is not, it’s a darn free for all and these players are getting paid by billionaires and millionaires donating money to them.  The more money they can raise, the better players they can buy.  This is totally messed up