Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

5 hours ago, IUrocker said:

The bottom line is if he doesn’t have a team full of TJDs and JHSs to save his @$$ then he doesn’t know how to win. A good program building college basketball coach doesn’t need those types of players to be successful, and he sure as heck isn’t one of those. 

Even with those two, he still only won enough (23-12) to get a 4th seed and then get blown out in the second game of the NCAAT. They (as with every Woodson team so far) had a midseason swoon where they weren't playing well and losing a lot of games, including a 3 game losing streak. Woodson himself had no idea how to fix that, it took a players only meeting. 

The guy just can't coach.

1 hour ago, RoadRage said:

I would really like to hear Dolson explain why he thinks things will be different next season. If I am Woody, I would be searching for a proven recruiter right now that actually knows how to build a team!

His arrogance and ego won't allow it. No way he needs help - at least not in his own mind.

1 minute ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I was curious and looked it up for the fam. Last time we lost 4+ games by 20 or more points? TCs second year where we lost 5. Mo Creek was our leading scorer. We have lost 5 by 20 or more this season. Let that wash over you. 

Wow! Such damning evidence that further proves Woodson’s system is awful. Unlike the MO creek team, this team had far more talent. 

26 minutes ago, TTT said:

NIT Bubble Team….Good job of getting out in front by stating IU men’s basketball will not accept an NIT bid…Just in case….Best coaching planned coaching strategy all season.

Yeah, it would really have sucked to be waiting for the invitation that doesn't come.

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

This from a couple months ago. If he were to say that again in present day, I’d laugh and say sorry Coach, I don’t think they do….unless you do what’s best and be done with this. As of right now that’s probably going to be the only way. 

IMG_3694.jpeg

Well, that didn't age well.

11 hours ago, cleeter said:

AD’s don’t have to release a statement saying “we are keeping said coach who is still under contract.” It’s been said he’s staying, he staying. Stop getting hopes up (like me) and putting yourself in this macaron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, there's no rule or law requiring them to release a statement but it would be terrible from a PR standpoint to not do so.

To not do it would make the AD look like he's out of touch with the fanbase or simply doesn't care about them. It would also make the unsaid statement that this basketball season was totally acceptable so they don't really care about basketball.

Hostile fans would become more hostile from feeling totally ignored. Boosters who want him gone would also feel ignored. Those groups would start to include the AD in calls for being fired. The media would include in the negative articles how the AD doesn't even support the coach, isn't truly behind him. Coaching recruiting against Woodson would use that to make his job even harder. It would basically torpedo the program by refusing to do so. It wouldn't even have to be sincere but it has to be done.

IU ADs have released these statements after bad basketball and especially bad football seasons when fans (and sometimes the media) want the HC fired. If you don't know that you must not have been around long or just not have paid attention.

2 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I can’t share my source or provide more detail, but the differnece in discipline off the court is night and day with the basketball team compared to the football team. There are systemic issues that cannot change under Woodson 

The difference having a real coach makes. 

3 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I can’t share my source or provide more detail, but the differnece in discipline off the court is night and day with the basketball team compared to the football team. There are systemic issues that cannot change under Woodson 

Are you insinuating there’s issues off the court and it’s hindering the team?

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Yes, there's no rule or law requiring them to release a statement but it would be terrible from a PR standpoint to not do so.

To not do it would make the AD look like he's out of touch with the fanbase or simply doesn't care about them. It would also make the unsaid statement that this basketball season was totally acceptable so they don't really care about basketball.

Hostile fans would become more hostile from feeling totally ignored. Boosters who want him gone would also feel ignored. Those groups would start to include the AD in calls for being fired. The media would include in the negative articles how the AD doesn't even support the coach, isn't truly behind him. Coaching recruiting against Woodson would use that to make his job even harder. It would basically torpedo the program by refusing to do so. It wouldn't even have to be sincere but it has to be done.

IU ADs have released these statements after bad basketball and especially bad football seasons when fans (and sometimes the media) want the HC fired. If you don't know that you must not have been around long or just not have paid attention.

Yeah. It's not like he has to put out an official statement on IU letterhead. He could do something as simple as going on a podcast and verbally confirm the story/offer full throated support for Woody, in the course of a much larger discussion to get his talking points about other topics in too. The AD just needs to be visible, period

5 minutes ago, MrBBall said:

Are you insinuating there’s issues off the court and it’s hindering the team?

I mean, Miller Kopp was going viral on social media for his healthy living videos (along with some funny stuff). We didn’t have nearly as much of that vibe this year.

Losing Trayce, Race, JHS, and Miller changed the locker room culture a ton. Anthony Leal got lots of run this year in a real part because he is a hard worker and an academically oriented, dependable human being.

1 hour ago, IU Prof said:

I think those that are holding out hope that because Dolson hasn't gone on record, Woodson may still not be back, are setting themselves up for disappointment (understandably....denial is the first stage of grief...). Woodson is under contract 3 more years, so there's no reason that Dolson would need to say anything, especially after the report a weeks ago.

That having been said, here's a 5% possibility that wouldn't entirely shock me: IU sees more substantial transfers out than the staff is expecting, and then struggles to get the type of talent Woodson is hoping to land in the portal. Thus, by mid May, Woodson can see the writing on the wall that next year is going to be ugly, so he decides to retire at that point, citing health concerns. That leaves IU scrambling after the coaches carousel has already run its course, and the transfer portal is all but squeezed dry.

……so Dolson should have a meeting with the players and get a feel where they are all at. I know the players don’t make the coaching decisions, per se, but their input is pretty important. 

Why put spend money and fill up the car if nobody wants or needs a ride?

5 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Please eject me so I don’t have to sit here with these losers who don’t have enough talent for me to win? 

In all seriousness the more I chewed on the ejection the more it irked me. Your senior PG is shattered on the bench, and you calmly walk to the locker room. Pure cowardice. He hasn’t even gotten a tech to my knowledge all season. I am more upset over not facing the music with your team than I ever was over not being a true fan.

But no one is asking ‘why’ he wanted the t. They assume it’s bc he’s petty. I mean losing by a ton isn’t new for him or the team.