Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

Thing is we don't even know who those players will be.  At least in the NBA you know who's contracts are up and who you can target in free agency.  This is just a crapshoot.  

"Crapshoot" seems, from the outside, to be the strategy all along. And Woodson isn't a great gambler. 

It gets be like an NBA free agency thing for Woodson. No need to do actual work and recruit building block players. Just pay the ones that are available to come play for you. Atta boy…
Clear to see why his age isn't really a factor. He does not have to pound the pavement and work hard. He goes has his assistants buy him some players.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

New team, takes time to learn the defense, blah blah blah. They kept him so his feelings didn't get hurt, they'll find an excuse.

IU has had plenty of experience making excuses over the last 20 years, one of the few things they've done well.

Can we hang an excuses banner?  :)  

25 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Of all the guys that have reason not to transfer, Cupps tops the list. I mean why would he? He's starting, though he's not ready to even be a rotational player on a P5 team. He makes a killing on merch due to IU's fan base. What am I missing here!

Woodson. His style will keep Cupps and any other guard that they manage to get just feeding the post... 

25 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

No. QB talked them into getting Woody a few years ago because he was an NBA coach. With their limited sports background, they think if you can coach the Knicks than you can coach IU. Then Fred made the switch aroo by hiring Archie with their money so now they're showing us by keeping Mike around for a 4th year and trying to give him everything he needs to be successful. 

Buckner: separating fools from their money since 2016.

24 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

They clearly don't realize the Knicks fired him after 3 years. 

Odd, the fired him in the time frame we should have.

And they fired him for the same crappy coaching style that he's foisted on Indiana... hello? McFly?

2 hours ago, Five Prime said:

IF Woodson gets a GM for the basketball program maybe this could actually work.  I'm sure high level college athletics are messy to navigate with NIL and transfer portal, which is a full time job itself.  If he can get the players he needs to run the system he wants then maybe...?  I'm trying to find the positive here.  

He will have to go the portal route. If I’m the parent of a high school kid that is looking to make a decision on a top school to go to and the HC won’t come see my son and we meet with the GM. That’s a hard no. 

2 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

He will have to go the portal route. If I’m the parent of a high school kid that is looking to make a decision on a top school to go to and the HC won’t come see my son and we meet with the GM. That’s a hard no. 

Just for the sake of argument, isn't that sort of how professional sports are run?  Coach coaches and the GM manages the roster.  If we are in a new era of semiprofessional/pro-lite college sports, why can't that paradigm shift too?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

Coming to this board and reading messages from "sources" is all part of the draw and fun. Even if they do not prove to be true. 

And I get it, rumors are just rumors, some prove to be true and others false. However, something is very odd in this whole situation. Where did all the smoke come from? 

What is with the weird timing of last night's press release? Why did they not name a specific source?

And most of all, how could anybody in leadership look at this program and think it's going in the right direction? Do they not understand the college game? Do they not understand that no other program would have hired Woodson in a million years?

Being 39 years old, I've experienced more turbulence from this program than good, but like all of you, I'm hanging in there. But I'm reaching my breaking point. Why should I be so passionate about a program in which the leadership is ok with mediocrity? It's absolutely infuriating. 

Wait a second... Rick Majerus has been dead only 11 years. I'm starting to think you might not actually be the Ghost of Rick Majerus...

Then if all the players he chooses in the portal don’t work out he’ll get to say “well we’re a new team…” and just get to act like all he has to do is plug in different ones the following year. Hopefully it doesn’t get that far and he really does plan to just have a 4th year, using whatever new resources that get thrown at him to have a successful season to go out on. 

3 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Just for the sake of argument, isn't that sort of how professional sports are run?  Coach coaches and the GM manages the roster.  If we are in a new era of semiprofessional/pro-lite college sports, why can't that paradigm shift too?

Because the coach (getting paid 4.5 million dollar a year) should evaluate and convince the players he wants to COACH

Part of recruiting now is also building relationships for future chances at the portal. Not all the kids are moving up from lower levels. I have no doubt having his job secured now that the lack of HS recruiting is now going to slow to trickle. Woody and his plan have been validated by the money people. It is so short sighted it’s almost shameful. Money is not the only factor in portal recruiting, and we are treating as such now. Mark my words I have a feeling we are in for a rude awakening in the portal too. I actually have serious concerns about even fielding a full team of high major level players. We left a flipping scholarship unused this year. 

I love the sunshine-pumpers on twitter/x acting like we are the crazy ones for wanting a new coach.  We won 3 games in a row and now we are Duke, Carolina, UCONN etc.  We're Back Baby!  Back to NIT maybe 
They are acting liking like Woodson just won the big ten. Guys stating he needs much more time to get this going and this year isn't his fault. Boy I knew the expectations had gotten low but man it's worse than I even thought

2 hours ago, Hornsby said:

I wonder if the old guard who craved an iu guy who played for knight is loving this nba farm team approach Woodson has. I think Woodson and happy would be best friends if happy was a real person.