Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

If the Simons did pay up Mack may get more here than anywhere else 

Money poorly spent if they did.

Maybe one more year for maybe a first round exit if that followed by an extension? So excited for next year and the future....this sucks

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh please! Last year Oregon got nothing out of Ware save for frustration and sadness.

We have used Ware's full skillset this year, and he's gotten better and better as the year has gone on:

image.png

Maybe I should have used another word than skillset. Maybe "utilized him in a different way" is a better way to put it. 

I don't dispute Ware has improved leaps and bounds in terms of his motor/production, etc.

What I'm getting at is we had a perfect stretch 5 man to play a 4 out, 1 in offense with.

I don't think we necessarily played to his strengths in that sense and would have liked to see more DHOs with Gallo. Just my two cents

19 minutes ago, Redcamaro said:

Man, I can't see how we don't land a couple of stud guards from the portal after the season. Perception everywhere is that our weakness is guard play. People see how well we play the inside game. Keep the core together and with our NIL package we should be able to draw some interest.

The Mike Woodson going to the portal for success is going to crash and burn.  Book it.  Looks like we'll need 4-5 studs to come in.  Yet if you look at last year's numbers:  Of the top 25 players -- Bama, Gonzaga, TCU and TX each got 2.  If you drop to down to top 50 -- Nova, Kansas, and WVU each got 3. 

Now who's going to convince me, the Mike Woodson is going to be able to pull 3-4+ of the top players from the portal against some of the better programs in the nation.  Give me a break.  It's a pipe dream.  

With the way college sports are changing, IU could be in danger of being relegated to some lesser league given how bad we are at basketball and football. How many other Big 10 schools have worse basketball/football results recently than IU? 

13 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

So save $ and fly him in from wherever after every game and do that.

But then it's not "cool" anymore because he doesn't have the cache of being IUBB's HC. Lol

3 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Think of all the stud coaches we missed out in because our administration is incompetent.

Matta
Beilein
Steven's

Dusty May up next on the list.

You gotta be beyond incompetent to miss out of all of them.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

The combined college coaching record of those three that we "missed out on" by hiring Woody?

32-31

Woody's record since then?

61-39

Because Beilein and Stevens have not returned to the college game (a combined 0-0 record), and Matta has been meh at Butler.

If you're gonna constantly (and I mean constantly) be nasty to IU and Woody, at least try to maintain accuracy.

36 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

All the more reason every P6 school will have one in next 2/3 years or less. GM is needed by all. Football even more so. 

some can’t remove their displeasure for all things Woody and see anything else. 

How many “GM” roles are out there for all sports and colleges in the nation?

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

From what it sounds like the family that wanted to keep Woody here a 4th year and employs QB has agreed to put more money into our NIL efforts. They are going to give Woody every chance to get the players he wants in this portal. 

Unless that is a permanent commitment then who cares?  If it is true that Woody thinks he has to build out of the portal every year they are going to have to pony up all that money until he is gone and all that to likely have a ceiling of what he did with 2 NBA draft picks last year.

He isn't the answer but leave it to people who made their money off shopping malls to throw their weight behind a coach who is stuck in the 80's and 90's.  It is really on brand.

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The combined college coaching record of those three that we "missed out on" by hiring Woody?

32-31

61-39

Because Beilein and Stevens have not returned to the college game (a combined 0-0 record), and Matta has been meh at Butler.

If you're gonna constantly (and I mean constantly) be nasty to IU and Woody, at least try to maintain accuracy.

Matta has been better than meh if you actually watch the improvements he’s made given what he was taking over when he got back to Butler although he wasn’t a real candidate last time.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

32-31

61-39

I'm not saying we necessarily "missed" on all those coaches because I didn't follow that stuff so closely at the time.

However, with all due respect, this "stat" does seem sort of disingenuous based on Beilein and Stevens having not coached in college during that time. The stat is really just comparing Woody to Matta, so it's fair IMO to say he shouldn't have been included on Hornsby's original list. I recognize it's been a long time since those guys have coached college basketball and it's no guarantee they would have been more successful than Woody here. But they had done it before, Woody hadn't. Not sure I'd say we "missed out" on them but would find it fair to put them in the category of stud coaches who aren't employed here. Where you place the blame for that (administration or elsewhere) is probably up for interpretation - who knows how realistic they actually were at the time? Apparently not very... Would they have done a better job? I definitely think so.

I do agree with your last point 100%. Realizing I'm more negative than usual at the moment but yesterday's news is hard to swallow. Wound is still fresh and people are venting, little bit of hyperbole (some of which I am also guilty of) going on.

Woody is our guy, I'm rooting for them to figure it out and finish strong/have a great year next year. Just wishing I could see a more realistic path toward that happening... with so much going on this month and next, I'm looking forward to the news cycle giving us more reasons to be hopeful/optimistic/excited. 

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

32-31

61-39

I don't think he's alluding to those 3 in the present day:

Matta circa 2003-04

Beilein 2006

Stevens 2011 or 2014-15

7 minutes ago, Sardinefarts1991 said:

Where is everyone coming up with this GM thing?  Or are we just guessing that's probably the bandaid they are gonna use to keep Woody?

Goodman suggested it last night

2 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

Long-time, first time. This is a cool community and I figured I'd start posting...I won't add much, if any, in the way of intelligent conversation but I probably won't anger too many either. To paraphrase, "I gotta lot of thoughts and now, you people are going to hear about them". I am not in a position to hear things that are interesting like Chris007 does or know people (maybe?) like KathywithaC does but I do have information from time to time...typically about football, a program that should have prepared us for having blind hope with no rational expectation for success!

I'm not at all happy Woodson is back, no need to rehash any of the reasons. It's an illogical decision made on the basis of faulty thinking and people in power flexing their privilege to keep a man employed for selfish reasons. The head coach at Indiana University, in any sport, should be a position of merit. Not one kept because of connections to donors and past accomplishments (not as a coach though). That horse has been beaten to death. Moving on...

-Given the extremely large war chest of NIL funds that Mike Woodson and his staff (whoever that may be...I think it's likely all three assistants stay and a recruiting GM type, perhaps a Kenny Payne?, gets added to the staff. Armond Hill might be done, who knows) are being handed by the collectives plus more funds from the Simon family, Indiana will be a very attractive option for guys like Mackenzie Mgbako, Malik Reneau and Trey Galloway. They might not love everything about the system Woodson runs but it does not appear to me that they despise the man and the effort is certainly on the floor right now. If we add a good rim-protecting center that can move and play out of the paint on offense and then pair him with Malik (who really needs to become a better rebounder and stop fouling so much), convince Mgbako to come back and add Liam McNeeley...that's a good start. Find 2-3 difference-making guards with a huge offer of NIL funds and we'd be cooking. My hope would be it would be good enough to get like a 7-seed in the tournament. Maybe we win a round or two and Woody feels good enough about things to "gracefully retire" feeling he has stabilized IU basketball. That's best case scenario, obviously. Much guff will be given about needing to acquire a rim protecting center but if Malik is in the lineup, it's kind of a must. He's not big enough and not a good enough defender or rebounder to play him at center. He'd foul out in 15 minutes per game.

-How does everyone think Woodson will want to handle the non-conference schedule next season? I could see him wanting to rack up 9 or 10 wins in guarantee games instead of making it a really challenging non-conference slate. It'll be a lot of new pieces and I could see him justifying an easy non-conference schedule (we'd have to actually thump those teams to not tank our NET rating this time around) by pointing out all of the new players. I just don't see him wanting to go play a bunch of high-profile games again with the pressure on.

Fire Woody

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Goodman suggested it last night

I also think it was mentioned in vague terms by Eric on the Spaces thing he did last night. He kinda alluded to all three assistants being back but the staff being somewhat different with an addition. I don't know if the term "GM" was used by him and he was not sure what all the role would entail but it would be primarily recruiting based.

Feels like IU is Blockbuster and we failed to buy Netflix (Stevens in 2011) when we had the chance

Feels like IU is Blockbuster and we failed to buy Netflix (Dusty May in 2024) when we had the chance….

How is it that the Fanbase can see it but no one else does!!!!