Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

8 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Sorry to keep bumping this, but did anyone ever explain what the Woody was a Bridge comment meant? Bridge to a specific plan or coach, what the heck was their strategy when they hired him? 

My expectation was that he would put the program on a solid foundation.  Rebuild recruiting in state, develop players, win enough to make the tournament regularly, and then work on a smooth transition to the next guy.  Had no expectation that he would be an arrogant sob who’s basically destroying the program.  

3 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

Come on. This is the program and AD who hired Woodson in the first place. 

A 60-something coach with ZERO college basketball coaching experience who hadn't even been an NBA head coach for years. There was no part of this that was logical. 

There's no part of keeping Woodson and throwing a bunch of money at the portal that's logical either. You're going to get a bunch of pieces that aren't going to fit together. It's going to be a season of Misfit Toys.

That’s because Woodson on wants the highest rated players he can get and that he doesn’t recruit to fit his system he plays because he has no exact system he plays.  

Say what you will, but I think the lack of transfers from IU (MR, MM, CG, others) is telling. In my mind, they're not "all in" on Woodson. They're waiting to see what happens. This probably sounds like a crazy theory, but I think Gunn specifically is outta-here. If anything related to Pearl or another highly regarded coach is remotely a possibility, they stay and wait for a few more weeks until the tournament is over. Or, I'm crazy.

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

My expectation was that he would put the program on a solid foundation.  Rebuild recruiting in state, develop players, win enough to make the tournament regularly, and then work on a smooth transition to the next guy.  Had no expectation that he would be an arrogant sob who’s basically destroying the program.  

Go back and read what he actually said about that bridge. Here are the direct quotes:

"Because it’s going to be my job to bridge the gap between young people who don’t know who coach Woodson is and the old-timers who don’t know who I am. I’m going to bring all the old-timers back like the old days, and we going to bridge the gap between old and new."

"A lot of these old-timers, they probably look at me as an old-timer. We laid the groundwork for where we are today and those players should never, ever be forgotten and in my heart they won’t ever be forgotten. So I will bring them all back and bridge this gap that’s so desperately needed why the young players and the young fan base that we do have, a lot of these young fan base, they don’t know who I am and I get that."

It was always about making sure everyone knew how important Mike Woodson and his buddies were. 

2 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

Say what you will, but I think the lack of transfers from IU (MR, MM, CG, others) is telling. In my mind, they're not "all in" on Woodson. They're waiting to see what happens. This probably sounds like a crazy theory, but I think Gunn specifically is outta-here. If anything related to Pearl or another highly regarded coach is remotely a possibility, they stay and wait for a few more weeks until the tournament is over. Or, I'm crazy.

Banks and Gunn today. I don't think we'll see anyone else this week at least. 

24 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I perused back through the hiring of Woodson thread a while ago because I was curious of my own reaction. Your characterization is correct, at least for this board. The hiring of Matta and Fife definitely softened the blow for a lot of people.   

The bridge terminology is something I think we fans came up with. It was the only logical way a hiring of someone that age was going to make any sense on a long term scale. Obviously we are seeing the many flaws with that bit of hope too. 

I think the key that got the fanbase to buy-in was having Matta and Fife.  Well that went out the window very fast and I think that started the downhill spiral and had made many fans skeptical 

8 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

You could be correct.  However, I think it may have to do with the bench players realizing that they are going to take a pay cut if they leave.  My guess is that every player that stays received a NIL bump.  The players are in the real world now and have to decide if money makes them happy or playing time is their priority.  

9 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

Go back and read what he actually said about that bridge. Here are the direct quotes:

"Because it’s going to be my job to bridge the gap between young people who don’t know who coach Woodson is and the old-timers who don’t know who I am. I’m going to bring all the old-timers back like the old days, and we going to bridge the gap between old and new."

"A lot of these old-timers, they probably look at me as an old-timer. We laid the groundwork for where we are today and those players should never, ever be forgotten and in my heart they won’t ever be forgotten. So I will bring them all back and bridge this gap that’s so desperately needed why the young players and the young fan base that we do have, a lot of these young fan base, they don’t know who I am and I get that."

It was always about making sure everyone knew how important Mike Woodson and his buddies were. 

Well they did accomplish that. :)

26 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Banks and Gunn today. I don't think we'll see anyone else this week at least. 

I have wondered about the portal and whether a player the caliber of MM or MR (who would both garner huge interest and money) would delay while fielding offers behind the scenes. Maybe delay until you know there is a greener pasture if simply winning basketball games is not that important you to prevent burning any bridges at IU and that potential payday. Obviously there is no planet where we wouldn't take someone like MM back if he dipped his toe in the portal but decided against it, but the optics of someone like him entering are devastating from a program perspective in my opinion and he obviously would know that. Contrast it to someone like Dickinson who stated pretty clearly NIL was bad at Michigan, no reason not to jump in with two feet and go to the highest bidder so to speak. Yay free agency for IU basketball. 

4 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I have wondered about the portal and whether a player the caliber of MM or MR (who would both garner huge interest and money) would delay while fielding offers behind the scenes. Maybe delay until you know there is a greener pasture if simply winning basketball games is not that important you to prevent burning any bridges at IU and that potential payday. Obviously there is no planet where we wouldn't take someone like MM back if he dipped his toe in the portal but decided against it, but the optics of someone like him entering are devastating from a program perspective in my opinion and he obviously would know that. Contrast it to someone like Dickinson who stated pretty clearly NIL was bad at Michigan, no reason not to jump in with two feet and go to the highest bidder so to speak. Yay free agency for IU basketball. 

I think it is one of those things where they have gotten an IU offer. Now they are fielding other offers and trying to decide what is more important money, going closer to home, winning, and of course negotiations. 

Just now, Hoosier1984 said:

At that rate that 6 mil will be gone in no time. 

$6 million for 13 players equals an average of $461,500 per player.

If the three lowest paid players make $150,00 each, that leaves $5.5 million-ish for ten players. 

If the next lowest five players average $250k each, that leaves almost $1 million per year for our top five players.

That kind of cabbage will buy us a 'best of portal' team in a hurry.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

A bridge to a younger coach who will be here for a long time. He's old so he's just bridging the past to the future. Who that is? Well, there is no plan for that

Honestly, I think this is more what they were referring to, and not what some read into it.  Bringing the past players back into the program, uniting with recent and current players, and building a bridge to the future.  I don’t think there was any assumption that Woodson would be a short term coach.  In fact, Dolson said publicly he was looking for a CEO of the basketball program with this hire.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

6 figures

I'm personally sceptical of Bank's future. I see a bit of JG in Bank's game and wonder if he will ever be anything close to an intuitive basketball player. I'm not sold on him at all and think he'll follow the career trajectory of JG. 

I do, however, think there is still a chance that Gunn could become a pretty good player. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet, but if he gets in the right situation, he may thrive. A lot.