Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Don’t worry guys Bryan Nullins is visiting tomorrow. I’ll show him how I developed Tracy Jackson Davies with the help of my assistant Kenyon Hunter. I was hoping to add the little guy from UNC last year but missed out. Wish it would have worked out with Ian McNeely and Cory Bidunga but just missed on them. But I won’t stop trying to get us over the hump. You’re homie.

Mike “Woody” Woodson 

I am going to start signing work emails “You’re Homie” 

Don’t worry guys Bryan Nullins is visiting tomorrow. I’ll show him how I developed Tracy Jackson Davies with the help of my assistant Kenyon Hunter. I was hoping to add the little guy from UNC last year but missed out. Wish it would have worked out with Ian McNeely and Cory Bidunga but just missed on them. But I won’t stop trying to get us over the hump. You’re homie.

Mike “Woody” Woodson 

Mike we got Caleb love on campus you want to talk to him? Who is that is he the center from northwestern?

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Glad I could contribute to your day. 

Said it already . Dusty might go to OSU and win but thinking he can handle IU is different. This is the same guy who went home, cried and had a break down when he saw FAU facilities after he accepted the job and almost quit the same night. He can’t handle this mess. This is way harder than some facilities and a program with zero expectations. Coming in after Crean, maybe would work. Not now. 

Ignoring that is the real hilariously bad take. 

He took the job site unseen?

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You don’t come to IU and say you’re going to compete for Big Ten and National Championships then by the end of year 3 you’re not making the tournament. We’re on the bubble for the NIT. 

Add in recruiting is a disaster. Don’t go to HS or AAU games, don’t know anyone’s name. 

Just need a full reset.

So my opinion, take it for what it is worth, I think you go out and find a good coach.  A good X's and O's guy who seems competent at landing players.  I think either Pearl or May could fall into that category.  However, I think you look for a winner.  I think Pearl's positives are clear.  To make a case for May, he and his staff walked into a spot where they had to hide facilities and they were still able to identify the right players and recruit to a point where they turned around that program and were winning despite their disadvantages.   I could work with that.

Hopefully whomever you bring in has an idea of what he wants to run and what his ideal players look like.  From there, I play a bit of the moneyball approach to recruiting at the college level.  We have a bunch of money to use.  I wouldn't do what Woodson has done and swung for so many big fish.   I would target a few of them but I would really focus in on guys in that 40-100 range to try and build a foundation.  And I would make that clear.  I plan on building a bit of a foundation that we can always fall back on to try and avoid wild fluctuations in performance from year to year.  Stick with me, my goal is challenging for a conference title and Sweet 16 type of team by year 4.  You should see us grow to that.

The portal would be used to fill gaps, not rosters.  Hopefully I am successful enough that in years 5-10 I get more shots at the 1-40 guys but the bread and butter should be the kids that are in that 40 to 100 range that tend to stick longer.  Does that get a title?  I don't know.  However, with the right guy who has a plan I think it at least gets us to a stable point like a Purdue has been.  Then you can start talking about pushing the NIL a little more and gamble a little more on the big fish.

I don't think the crash diet version of roster building is going to work long term.  

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

So my opinion, take it for what it is worth, I think you go out and find a good coach.  A good X's and O's guy who seems competent at landing players.  I think either Pearl or May could fall into that category.  However, I think you look for a winner.  I think Pearl's positives are clear.  To make a case for May, he and his staff walked into a spot where they had to hide facilities and they were still able to identify the right players and recruit to a point where they turned around that program and were winning despite their disadvantages.   I could work with that.

Hopefully whomever you bring in has an idea of what he wants to run and what his ideal players look like.  From there, I play a bit of the moneyball approach to recruiting at the college level.  We have a bunch of money to use.  I wouldn't do what Woodson has done and swung for so many big fish.   I would target a few of them but I would really focus in on guys in that 40-100 range to try and build a foundation.  And I would make that clear.  I plan on building a bit of a foundation that we can always fall back on to try and avoid wild fluctuations in performance from year to year.  Stick with me, my goal is challenging for a conference title and Sweet 16 type of team by year 4.  You should see us grow to that.

The portal would be used to fill gaps, not rosters.  Hopefully I am successful enough that in years 5-10 I get more shots at the 1-40 guys but the bread and butter should be the kids that are in that 40 to 100 range that tend to stick longer.  Does that get a title?  I don't know.  However, with the right guy who has a plan I think it at least gets us to a stable point like a Purdue has been.  Then you can start talking about pushing the NIL a little more and gamble a little more on the big fish.

I don't think the crash diet version of roster building is going to work long term.  

I love this. As someone said here earlier the reason Cig’s way works is because he has a plan. You use your plan and follow it to a T. You just presented a nice plan. Right now the plan changes by the month.

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You don’t come to IU and say you’re going to compete for Big Ten and National Championships then by the end of year 3 you’re not making the tournament. We’re on the bubble for the NIT. 

Add in recruiting is a disaster. Don’t go to HS or AAU games, don’t know anyone’s name. 

Just need a full reset.

Plus Woody made claims that he was going to run a 4 out offense and even stated he changed that to utilize TJD.  So going into this year we expected to see him build that offense. Instead he reverts back to feed the post and now says that is how the college game should be played. 

He also said he was going to build through HS and supplement with the portal. That hasn’t been the case and I think he tactically made a mistake thinking he could do this without putting in the time to go to HS kids games.  

Add these to his comments about competing for BT and national titles but finding ourselves pretty far from both most of his time here.  Last year showed some hope and he seemed to have a bit of recruiting momentum but he seems to have misjudged his ability to build through HS recruiting. 

So as we sit here now, 0 HS recruits, the one we had just left and we will have at a minimum 4 portal needs but in reality we will need a minimum of 6 and perhaps several more.  Given Woodys age, the chance to rebuild for sustainable success is gone with him as HC. He could get mercenaries to come in and might just they lucky enough to have some success but building through HS is unfathomable until we make a HC change. 

2 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I don’t know if Dusty succeeds here or not but I do know he’d put his all into it because this is actually his dream job unlike Mike who just likes the title. Wouldn’t have to worry about dusty not out recruiting or not knowing people’s names. He plays modern offense and I think he’s a smart enough guy to adapt if something isn’t working. Can’t say either of those about woody

You can see that May is a better X’s and O’s coach and his offense alone would be attractive to recruits 

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Don’t worry guys Bryan Nullins is visiting tomorrow. Mike Woodson will show him how Mike Woodson developed Tracy Jackson Davies with the help of Mike Woodson's assistant Kenyon Hunter. Mike Woodson was hoping to add the little guy from UNC last year but missed out. Wish it would have worked out with Ian McNeely and Cory Bidunga but just missed on them. But Mike Woodson won’t stop trying to get us over the hump. You’re homie.

Mike “Woody” Woodson 

changed it a bit. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I love this. As someone said here earlier the reason Cig’s way works is because he has a plan. You use your plan and follow it to a T. You just presented a nice plan. Right now the plan changes by the month.

This is such a hot take and absolutely ridiculous. You have no idea what you’re talking about. Saying the plan changes by the month. 

There is no plan!

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Going off the Assembly Call show they did earlier this week, Mike Weismuth (sp) Iu_in_philly or something like that when he was a lowly poster like us said that when he was looking at things and putting together his stats to see what successful coaches looked like early on, the most important thing was that second and third recruiting cycle.  You have to hit on those guys.  You have to get the right guys in to run what you want to run.  You mess up on those 2 recruiting cycles and you are not likely to last past year 5.

I think any new coach should have that in mind.  You can have hiccups in year 1 and 2.  That is when you have your fan honeymoon and can still sell recruits on the idea that things aren't great yet because I haven't been able to completely enact my vision yet.  By year 3 or 4 you have to have things moving positively or you are toast.

Woodson's biggest issue this year isn't so much just the losses, it is that he has doubled down on a philosophy that isn't in vogue (or winning enough) and he has absolutely nothing he can point to for the fanbase going into year 4 to say, "See, help is on the way.  Can you see my vision with what we have coming?"  He has nothing to sell right now.  You can't be in that spot in year 3.  You have to come in with a five year plan and execute it.  I don't think Woodson really thought that far ahead.  I think he thought the Indiana name, his NBA experience, and money was going to buy him some of the best rosters in college and he would just outcoach these minor leaguers from there.  That hasn't been the case.  In fact, it was super unlikely to work that way and was a flawed approach to begin with.

2 hours ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Yea AH will be as it always is. The seniors will be celebrated, no one will get booed unless we get blasted off the court. The BTT is where the displeasure will arise, it always is. Really hope we don’t see Gallo and Leal participate in senior night. Since the head coach went down n record saying he doesn’t know, has anyone seen anything leaning one way or another? 

My thinking is, if we don’t see anything from Trey and Anthony today, they will be going through senior day. Usually the kids announce on social media if they are coming back.