Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

What I don't get is Woodson saying that 'he didn't know if Trey and Anthony would be going through senior day ceremonies, he hadn't sat down with them yet'.

How can a head coach not have had those conversations yet?   Yes, things can change, but having a gauge on who might/might not come back should have a huge effect on recruiting.

20 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

If we hired May I think we could get the entire FAU team to come here and we’d be in great shape over night 

May's best players, plus our best minus Ware, and a couple from the portal would have us in the tournament next year. Plus we would be good with the 2025 guys and primed for the future. Alas...

6 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

I dont think I would go that far.  There were people upset that Archie was selected.  

But he had a great name!  ya meathead you!  

Besides Quinn Buckner and Mike Woodson? Interesting...

2 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

Give the kid a break, he does everything the right way and plays hard.  He was asked to do a lot, let him hit the weights and grow as a player.  We seen Malik’s jump, Cupps could have that same jump in year 2.

It's not really a weights issue.  He is strong.  He's slow and at least at this point not savvy enough to make up for it.

5 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Yep he basically said Woodson is now out of that honeymoon stage where recruits usually aren't judging your results. No wonder recruiting had dried up.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I don't think that's why recruiting has dried up.  I think as the season has gone along, Woodson has decided he wants to focus on the portal only so.he can get proven, experienced players.  Hes had to rely on too many young guys this year and would probably be happy to never rely on underclassmen again.

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Thought maybe there might be other nuggets I missed

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

KathywithaC was back this morning in the McNeeley thread letting us know that at IU the wheels of change turn slowly.  I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along those lines.  

Trilly is wrong a lot about IU because he doesn’t have a direct relationship with the staff like he has in many places. Or an agent to lean on. He also relies on Eric from HH for a lot of it. 

I think he will adjust to not make such profound takes on IU IF, IF he values his accuracy above profit. He just posted on Twitter the difference In engagement with IU channel vs all other schools. It was like most had 200 or so posts this week and IU was 15.000.
I don't listen to HH but people say Eric is nuts. Is he really a good source?

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Didn’t Race? 

I believe so.  I think he every intention of either moving on and playing closer to home or trying his luck at playing professionally somewhere.  I really think NIL helped change his direction -- was going to make more at Indiana than closer to home and than he would have made in Minnesota.  Plus I do think he liked playing at Indiana and was close to TJD and Kopp.

7 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Trilly is wrong a lot about IU because he doesn’t have a direct relationship with the staff like he has in many places. Or an agent to lean on. He also relies on Eric from HH for a lot of it. 

I think he will adjust to not make such profound takes on IU IF, IF he values his accuracy above profit. He just posted on Twitter the difference In engagement with IU channel vs all other schools. It was like most had 200 or so posts this week and IU was 15.000.

Trilly adjusts sources when he feels it becomes necessary.  He flat out said last year that he was not going to post any Louisville material for the rest of the year because it was all unreliable.

5 minutes ago, yard_dog said:

I don't think that's why recruiting has dried up.  I think as the season has gone along, Woodson has decided he wants to focus on the portal only so.he can get proven, experienced players.  Hes had to rely on too many young guys this year and would probably be happy to never rely on underclassmen again.

Agree on his desire to concentrate on portal but a big part of it is also that he doesn't want to be bothered with recruiting 12 months of the year and he doesn't want to spend that much time actually coaching/teaching players.

Welcome to btb.  Lots of differences of opinion these days but still the best place to be.

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

If Woody did pull it off, why wouldn’t you run it again.

If he doesn’t, total meltdown, yes, that is easier for new coach and give another year to find the big time hire.

there is a real scenario where you trade 1 more year vs 3/4 years and doing it again. 

Why do you think they are any more likely to have this perfect hire set up after another disaster season next year than they are this year?  Who identifies themselves as a target other than another flavor of the month which you seem afraid of trying?

Your scenario is just as likely to trade 4 bad years for 5 by keeping the current bad hire around an extra year.

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

If Woody did pull it off, why wouldn’t you run it again.

If he doesn’t, total meltdown, yes, that is easier for new coach and give another year to find the big time hire.

there is a real scenario where you trade 1 more year vs 3/4 years and doing it again. 

Or you are just lighting another year on fire, miss out on huge building blocks in state for the next 4 years (none of these guys are playing for Woodson), and you are still almost definitely looking for a new coach next year. How you can die on a hill for someone who continues to make a complete mockery of the job is dumbfounding. The good news is, we won’t have to wait till next year to know. Portal closes beginning of May, so we’ll all be able to tell how bad this administration once again screwed over its fanbase. 

You know it’s bad when the solution is: We’ll bring woody back and try to buy him the best possible roster we can. Everyone knows that is the only way to get anyone to even consider coming to play for him. 

Step one of getting out of the hole: quit digging and put down your shovel. 

The only way this is going to work out in a face saving manner is for Woody to publicly announce he plans to retire at the end of the 24-25 season.  That completely ends the speculation among all parties involved and gives Dolson an entire year to line up the new guy.  If that doesn't happen then next year at this time it's going to be deja vu all over again.

Or better yet, in his post-game presser after we're bounced from the BTT, he announces he's retiring effective immediately.  Yeah, I know that ain't gonna happen.

3 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

It can be true he decided system wasn’t for him. It could be simply Self staying on it, his buddy didn’t come and he wants an easier 1 year of college (that is his expectation, same as every top 10)

I do know all the times he saw him in person and that alone should be plenty for a coach in season. I have personally been involved in recruiting and those whom I am close to. Woody did as much or more. Walsh stayed in constant contact too and that is the norm for the assistant to continue to be the text and phone call guy after commit in season. That was a cop out reason. 

My entire thing on toxic fans etc being an issue has nothing to do with Liam. Even if TJD is liking tweets saying that was the issue. I just think it is a real problem that for some reason, fans don’t want to acknowledge at all.

People can laugh at it but yes, multiple things can be true at once. Woody can suck at everything and we still have major issues with our fanbase and need a reset of expectations fully again with next coach. 

The fans are getting more and more impatient because IU has hired terrible coach after terrible coach. The fans are noticing it. Uninspired hires like Woodson won't generate a lot of love or patience. When he was hired, there was a collective "WTF!?" across the fanbase. So when the coach that no one wanted started showing signs that he can't cut it, the fans want him gone. Especially after Miller and the last 20+ years of combined incompetence with more bad seasons than good seasons.

What's going unnoticed is that it's only the vocal fans that are getting impatient though. Many more are just losing interest. This will catch up to IU soon if they keep f**king around keeping bad coaches too long only to replace them with an equally bad or worse coach. That's their MO.

Since Knight they've hired:

Assistant coach with no head coaching experience and not even much assistance coaching experience. They caved to the players with this hire. Has done terrible since then so more time wouldn't have helped.

A HC that was in trouble with the NCAA at the time they hired him. Great coach but this blew up in their faces. Given a 5 year show cause. Should IU have kept him despite that? 

Crean. A weird guy that was a total spaz. Up and down. Alienated HS coaches with his approach. Did terrible at his next job so more time wouldn't have helped.

A mid-major HC. Looked like an okay but uninspired hire at the beginning. Definitely didn't create a lot of excitement. Then he turned out to be a terrible coach. His personality should have been obvious during the interviews and he should never have been hired. He continues to struggle at his next job, is that also the fault of IU fans? More time wouldn't have helped.

An old NBA assistant coach with 0 college coaching experience. An ex-player that no one except the administration and a few big dollar donors wanted. Has 0 recruits for next year and many spots to fill. You think more time would help?

Which of these coaches were better hires than they seemed? Which should have been given more time by the fanbase? In what way did the fans make these coaches as bad as they were?

The AD's office makes the hires, not the fans. Stop trying to shift the blame of their incompetence onto the fans. The fans just see how bad the hires are.

3 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

Your problem is you correlate the loud minority as the fanbase. It isn’t.

Part of this is also not even the fans but the ever growing fake IU “media” websites and Twitter accounts who run their mouth and bash players and coaches.

You can then say, well, that isn’t the issue then. It is just a few toxic guys on social media. It isn’t the majority of fans. Correct but it is still a major issue. 

If it was possible to remove all those, it was cause us to lose maybe 1000 fans.  There would be plenty support still for NIL etc. nobody is saying you need to shut up and be happy with results. When it is the main constant players and recruits see it is an issue. You don’t have to give up your anger to admit this is an issue. 

I do often wonder how Knight would have been in this environment. He already hated the media. Social media would have him explode. This is a newly created problem as I stated prior. I am not referring to years of message boards and general intensity of IU fandom. 

I don’t know about you guys but my future contributions are going to troll farms to shitpost about the top 25 teams, as a fan of those teams. Apparently, that will somehow level the playing field and make everyone else as ToXiC as we are.

Man, Jay Wright doesn’t look his age this is the BEST open free agent coach to try and backup the brinks truck!  

shouldn’t we at least try?  I know he’s an East Coast guy, but try to offer what we did with Brad Stevens or even more.  He’s always been a class act and would be a king in Bloomington.  Try to see what it would take to bring him back out of retirement?

ok, you can burn me now as I know it would never happen.  Maybe tomorrow fans start chanting “We want Jay Wright!”