Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The only way this is going to work out in a face saving manner is for Woody to publicly announce he plans to retire at the end of the 24-25 season.  That completely ends the speculation among all parties involved and gives Dolson an entire year to line up the new guy.  If that doesn't happen then next year at this time it's going to be deja vu all over again.

Or better yet, in his post-game presser after we're bounced from the BTT, he announces he's retiring effective immediately.  Yeah, I know that ain't gonna happen.

If he were to do that, though, why would anyone transfer from the portal if they had more than a year of eligibility left?  Also kills recruiting for the next guy IMO

Just now, NVFalcons1990 said:

Man, Jay Wright doesn’t look his age this is the BEST open free agent coach to try and backup the brinks truck!  

shouldn’t we at least try?  I know he’s an East Coast guy, but try to offer what we did with Brad Stevens or even more.  He’s always been a class act and would be a king in Bloomington.  Try to see what it would take to bring him back out of retirement?

ok, you can burn me know as I know it would never happen.  Maybe tomorrow fans start chanting “We want Jay Wright!”

Jay has a great gig with CBS right now and wants no part of the new college basketball

2 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

Man, Jay Wright doesn’t look his age this is the BEST open free agent coach to try and backup the brinks truck!  

shouldn’t we at least try?  I know he’s an East Coast guy, but try to offer what we did with Brad Stevens or even more.  He’s always been a class act and would be a king in Bloomington.  Try to see what it would take to bring him back out of retirement?

ok, you can burn me know as I know it would never happen.  Maybe tomorrow fans start chanting “We want Jay Wright!”

It's not that it's a bad idea just that by every indication Jay Wright has no desire to coach again.

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

The fans are getting more and more impatient because IU has hired terrible coach after terrible coach. The fans are noticing it. Uninspired hires like Woodson won't generate a lot of love or patience. When he was hired, there was a collective "WTF!?" across the fanbase. So when the coach that no one wanted started showing signs that he can't cut it, the fans want him gone. Especially after Miller and the last 20+ years of combined incompetence with more bad seasons than good seasons.

What's going unnoticed is that it's only the vocal fans that are getting impatient though. Many more are just losing interest. This will catch up to IU soon if they keep f**king around keeping bad coaches too long only to replace them with an equally bad or worse coach. That's their MO.

Since Knight they've hired:

Assistant coach with no head coaching experience and not even much assistance coaching experience. They caved to the players with this hire.

A HC that was in trouble with the NCAA at the time they hired him. Great coach but this blew up in their faces.

Crean. A weird guy that was a total spaz. Up and down. Alienated HS coaches with his approach.

A mid-major HC. Looked like an okay but uninspired hire at the beginning. Definitely didn't create a lot of excitement. Then he turned out to be a terrible coach. His personality should have been obvious during the interviews and he should never have been hired. He continues to struggle at his next job, is that also the fault of IU fans?

An old NBA assistant coach with 0 college coaching experience. An ex-player that no one except the administration and a few big dollar donors wanted.

Which of these coaches were better hires than they seemed? Which should have been given more time by the fanbase? In what way did the fans make these coaches as bad as they were?

Great way of describing each……great write-up!

10 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

If Woody did pull it off, why wouldn’t you run it again.

If he doesn’t, total meltdown, yes, that is easier for new coach and give another year to find the big time hire.

there is a real scenario where you trade 1 more year vs 3/4 years and doing it again. 

Who is the big time hire next year that isn't a big time hire now? If Dusty May is too big of a risk right now, "the guy" next season cannot be a mid-major coach who has a breakthrough season and goes on a big tournament run. So in theory it has to be a very successful power 5 coach? Is there a "guy" that is more available after next season than this season?

A big part of the problem for me in bringing Woody back is that it's been under this premise of giving him one more year to see if he can get things moving in the right direction. If he's going to almost exclusively concentrate on the portal, it will virtually never be possible to know if that's happening. Since he goose-egged this class, he'll have no sophomores that have been in the system for a year ready to take a jump. We don't appear to be in anything resembling good shape with 2025s so there is a chance we have very little or nothing coming in as freshman again the following season. Even if he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and has a pretty good season next year, the chances we go into the offseason with a good idea of whether the program is headed in the right direction is even more slim b/c the likelihood we are looking at a lot of turnover again is pretty high. We'll need to see how the portal season plays out again to understand what we have, which is too late to make a coaching change. All while likely continuing to alienate relationships in the HS ranks.

With the way he's managed and led this program, I can't see the positives coming anywhere close to outweighing the negatives of one more season with Woody leading the way.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If he were to do that, though, why would anyone transfer from the portal if they had more than a year of eligibility left?  Also kills recruiting for the next guy IMO

But are you any worse off a year from now and isn't it better to know there is an end to this ordeal rather than have the uncertainty hanging another year?   And if we're going to go full bore in the portal and basically kiss of HS recruiting, then recruiting will already be dead for the next coach.  

10 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

What recruiting? If Woodson hadn’t made it abundantly clear he is not interested in recruiting I would say that announcing his future retirement would be a bad idea, but we are already at the 7th level of hell when it comes to recruiting. Tell the portal mercenaries that we are paying them more money than anyone else to come and join this clown orgy and the future is uncertain. If they don’t like it they can play for someone else. If you want to be a soldier of fortune, you should understand that you may not survive the next mission.

The only way this is going to work out in a face saving manner is for Woody to publicly announce he plans to retire at the end of the 24-25 season.  That completely ends the speculation among all parties involved and gives Dolson an entire year to line up the new guy.  If that doesn't happen then next year at this time it's going to be deja vu all over again.
Or better yet, in his post-game presser after we're bounced from the BTT, he announces he's retiring effective immediately.  Yeah, I know that ain't gonna happen.
That's kills recruiting though. Oh wait recruiting is already dead.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

The fans are getting more and more impatient because IU has hired terrible coach after terrible coach. The fans are noticing it. Uninspired hires like Woodson won't generate a lot of love or patience. When he was hired, there was a collective "WTF!?" across the fanbase. So when the coach that no one wanted started showing signs that he can't cut it, the fans want him gone. Especially after Miller and the last 20+ years of combined incompetence with more bad seasons than good seasons.

What's going unnoticed is that it's only the vocal fans that are getting impatient though. Many more are just losing interest. This will catch up to IU soon if they keep f**king around keeping bad coaches too long only to replace them with an equally bad or worse coach. That's their MO.

You just hit the nail on the head. The pro-woody year four crowd are conveniently ignoring this fact. Woody came in with a fairly strong roster and inherited a team that was #56 on Torvik. Credit to him for keeping the players. But he was not hired for a rebuild. I remember the texts with my friends and at least a couple had the reaction of "WHO?" And not just who as in are you kidding me, who as in who in the hell is Mike Woodson. I knew him only as failed NBA coach and IU alum, and I am a basketball junkie. His status as IU legend meant nothing to me, his status as never coached in college and flamed out of the NBA as a HC did. He was never going to have a long leash with the fan base. This is just the manifestation of that. 

You just hit the nail on the head. The pro-woody year four crowd are conveniently ignoring this fact. Woody came in with a fairly strong roster and inherited a team that was #56 on Torvik. Credit to him for keeping the players. But he was not hired for a rebuild. I remember the texts with my friends and at least a couple had the reaction of "WHO?" And not just who as in are you kidding me, who as in who in the hell is Mike Woodson. I knew him only as failed NBA coach and IU alum, and I am a basketball junkie. His status as IU legend meant nothing to me, his status as never coached in college and flamed out of the NBA as a HC did. He was never going to have a long leash with the fan base. This is just the manifestation of that. 
People in the pro Woody crowd are like my uncle. He doesn't really now dork about basketball but he used to watch Woodson play is person so that's all he needs to want to keep him.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, spe317 said:

This is such a hot take and absolutely ridiculous. You have no idea what you’re talking about. Saying the plan changes by the month. 

There is no plan!

And a failure to plan is a plan to fail. Which explains the mess Woodson caused.

43 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

If Woody did pull it off, why wouldn’t you run it again.

If he doesn’t, total meltdown, yes, that is easier for new coach and give another year to find the big time hire.

there is a real scenario where you trade 1 more year vs 3/4 years and doing it again. 

I didn't say if Woody pulls it off, why wouldn't you run it back.  I said that if you can't use the logic of bringing him back after a failed year since it's possible that he could succeed against the odds as a reason to bring him back.  If you could, then bringing him back after a second failed year is on the table since he could succeed against the odds even after two failed years.

And total meltdown and pulling it off aren't the only options.  Lots of in between.  Moves should be made based on the belief of the risk and reward.  I don't believe the risk is worth the reward, you do.  I think your assessment is flawed.  

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Your hypothetical is full of assumptions.  If we are going with your hypothetical, why even fire Woodson after next year if he fails?  Heck, if IU fails next year, why not just give Woodson another year beause maybe he does it against the odds the following year?

Maybe you hire Dusty and he has immediate results.  You are continuing with the 'it's the fans and media' fault with the whole 'fans and media start turning'.  If you think the fans and media are going to be brutal next year if the new guy doesn't start winning, exactly what do you think will happen after another year of failure and then a new coach not having immediate results?

In terms of 'who are we getting', the answer is currently we are getting another year of a guy who has shown zero interest in changing, zero interest in doing the hard work in recruiting, and zero interest in engaging with the fans and media.  I -- nor you -- are privy to know who IU could get now.  But unlike you, I have zero faith in that seat being more attractive a year from now if Woodson fails.  You seem worried about the unknown.  I am worried about the known.

You forgot one, he's shown zero ability to clean up the mess the only exists because he caused it.

29 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

ok, you can burn me now as I know it would never happen.  Maybe tomorrow fans start chanting “We want Jay Wright!”

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky"

-MICHAEL SCOTT

1 hour ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

Give the kid a break, he does everything the right way and plays hard.  He was asked to do a lot, let him hit the weights and grow as a player.  We seen Malik’s jump, Cupps could have that same jump in year 2.

Mike Woodson is looking forward to seeing how Gavin feeds the post next year.