Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

The fact that you and like 10’ of these replies made this about Liam is hilarious. Has zero to do with what I was saying. 

FYI - Liam was contacted plenty. That is more BS by Rabby (again). You all act like Liam got up and said this.

He also knew the system etc.but again, this isn’t about Liam.

Define "plenty."  You don't know what contacts were made, by whom, or how often.  You don't know what he was told by Woodson and staff.  Everyone on the board has been bitching about the lack of 3's.  You don't think recruits see it as well.  So maybe he feels Woodson and staff have BSd him.  If your best skill is the outside shot, why the hell would you come to IU?  You wouldn't.  Period, end.  

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think we will win the game. We should have won a lot more this year.

I do hope the home crowd kicks @$$. Might as well go out on a bright note.

The BTT will be ugly though, then things can get started.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yea AH will be as it always is. The seniors will be celebrated, no one will get booed unless we get blasted off the court. The BTT is where the displeasure will arise, it always is. Really hope we don’t see Gallo and Leal participate in senior night. Since the head coach went down n record saying he doesn’t know, has anyone seen anything leaning one way or another? 

Fans have always been on message boards and while some players, few parents etc have participated, it is nothing like 1000s of tweets daily with recruits and players seeing it. Instagram has never been like Twitter. Covid brought about the acceleration of college recruits on Twitter through all the non- contact periods and finding ways to post videos and market themselves. That trend stayed and now what was once message board hate, now is in recruits faces daily. People can say they need to stay off it but this is how many of them make money. 

Social media is generally toxic.  If you're going to play with the big boys, then you need to wear your big boy pants.  

Is there any way the AD can micromanage Woody to retire. You have to be at every high school Final in the State of Indiana from open to close, every AAU tournament Start to Finish or otherwise just make him do what he is supposed to be doing? I can not see him wanting to do these things.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

This isn’t about missing on recruits. Again, why can’t we accept it is a problem and our best years in modern times came when the fans backed off. 

It absolutely is about missing on recruits.  You can't go 0-31 and have a basketball program (regardless of the portal).  If Woodson had a good class coming in, plus a couple of nice portal additions, this season would be in the rearview mirror.  

Yea, I get that. But he kind of pointed out that it wasn’t luck so much on their end but incompetence. And I was agreeing. They were one of the most incompetent ADs around…until they weren’t.  

Kind of like Mike Davis’s incompetence was Matta’s luck when he landed Oden and Conley. 

Indeed. IU came in and said, “Here, Wisky, hold our beer. “

8 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Yea AH will be as it always is. The seniors will be celebrated, no one will get booed unless we get blasted off the court. The BTT is where the displeasure will arise, it always is. Really hope we don’t see Gallo and Leal participate in senior night. Since the head coach went down n record saying he doesn’t know, has anyone seen anything leaning one way or another? 

For the BTT, Thursday is usually not as near well attended as Friday and with the game being in Minnesota as well as IU being down, I don't expect you will see a very large IU contingent there.  If the game was in Indy, much different.

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

No argument with this, but if Cathy can be believed, you have to ask how we can get past the continual bad moves, bad choices and abysmal hires for both FB and BB.

If she is to be believed, the BOT doesn't vote on the Basketball hire.  Thus, Dolson should have the power to do what needs to be done.  Now he just needs to go see the wizard and get a set of balls.  

Not true, when Crean came in, everyone backed off and knew it would take awhile. We were rewarded few years later. Best team we have had in many years. 

You can still want Woody fired and admit this. They are not exclusive.

The difference is Woodson didn't walk into the Sampson debacle.  He is however creating Sampson Part 2 -- The Return of the Wood.  

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Yes, answer ultimately can be, winning cures all. The real question is how do we get there. 

We don’t need to keep debating Woody. We will never see eye to eye. Fine, fire him.

How do we build back and provide right environment for that coach to succeed? Top coaches don’t want to come (aren’t many of them out there anyway anymore) and the other guys have to be given time. Real time. 

We can’t have the crazier part of the fanbase attacking coach and players year 2 (yes, it started last year).  Our presence on social media is a real thing and creates this “toxic” environment everyone outside of IU sees. All these players are not soft and/or making this up.  They have options. Why come into this mess? 

Just this week Ant Wright did a spaces where he talked fanbases. UK, ILL, IU etc. He said “yes, they are bad but IU is way worse. They attack their own players and staff harder than anyone.” 

We (staff, Woody, fans, administrators, IU media) have all built a situation where the only guys who are going to want to come here care about 1 thing. Money. We say that isn’t what we want or right type of player but this isn’t environment for building over years. Doesn’t matter whose fault that is. It is reality now.

Easy to say, bring in a great coach and it all gets solved. More to it than that. 

Did Michigan fans ruin Howard? Did UofL fans ruin Payne? Did OSU fans ruin Holtmann? No, they didn’t. Or is IU not at same level as those programs? 

You seem like you have a personal connection to the staff. Which, I get it, you need to defend them. But the bottom line, fans or not, Woodson is gone next year. Just like Payne and Holtmann… and probably Howard

1 hour ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Are we back to blaming fans again? This is honestly the most annoying discourse to me. The fans are the one good thing this program still has left. If the fan support and passion matched the results on the court then, there wouldn't be many. It is a large passionate fan base so of course there are some psychos but for the most part I think people are just dying for some wins. Any smart coach and player would see that the fan base could be their biggest asset and if you provide them with the consistent success they have been starving for the last 25 years you will be treated like a god.

I will literally budget a lifetime supply of rose pedals so that my future savior is acknowledged for the great person he or she is.    

55 minutes ago, JF87 said:

A discussion is good.  We need to hear all voices. We can't complain about group think from administrators without recognizing it may be happening here.  Personally, I'm pushing for a change.  I'd like for Woodson to retire.  College basketball coaching is different than being an NBA coach.  Imo coach Woodson is learning on the job.  I'll read NGW and concede points where he may be correct. It doesn't hurt my feelings when someone disagrees with me. 

The problem is he is not LEARNING jack squat.  He's stubborn, arrogant and refuses to listen to his help.  

32 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Hockey subs for way too long that caused metrics based effects and loses. Not adjusting his auto-bench rule until too late. Not putting the ball in Gallo’s hands early enough. Giving Cupps too many minutes. Playing and thinking sparks was ready to go at this level.

This is actually an under talked about (amazing there’s something we can still say that about innit??) point. He used that damn sub pattern that never really paid off in getting Gunn, Sparks or Banks prepared for later. We’re now closing in on potentially 20 wins but have precluded ourselves from tournament consideration even with a nice little run because the early season games were so dang bad. I doubt the staff even understands that, or at least not Woody.    

(I’ll quibble with you on the Cupps mins, tho. If you recall, some of those early games were actually won by subbing Cupps for Mbako in the second half. Mbakos defense was just too bad early on. Cupps mins didn’t become a real liability until XJ went out and he was forced to play way more minutes than he ever should have or is capable of handling at this stage.) 

The funny thing is that a smart coach who walks into a situation where 'the fans and media are rabid' should be looking to....you know......get them on his side.  You know, show humility.  Answer legitimate media questions.  Become connected with the community.

Which guy do you think the community would embrace:

Mike Woodson:

I'm not going to talk about my job.  I'm not going to speak to other IU teams, why should I?  I'm not going to talk about recruiting with the media.  

Pearl:

pearl.jpeg

15 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Okay you degenerate information junkies, I can break the news that there’s no new news coming out tonight. So if you’re on here, get yourself over to BTN and check out the women’s B1G tourney game. Dolson won’t be hosting a 10pm press conference I can confirm. And honestly, the women play a really great brand of basketball. If you haven’t, give them a look. 

Alright. Another day has dawned, the women lost, and the junkies need a fix. Whatcha got for us? 

…. Is there a filter setting the Mods can set a “limit” or “time out” period for excessively negative and combative posters? Lol 

…..good grief, this board!

SMH