Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

It is a fair point and maybe was a mistake. Maybe he should have let everyone walk and build up rather than try and piece is all together to win now.

Would be nice to have a conversation that isn’t same thing over and over. “He sucks at life, fire him” - Fine, fire him. Don’t care. Seriously. I think we have lots of other issues.

I think we have had several good conversations here that are not just exaggerations on one end or the other.  Sure people are mad and emotional on this deal.  it is part of being a fan.  But in the midst of that are some really good posts and fair conversations.  

15 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Good to see ngw on here still trying! You were wrong no you were wrong lol.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

A discussion is good.  We need to hear all voices. We can't complain about group think from administrators without recognizing it may be happening here.  Personally, I'm pushing for a change.  I'd like for Woodson to retire.  College basketball coaching is different than being an NBA coach.  Imo coach Woodson is learning on the job.  I'll read NGW and concede points where he may be correct. It doesn't hurt my feelings when someone disagrees with me. 

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I answered it point blank, maybe read back

No, you 1000000000000% didn't.  Read every reply that you've made since I posed it.  Even pulled up your profile to make sure I hadn't missed it.

But indulge me since I must be blind......what is the reason that Woody's seat is hotter in year three than was Davis, Crean, and Miller's?  I mean with your former NBA all-star basketball past, I'm sure you can answer it since us peons can't.

12 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

It will until apathy sets in.

From my view in the cheap seats, it’s close. I’ve spent the past 60 years of so rooting for the Cream and Crimson. I’ve seen some of the glory. I’ve also seen a lot of the darkness. I’m finally excited about the possibilities with football, but rapidly losing interest in men’s basketball.

I suspect there are many of us in the same situation.  I don't subscribe to cable and have paid for streaming only for November-March - solely to watch IU basketball.  My discount expired at the end of December and I just let it lapse.  I may watch a game if it's on broadcast TV or a "free" stream but I don't fret if I miss seeing a game.  I'll listen to Fisch if possible albeit with little enthusiasm.  I started paying attention to IU basketball in my early teen years around 1973 and it just isn't the same - not just the bad to marginal W-L record, but the style of play.

11 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I think there are most likely several variables that went into McNeeley"s decision. We will probably never know how much weight style of play or coach relationship played into it.  McNeeley is projected as a one and done. It makes sense that he would want to play in the NCAA Tournament next year and that's much more likely playing at Kansas given the current trajectory of the IU program. 

Losing him stinks, but Liam made the right decision.  With the current state of the program there's little to zero upside to sticking with his LOI.

What do you call it when someone just refuses to believe what they can see with their own eyes? Lol
How many ways can you bend over backwards to explain how it's not the staff's fault we suck and have no recruits and are going to overpay for a bunch of slightly above average mid-major guys and maybe 2 real studs. Then get another year of excuses coz Mike gets 4 no matter what.
Yawn. 

If they refuse to see, you simply cannot make them.

11 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

How many ways do I have to say this isn’t about the staff or Woody sucking. Failing at multiple things.

Trying to have a logical conversation but all logic was thrown out the window. 

Yes, Woodson and staff are killing it. They haven’t done a single thing wrong.

You are right. I think Woodson should win Big Ten coach of the year. His brilliance is obvious. 

15 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Would be nice to have a conversation that isn’t same thing over and over. “He sucks at life, fire him” - Fine, fire him. Don’t care. Seriously. I think we have lots of other issues.

Reducing the discourse in this thread to ^what you’ve quoted above is insulting and disingenuous. 
You also act like it’s your moral obligation to come in here and pepper us with your garbage takes, to save us from thinking incorrectly. 

But since you’re going to interpret the above wrongly anyway I’ll just say it how you’ve already registered it: “you stink and everything you believe is doodoo”

9 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

No, you 1000000000000% didn't.  Read every reply that you've made since I posed it.  Even pulled up your profile to make sure I hadn't missed it.

But indulge me since I must be blind......what is the reason that Woody's seat is hotter in year three than was Davis, Crean, and Miller's?  I mean with your former NBA all-star basketball past, I'm sure you can answer it since us peons can't.

Durrr SoCiAl MeDiA!!!

32 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Not true, when Crean came in, everyone backed off and knew it would take awhile. We were rewarded few years later. Best team we have had in many years. 

You can still want Woody fired and admit this. They are not exclusive.

Dude every coach gets a honeymoon.  The fans backed off Miller and Woodson their first few years too.  Crean got a little longer honeymoon because the administration burned the program to the ground when he took over.  And even then people were annoyed in year 3 when things weren't progressing like we wanted.  You know what kept people mostly quiet another year?  Cody Zeller and a foundation of Hulls, Watford, and Verdell Jones still in place.  The emergence of Oladipo that coincided with Zeller's arrival on campus is what gave him room.

The fans will give you room if you are giving them hope.  Woodson isn't giving hope.  What little hope he had for next year walked out the door with McNeely.

Finally, Woodson's approach to recruiting and the money he has at his disposal to buy a roster (something no other coach before him has had) also hurts his ability to claim he needs time for things to develop.  He is almost exclusively operating on landing either 5* supposedly ready made Freshman or on proven guys from the portal.  That method is built on the idea of win now.  There isn't much development happening there.  So his own approach screws him over with making the "give me time" argument that someone like Crean could have made in the past.

EVERY big fanbase has vocal fans when they are losing and underperforming expectations. 

We are just the only program soft enough to let that be the excuse for said failures.  

Most players are other winning teams will just say, “man, they’ve got some crazy fans” then win some basketball games.  

excuse making, losing mentality. Let’s send coach Cig over to men’s basketball to give them a talk about losing mentality.  

Doubt Woodson would let him “meddle”.

3 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Yes, Woodson and staff are killing it. They haven’t done a single thing wrong.

You are right. I think Woodson should win Big Ten coach of the year. His brilliance is obvious. 

Bro. I don't know why this is so hard for some of you to understand. 

The staff talked to Liam MANY TIMES since he signed the LOI. He decommitted because the fans won't even give Woody a chance. If it weren't for that he'd be here next year. How was Woody supposed to know he's supposed to build a relationship after they signed? They don't do that in NBA free agency.

It's no loss anyway, Woodson will kill it in the portal with his huge NIL fund just like he did last year. Worked out great.

So then in your mind, the type of recruit and player we have had are wrong? They are mostly soft and we need to go after guys with thicker skin. Serious question
Your thing on all fanbase doenst correlate with size of IU fanbase and increased impact of social media but trying to have a real discussion. 

I’ve always got answers.

You put the players in a system that wins and excels enough to put that massive fanbase on your side. (Ie-the womens team)

Woodson was an AWFUL coach this season. Hockey subs for way too long that caused metrics based effects and loses. Not adjusting his auto-bench rule until too late. Not putting the ball in Gallo’s hands early enough. Giving Cupps too many minutes. Playing and thinking sparks was ready to go at this level.

I can go on and on. This is a failure by Woodson this year. No way, this roster, even devoid of guard depth misses the tournament if Woody made changes the fanbase recognized faster than he did.

Either way. The answer is winning. Everything else takes care of itself. The players start doubting themselves because of the losses first and foremost. The failures. The fanbase reaction then just further sets those feelings in.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

It is a fair point and maybe was a mistake. Maybe he should have let everyone walk and build up rather than try and piece is all together to win now.

Okay, I will bite. What other issues? And don’t mention fans, we already know what you think on that point. Thus far, you have disagreed with anyone who points out any systemic issue with the program unless one makes a point you can’t strawman without outright lying. I am being 100% serious here. What are the reasons the program is in free fall? If you don’t believe that it is, explain to me why? I promise you, if you could make a “logical” argument to walk me off the ledge I would genuinely love to hear it. 

22 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

My dude woke up and chose violence, I’ll give him that. At least now we can go around in circles of deflect and gaslight for a few more pages of content, and Saturday is usually slow lmao

He means well and I think he’s a good-decent dude but he’s saying this stuff for the whole Woody time. We used to be BFF’s but now we’re friendenemies. Haha

I have just a gut feeling only, that under the current firestorm around IU basketball and Mike Woodson especially, it will turn out to be a very very bad idea to host those 4 recruits and their families on Sunday. I think I am more excited to see if Gallo and Leal go through Senior Night than the game itself. I still think IU can win, just as much as I can see them getting punk'd by halftime and the Hall filling with loud boos as they walk off the court. Boos not directed at players but at Woodson. Should be interesting.
I do know one thing ... Woodson better have a better attitude in front of those recruits and families than he showed on yesterday zoom interview. 

I think we will win the game. We should have won a lot more this year.

I do hope the home crowd kicks @$$. Might as well go out on a bright note.

The BTT will be ugly though, then things can get started.

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Sorry man but you did miss it or you just disagree with the answer but I did answer it. 

Found what 'you think' is the answer, and it's completely wrong. What you tried to isn't even in the team picture of what the top five reasons are.  Funny thing is that since I posed the question I've seen two answers that actually did answer my question but weren't even trying to.  No need to bother further since your answer.  Keep thinking that the whole world is crazy and only you are sane.  Don't worry about me replying to you again because I don't have any respect for what you say or the way in which you choose to carry yourself.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think we will win the game. We should have won a lot more this year.

I do hope the home crowd kicks @$$. Might as well go out on a bright note.

The BTT will be ugly though, then things can get started.

Going to be there and do hope to see a win.  Hope X goes out on a high note and that we don't see Galloway go through senior day.

5 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

JSHoosier was responding to my story about IU ... yes, you are right about Wisconsin but I and he were talking about IU's luck in getting RMK.

Yea, I get that. But he kind of pointed out that it wasn’t luck so much on their end but incompetence. And I was agreeing. They were one of the most incompetent ADs around…until they weren’t.  

Kind of like Mike Davis’s incompetence was Matta’s luck when he landed Oden and Conley.