Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

IF Woodson gets a GM for the basketball program maybe this could actually work.  I'm sure high level college athletics are messy to navigate with NIL and transfer portal, which is a full time job itself.  If he can get the players he needs to run the system he wants then maybe...?  I'm trying to find the positive here.  

Did he have to run this strategy/plan by anyone? Or was it autonomous? Because I would think this would be a very bad look for the program and the university. To tell high school kids -- particularly those in Indiana -- that IU will not have an interest in you unless you are a five-star seems to be sending us down a rabbit hole from which it would be difficult to extricate ourseves. Hope I'm not sounding too dramatic, but it seems as if it could cause irreparable harm to relationships with high school coaches and effectively kill recruiting in the state. 
Woodson has the exact same recruiting strategy as calipari. All the people who ripped on kentuckys one and dones here we are. Difference is calipari is a way better recruiter than woodson.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I don't see how this GM role is going to help with anything. Woodson already has a recruiting coordinator and assistants that have put him in a really good spot with recruits but he hasn't followed through and no recruit is going to listen to a GM tell them stuff when they are being recruited by the HC at another program. Anyone that thinks this will work is in for a rude awakening. 

2 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

IF Woodson gets a GM for the basketball program maybe this could actually work.  I'm sure high level college athletics are messy to navigate with NIL and transfer portal, which is a full time job itself.  If he can get the players he needs to run the system he wants then maybe...?  I'm trying to find the positive here.  

No it won't 

47 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

I’ll save football for another day but the basketball program is in much better shape than football was when Dolson finally moved Allen out. If people think Woody is out of his league, he is light years ahead of where Allen was. 

That's not saying much. Better than a terrible coach doesn't mean he's good. Lots of room between Allen level of bad to good that Woodson can also be bad or terrible. (hint: he is)

I love AC but holy cow. Just watched the first 15 minutes of the post game and had to turn it off. Jerod smiling like we just won the B1G while proudly professing “the win gives a sole possession of 8th place!” Was nauseating. Thats the state of the program. Excited for sole possession of 8th place. It’s amazing it took this many data points for my dumba** to realize we are not the program we as the consumer see it.

Just now, ap2345 said:

I don't see how this GM role is going to help with anything. Woodson already has a recruiting coordinator and assistants that have put him in a really good spot with recruits but he hasn't followed through and no recruit is going to listen to a GM tell them stuff when they are being recruited by the HC at another program. Anyone that thinks this will work is in for a rude awakening. 

The GM role is one that programs are going to in football. So athletic departments are moving in that direction. So it will depend on the person hired.  Now that the NCAA has suspended any/all NIL investigations, the GM can work with collectives and then directly talk to the players about the total compensation. So I’m assuming it’s going to be more scouting prospects and working finances. 

10 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Did he have to run this strategy/plan by anyone? Or was it autonomous? Because I would think this would be a very bad look for the program and the university. To tell high school kids -- particularly those in Indiana -- that IU will not have an interest in you unless you are a five-star seems to be sending us down a rabbit hole from which it would be difficult to extricate ourseves. Hope I'm not sounding too dramatic, but it seems as if it could cause irreparable harm to relationships with high school coaches and effectively kill recruiting in the state. 

I think most HS people got the hint or figured it out when he didn't go to Sectionals. Then when he had to have a conversation with Dolson the next day he explained his vision but was still told to go to Mullins game. 

3 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

This is insantity. WE HAD ONE WHO WENT TO TWO FINAL FOURS AND WOODY DIDNT USE HIM. Sorry for shouting lol, this whole GM thing makes me angry. 

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Also when is he going to get this GM? Portal opens in 11 days. 

43 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

I may not like Woodson but I agree 100% with what you said. I follow IU football as close as I do IU basketball, always have. "Light years" may not be accurate. On another planet might be more appropriate. I had forgotten the name "Allen" until you just mentioned it. 

Yet ... you cannot build a successful basketball program signing nothing but portal players, a 5-star recruit on an annual basis. IU's roster structure is already in trouble for Year 4, add too more years of that recruiting philosophy and it will be "Allen Ugly".

Another planet is much, much closer than a light year. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Once again I feel like I have to share this every couple of years. I have never said I'm an insider, I've never said anyone should believe anything I say, I've never pushed anything I've heard as fact. I've never said you need to read anything I write or hear. All I have ever said is I will always share what I hear. If the mods want me to stop doing that I'm fine with that.

I didn't show up yesterday with an agenda. I've been here for many years. If you feel the need to take your shots at me, go for it, I'm a big boy. As someone told me yesterday I should disappear and come back with a different name. But I enjoy this board and the many friends I have made over the last 10 years. 

Screw them. You keep on keeping on. You're A-OK in my book.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s insane that we’re going to do things like hire a “GM” so that Woody can work even less than he already does when there are guys we could hire like Dusty May who would pour everything they have into the job. 

What's one more useless position on the staff to help shift blame and do enough work so that Woody just literally has to show up when they roll the balls out. 

I hope like hell they pull off whatever their "strategy" is for next year... but right now... it's a lot easier to envision a scenario where Mike Woodson is missing games with knee/back problems than us competing for a B10 or national title... you know, his stated goals (that he's not willing to work toward)

1 hour ago, KathywithaC said:

I’ll save football for another day but the basketball program is in much better shape than football was when Dolson finally moved Allen out. If people think Woody is out of his league, he is light years ahead of where Allen was. 

And this is supposed to make us feel better how? 

It’s insane that we’re going to do things like hire a “GM” so that Woody can work even less than he already does when there are guys we could hire like Dusty May who would pour everything they have into the job. 

Mark my words: we will look back 5 years from now and regret not hiring May when he would have “walked to Bloomington.” I just hope he’s with someone like a WVU and not another team in conference.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app