Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

27 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I don't get the sense that Buckner is opposed to moving on from Woodson. I think he is vehemently opposed to moving on from Woodson after one bad year without any kind of contingency plan in place. Firing Woodson is one thing, but it's still only half the battle. I think the last thing in the world Buckner wants is to shell out a bunch of money to make Woodson go away while not having any kind of plan in place and the new coaching search ends in a national media charade where the job is publicly turned down multiple times and IU is stuck with a tier 3 or 4 candidate.  

Understood... but doubt that it could be worse... with that said, from a financial and (what's left of) a program respect point of view, Dolson has to get this one right...

6 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

That's how I interpret it as well. And not just any coach though, but a steady and proven coach. I think Buckner can man up and admit he made a mistake if we're replacing Woodson with someone like Bruce Pearl. 

I think that is also the card Dolson might be using to persuade everyone. "I am not getting rid of your buddy Woodson for a project or anything, it is for a proven winner that will win here and make everyone happy". 

I think the plan is talk to coach A, B, C to try to swing big, if we don't get one of those then we have option D that we know will take the job. IMO all options are better than Woodson.
But one of these has to be a done deal before anything will happen here. 
The good thing is there are many options better than Woodson so zero reason iu should not be able to get a deal done this year.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think the plan is talk to coach A, B, C to try to swing big, if we don't get one of those then we have option D that we know will take the job. IMO all options are better than Woodson.

This is 100%  happening in regards to the end of THIS season, correct? Like even if we have to end up going with option D who we know will take the job, it’s going to be for when this season is finished and we know Woodson is gone? 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Think this is going down this March? How far down the alphabet do we get before we're back to Woody?  

1 minute ago, cleeter said:

Option A) Bruce Pearl
Option B) Pruce Bearl
Option C) Call Bruce Pearl again

I think it's time we stop f-ing around and just clone Bob Knight. Surely the Koch's have access to some type of cloning technology by now. If they get going now, Pearl can be the stop gap for the next 6-7 years. At that point, 6ish year old Bobby Knight can take over the problem. He will be ready. It's not like we don't know how he will turn out as an adult. Might as well start him young.

Don't know where it was mentioned, but there is a solution that would allow Buckner/Woodson to save face, and possibly save the Athletic Dept. the buyout of multiple contracts.

If the year continues in a downward spiral, and there is a known winning coach ready to take over, move Woodson into a consulting roll, similar to what Matta was in when first hired. Woodson does have great contacts with the NBA, and that has been a large part of his strength while at IU. He has been able to sell to recruits his knowledge of what it takes to get to, and succeed at the highest level. Keeping him around would continue the relationship he has developed with Montverde. He can still tell the story. But he would be out of the loop on any on-court decisions, and not in front of the media making statements like he has.

To me, this would make a lot of sense, save some money, and allow all to save face.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Option D..... hmmmm, who could that be?

1 minute ago, Mopladysman said:

Or is May classified as a "swing big" and D is Alford?

Sounds about right.  I don't want to fire an IU legend to bring in another one who might suck as well.... and then we have to fire another IU legend in 4 years.....let's avoid this route please!

Don't know where it was mentioned, but there is a solution that would allow Buckner/Woodson to save face, and possibly save the Athletic Dept. the buyout of multiple contracts.

If the year continues in a downward spiral, and there is a known winning coach ready to take over, move Woodson into a consulting roll, similar to what Matta was in when first hired. Woodson does have great contacts with the NBA, and that has been a large part of his strength while at IU. He has been able to sell to recruits his knowledge of what it takes to get to, and succeed at the highest level. Keeping him around would continue the relationship he has developed with Montverde. He can still tell the story. But he would be out of the loop on any on-court decisions, and not in front of the media making statements like he has.

To me, this would make a lot of sense, save some money, and allow all to save face.

I find it very hard to believe Woodson and his ego would basically be told we are done with you but please stay on and consult. That would be a big step down and I highly doubt he would do it. We need a clean break. Also the new guy may now want anything to do with one and done players from prep schools

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk