Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Well he's right.  @Loaded Chicken Sandwich failed to teach them the proper defensive techniques; @Hornsby didn't improve their shooting performance; @JSHoosier spent too much time on the golf course and not enough time on the recruiting trail and @Chris007 didn't iron out the damn hump.

And guys this is totally meant in jest.

You obviously haven't seen my golf game. I need all the practice I can get.

IU shoots FTs better than I play golf.

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Well he's right.  @Loaded Chicken Sandwich failed to teach them the proper defensive techniques; @Hornsby didn't improve their shooting performance; @JSHoosier spent too much time on the golf course and not enough time on the recruiting trail and @Chris007 didn't iron out the damn hump.

I don't even know how to use an iron

The question is going to be how much Pearl actually likes this job. If Auburn sees him leaving they will pony up, I'm not sure IU has the money to beat their offer by a significant amount. They could promise him that his son will get the job. They could offer him the practice facility. And whatever they offer him, it won't be reduced by having to pay their own coaches buyout. We will see if he covets IU enough that he would jump here for a similar amount of $$$ as Auburn's return offer.

1 hour ago, Tom White said:

I understand what you are saying, but it might help a bit to remember how long it was between McCracken's 2nd title in 1953 and Knight's first in 1976. Sometimes it does happen.

23 years by my math. 

Right now we’re close to 40yrs since ‘87. We’re closer to double the time between the ‘53 and ‘76 titles than we are to that same time span.  

This is a horrid stretch of basketball by almost any standard and one great programs rarely suffer. 

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

The question is going to be how much Pearl actually likes this job. If Auburn sees him leaving they will pony up, I'm not sure IU has the money to beat their offer by a significant amount. They could promise him that his son will get the job. They could offer him the practice facility. And whatever they offer him, it won't be reduced by having to pay their own coaches buyout. We will see if he covets IU enough that he would jump here for a similar amount of $$$ as Auburn's return offer.

Auburn just extended him with a pay raise a couple years ago, he's one of the highest paid coaches in the SEC.

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

7 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

You obviously haven't seen my golf game. I need all the practice I can get.

IU shoots FTs better than I play golf.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't even know how to use an iron

You're just proving his point. You guys have let us all down. smh

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

You forgot -- the fans aren't the ones missing the wide open 3s and free throws.  :)  

37 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

What Chris is saying (based on my opinion, what I know and critical thinking) 

Admin, donors etc are ok with trying to make the move. However, there is a short list of guys who will suffice. 

That list is probably Pearl, Oats, Cronin and I am sure they will try a Drew etc but those are most likely a quick no. 

Dusty is the sure thing but if he comes back to him and everyone else said no, I think he will then have to really work his magic to get people on board and the money needed. I don’t see that option getting all the I’s dot and T’s crossed. 

If he swings and misses at all options, there will then be a request for large changes with staff, recruiting etc. snd Woody will be here. 

I agree with most things you said except for Dusty being a sure thing.  I still believe that they will retain Woodson and hire a new staff.  But those changes needs to be coaches needs to be strong in those things that Woodson is weakest in.  Oh wait, that’s every thing.  May as well hire Pearl as your assistant.   Holtman is available, maybe he will come to IU to be Woodson’s top assistant.  Maybe they can hire Fife back.

I'll preface this by saying I fully understand this is NOT a reasonable or logical path to buy out money. But talking about getting the right donors involved had me do some quick math. If only 20% of our alumni base contributed an average of an $80 donation, we'd raise $12M. That's only alumni, and only 20%. Probably even more non-alumni fans who would contribute. Open up the GoFundMe, Scotty!

7 minutes ago, str8baller said:

23 years by my math. 

Right now we’re close to 40yrs since ‘87. We’re closer to double the time between the ‘53 and ‘76 titles than we are to that same time span.  

This is a horrid stretch of basketball by almost any standard and one great programs rarely suffer. 

Great programs never suffer it. This is and always will be a historic program with an elite ceiling. But, personally, I put the expiration date on this being a great program at 1994.

47 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

....can you imagine the Dan Dakich takes if we hired a guy who’s been attached to scandal before. His head would explode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that would be a bad thing?

59 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

His take will be negative and ridiculous no matter who takes the job, but can you imagine the Dan Dakich takes if we hired a guy who’s been attached to scandal before. His head would explode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a perfect scenario for IU fans...talk about two birds

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

Great programs never suffer it. This is and always will be a historic program with an elite ceiling. But, personally, I put the expiration date on this being a great program at 1994.

Probably true. Oddly enough, this would still seem bad but the narrative would be a lot different had Davis lucked into one more game in ‘02. Of course, had he not went to the FF we might be viewed closer to Marquette or something that isn’t even close to elite as a ceiling. 

Somebody did the Tenn. football comp. I like that, but it could be underselling it. I think you could do a Texas or USC comp if you want to do cfb ones. The are still tons of built in advantages (to elite ceiling point) but we have no institutional knowledge or edge. Completely fishing in the dark as an institution. USC football is like that and completely lucked into Pete Carroll, who was like their 6th choice. Pretty mediocre before and after him for decades.  

12 minutes ago, Jwalk83 said:

Mike and IU agree he’s stepping away for health reasons. Enter Bruce Pearl! Let’s get some juice in the building.

Have him announce he is stepping away at SR night against Sparty...will be the loudest cheer he has ever got, and he is probably too tone deaf to realize why we are cheering so much

Money is never been the issue. It's just about getting the right hire and right people on board. 
Why I never bought the oh but the buyout is too busy talk.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk