Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

22 minutes ago, hper50 said:

I totally agree, and this is TOTALLY apples to oranges, but the same could be said about (our lord and savior) Brad Stevens. 

Not just from an IU lens, but I've always wondered how much differently he'd be perceived if BU lost to 13-seeded Murray State in the 2010 Round of 32 (54-52 win) or in the 2011 1st Round Matt Howard buzzer beater vs. Old Dominion (60-58 win).

Point being, I'm not saying you're wrong, but saying it's interesting how often things like this actually happen. Archie beat O$U by 1 point in the 1st Round in his Dayton Elite Eight year. Do we hire him if O$U wins that game?

I think Butler playing in back to back title games removes a lot of doubt from any flukiness. If May goes on another deep tourney run with this same core, It’ll surely eliminate the majority of my doubts.

10 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I think Butler playing in back to back title games removes a lot of doubt from any flukiness. If May goes on another deep tourney run with this same core, It’ll surely eliminate the majority of my doubts.

Totally agree!

33 minutes ago, hper50 said:

I totally agree, and this is TOTALLY apples to oranges, but the same could be said about (our lord and savior) Brad Stevens. 

Not just from an IU lens, but I've always wondered how much differently he'd be perceived if BU lost to 13-seeded Murray State in the 2010 Round of 32 (54-52 win) or in the 2011 1st Round Matt Howard buzzer beater vs. Old Dominion (60-58 win).

Point being, I'm not saying you're wrong, but saying it's interesting how often things like this actually happen. Archie beat O$U by 1 point in the 1st Round in his Dayton Elite Eight year. Do we hire him if O$U wins that game?

I say this as someone who dreams of Stevens coaching here: Butler's second Final Four team doesn't get beyond the second round without coaching malpractice from Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon. Pitt made a tie breaking free throw with 1 second left, he inexplicably had his players on the line going for an offensive rebound on the second shot that missed, they get called for a foul, Butler makes two free throws with a fraction of a second left and wins by one. 

It's why we shouldn't put too much stock into postseason results, but what the coach is doing to get them there. 

Sorta surprised at some of the we wouldn’t be considering Dusty without the IU connections. He could have had a P5 job last year. There’s already reports of talks with OSU. If he doesn’t take one this offseason, it’s not going to be due to lack of suitors other than IU. I get the mid-major apprehension but FAU isn’t even mid major. That was a low major moribund program that’s not even existed that long. Fear of Archie 2.0 is crippling people for Dusty. Fear of Kelvin 2.0 is crippling people for Pearl. The reality is perfect isn’t walking through the door. Stevens came and went. Donovan was always a pipe dream. But I think most can agree Woody is not the future. Either would be a massive step in the right direction in the near term. Because the alternative and keeping Woody is far more detrimental. 

Sorta surprised at some of the we wouldn’t be considering Dusty without the IU connections. He could have had a P5 job last year. There’s already reports of talks with OSU. If he doesn’t take one this offseason, it’s not going to be due to lack of suitors other than IU. I get the mid-major apprehension but FAU isn’t even mid major. That was a low major moribund program that’s not even existed that long. Fear of Archie 2.0 is crippling people for Dusty. Fear of Kelvin 2.0 is crippling people for Pearl. The reality is perfect isn’t walking through the door. Stevens came and went. Donovan was always a pipe dream. But I think most can agree Woody is not the future. Either would be a massive step in the right direction in the near term. Because the alternative and keeping Woody is far more detrimental. 
We cannot keep Woodson! It's official! If we do then we are officially done.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I say this as someone who dreams of Stevens coaching here: Butler's second Final Four team doesn't get beyond the second round without coaching malpractice from Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon. Pitt made a tie breaking free throw with 1 second left, he inexplicably had his players on the line going for an offensive rebound on the second shot that missed, they get called for a foul, Butler makes two free throws with a fraction of a second left and wins by one. 

It's why we shouldn't put too much stock into postseason results, but what the coach is doing to get them there. 

Butler was up one when Mack fouled at halfcourt. Pitt made the first FT. So they were tied, not ahead when they missed the second FT and then fouled going for the rebound. Matt Howard made one FT to win it. One of the craziest endings I have ever witnessed.

1 hour ago, hper50 said:

I was going to make the same post. Butler was trailing with less than 2 min left vs 13 seed Murray State in 2010. The next year, they beat ODU on a buzzer beater in round 1, and then Pitt misses a game winning FT with one second left in round 2.

That's basketball though. Every team has those games, the good coaches seem to win them more often than not. But even without the tourney runs, I watched Stevens coach in Hinkle at least 10 times and it was clear back then he was something special.

I haven't watched May nearly as much, but I do get some hints of that in him. All of his players coming back to FAU instead of going to portal this season is one of the most impressive things about him. He has built something special from absolutely nothing.

Edited by Shooter

14 hours ago, ISP said:

Year 1: finalist for Joe B Hall award (best new D1 coach). set FAU record for rebounds and free throw % 

Year 2: First time FAU had 2 consecutive winning seasons in 15 years. Set school record for points per game

Year 3: Highest KenPom rating FAU had ever had, first time FAU had 3 consecutive winning seasons in history

Year 4. 2nd or 3rd in conference , first time in 

Year 5: Final 4 and NCAA champ + multiple coach of the year awards 

Year 6: 20-6 record, 2nd place in conference (moved up to the AAC)

Amongst all these years are school records in almost every category, but primary scoring and rebounding and free throw %.

So he hasn’t actually ever won anything in the court. Sorry had to be snarky. Thanks for the history lesson and background. You and @Chris007 are starting to persuade me a bit. As of today I still can’t see Domson pulling the plug in Woodson. But if we are going to suck and lose I’d rather it be with offensive basketball over what we’ve watched since Crean was fired. 

13 hours ago, AH1971 said:

“Everybody wins at Dayton” is a lot different than what Archie did at Dayton. 4 straight NCAAT appearances as an AT-LARGE. I think that’s a fact that shouldn’t be glossed over. Dayton has historically been a good program, but rarely if ever were they at-large good. Obviously Anthony Grant has had some good years since, but Archie had the Flyers rolling for a long time and proved it was no fluke.

Archie’s defense gives up 3’s. We saw it for years. At the midmajor level you can dominate in that way. Get to the power 5 level and that defense becomes flawed badly bc the shooting and overall talent is greater. Not saying the pack line is a gimmick but I do believe the game has passed it by. 

20 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Funny thing he coached at Bowling Green for ten years and the only time he coached an NCAA tournament game was when he was the interim coach at IU after Sampson was let go.

I've posted before that Dakich was the basketball coach at BGSU (Ohio) while my daughters were there.  He did fairly well at first, if I remember correctly.  But then, not so well.  He got an offer and went to WVa for a week.  Found out that they had NCAA challenges.  May have found out that the problems were greater than he had originally understood.  Asked for more $$.  (Similar to what Crean did at IU?)  Declined.  Returned to BGSU.  Wheels came off of recruiting.  I do not wonder at all why.  Was subsequently not the coach at BGSU.  Shocked?  Not shocked.  

Both daughters received a very decent undergraduate education at BGSU.  One in scientific and technical editing/writing.  The other in Graphic Design.  The daughter that is in Graphic Design also got a scholarship offer to go out of state to IU. IU was a 5-year program.  But the full ride to BGSU was also super.  She went to BGSU because of it's 4-year program and being a better fit.

BGSU hockey was fun.  Saw them beat IU in football which sucked bigly.  Basketball was with mixed results.  

7 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Pearl is a huge no for me. What he did to Deon Thomas and Illinois is more than enough. It was just plain dirty and I can't stand Illinois

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, ziggyiu said:

I love what he did to expose Illinois paying players. 

I still think that what he did at Iowa -- though it was over 30 years ago -- will keep him from a HC position in the B1G. Even with 18 teams. I could be wrong -- often am -- but I just don't see it happening, especially now that he's 63. 

What bothered me about that was not so much recording the call with Thomas, which was a tad sleazy -- but it's that he turned around and had NCAA infractions himself later on. If you're gonna pull that kinda crap, you'd better damn well make sure your own nose is clean. 

20 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I still think that what he did at Iowa -- though it was over 30 years ago -- will keep him from a HC position in the B1G. Even with 18 teams. I could be wrong -- often am -- but I just don't see it happening, especially now that he's 63. 

What bothered me about that was not so much recording the call with Thomas, which was a tad sleazy -- but it's that he turned around and had NCAA infractions himself later on. If you're gonna pull that kinda crap, you'd better damn well make sure your own nose is clean. 

It's a good point that happening in the B10 could be enough for him to not get the chance. Only thing I'd add is to your last sentence... once BP did that, I'm sure he became public enemy #1 for a lot of coaches who were quite happy looking for an opportunity to return the favor and give Bruce a taste of his own medicine. Yes it was a cheap move by him/Iowa, but personally it doesn't bother me that much.