Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Why is it a negative that he had to take lower assistant jobs? People who start as managers don't have the cred, they have to start at places like that. We should be saying, holy sh*t, he went from Eastern* Michigan to the final four! You wouldn't refer to Chris Beard 'Former North Texas Assistant." 

Also the fact that we just heard about OSU taking a look at him speaks to the fact that it's not just that he's an IU guy. 

I picked a school at random to make my point that if he didn’t have any IU affiliation, fans wouldn’t be so adamant about him. Coincidentally he actually was an assistant at Eastern Michigan. 

Schools are going to take a look at him because he’s the flavor of the month. Guys going deep into the tournament and parlaying that into a better job is nothing new. I simply have no appetite for another rebuild. Absolutely none. My fandom can’t take more of it. 

1 hour ago, JF87 said:

I think I read Cronin has a huge buyout.  I also read that UCLA might want to part ways with Cronin, so maybe they are willing to waive it.

Pass on Cronin. Just have never liked the guy.

18 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I really don't mean to discount FAU's run last year, but I do think it's relevant to at least point out that the highest seed they played was a 3. I know others have mentioned they barely got by Memphis in the first round. That's still a great run, but drawing a 16 in the round of 32 was a huge advantage. 

I do think that tournament runs have high variance and are not always dispositive on a coach being good or not. However, if we are going to say this, we could just as easily mention how FAU was criminally under-seeded, most thought they and Memphis would be on the 7 or 8 line and instead they played each other. Plus if we are going to say that they were close to a first round loss we should also mention that they were even closer, points wise,  to playing for a National Championship. 

Finally caught up, geez! Couple thoughts:

- I said this during last search but if we get a Pearl type we'll know we have a proven coach. If things didn't go well, then we'd know the problems most likely lie elsewhere (ex:administration)

- I am good with either of the 2 top names being thrown around. Dusty is not a fit for my first point but I think he could succeed

- I don't want Cronin, Mussleman, TJ or Cal. I just feel like there are better options for IU

- Glad to hear that many feel the tides are finally turning towards a change being made

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You can a say that you don’t care that he was an IU manager, but it’s 100% clouding peoples judgment. Folks are talking themselves into Cinderella because he used to wear IU slippers.

When you take over a program with no history, you have no expectations. You deal with zero pressure. You don’t compete against premier schools for recruits. You can just slowly build your program along the way. IU fans want to win now. They’re not going to stick around patiently for Dusty May to slowly build a team. He’s not winning 54% of his games at IU and getting a fifth season. I want a coach who has proven he can win at the highest level of college basketball.  That’s not Dusty May. 

Going to the Final Four isn’t winning at the highest level?

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Ok that must have been from when he signed the contract. If we're paying 8.5 for Pearl I would be OK with 10 for Oats. It's not my money let's spend a little more

Pearl would win here and likely big. Oats does the same but for much longer. Oats style of play is a match made in heaven for Indiana and its fans. 

Question,did IU lose to Ohio State in 63/64 in a triple overtime. I was there and I think I am right. Yeah I am old and I have seen it all. The bluebloods and the transfusions. Next year needs to be better with a new direction.

Look, we can disagree on May. That's fine. All I know is that if OSU gets him and we end up getting crapped on by one of our own (again) thats more than a fireable offense for Dolson. 

Just now, SamIam said:

Look, we can disagree on May. That's fine. All I know is that if OSU gets him and we end up getting crapped on by one of our own (again) thats more than a fireable offense for Dolson. 

I’m shocked Dolson doesn’t get more criticism. The new contracts for Tom Allen and Woodson were not justified, especially for Woodson. 

2 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Sounds familiar.

download (7).jpeg

Good comparison. They are both 100% basketball which I respect to a degree. 

Cronin isn’t the answer however. 

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You can a say that you don’t care that he was an IU manager, but it’s 100% clouding peoples judgment. Folks are talking themselves into Cinderella because he used to wear IU slippers.

When you take over a program with no history, you have no expectations. You deal with zero pressure. You don’t compete against premier schools for recruits. You can just slowly build your program along the way. IU fans want to win now. They’re not going to stick around patiently for Dusty May to slowly build a team. He’s not winning 54% of his games at IU and getting a fifth season. I want a coach who has proven he can win at the highest level of college basketball.  That’s not Dusty May. 

He got to a final 4! The same # of them as Pearl, actually, as I keep pointing out, and Pearl has spent decades at well-funded P5 schools. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I read anti-Dusty screeds. He doesn’t have to be everyone’s #1 but pretending you know it’ll take years to build is not how it works in a free transfer era.

Every successful coach was once lesser-known. I realize we’re not going to agree but some folks act like there are only two classes of coach: “proven winners TM” clear description excluded but it matches their preferences, and guys who’ll never be anything. I promise Dusty will be good somewhere.

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

How did we go from Woodson is getting a fourth year to he will be fired after one game? I want to believe he is gone I just highly doubt anything changed based on one game.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

With zero inside info I could see “those that decide” moving from another year to mercifully ending things if we come close to losing out.  

A couple of weeks ago I was dumb enough to think we would get at least 3-4 more wins but didn’t see us losing to all three (AT HOME) of Northwestern, PSU and, winless in the conference when on the road, Nebraska.  Just a horrifying skid.

1 minute ago, Trish said:

Good comparison. They are both 100% basketball which I respect to a degree. 

Cronin isn’t the answer however. 

Cronin has accomplished more the last 3 years at UCLA than IU has in the last 15. I’m not a huge fan, but he could be the answer…..

Put another way: it’s not impossible to evaluate mid-major coaches just because they’re less-resourced. Some of us didn’t like the Archie hire from the jump but apply similar critical lenses to May and see a guy who can level up

1 hour ago, Capt. Crimson said:

IU tanked its program because Sampson sent text messages to some recruits. I understand there were other issues happening within the program, but the "violation" in which we got destroyed really seems minor in 2024. 

But it wasn't 2024.  Sampson received a five year show cause penalty.

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon guys. I’m just not. So I’m going to continue to build this team and try to put this team in the best position possible and see where it leads us.”

Lol!!!

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk