Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

41 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I'd be down with that. He's not having a good year but that is an anomaly. Took Cincy to 9 straight NCAAT and UCLA to 3 straight S16+, including that FF. Only time he hasn't had a team in the NCAAT since the '10-'11 season was the COVID year and they were 19-12, 2nd in the PAC-12 so they might have made it then.

And he's 52.

Sure. That would work.

Excellent coach. Proven record as a winner. Teams play with consistent intensity. Midwestern (Cinci) guy. Recruiting? Not sure - UCLA recruits itself.

Checks every single box. Would be a monumental upgrade.

But; already makes $4.1 and his buyout would be $16 million. 

I really don't mean to discount FAU's run last year, but I do think it's relevant to at least point out that the highest seed they played was a 3. I know others have mentioned they barely got by Memphis in the first round. That's still a great run, but drawing a 16 in the round of 32 was a huge advantage. 

7 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Honestly if I had known Woodson would be the hire I would have said just keep archie. I honestly thought it as an April fools joke when it leaked they hired Woodson.I was beyond stunned.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

TJD and others were definitely leaving if Archie stayed…

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

A guy who’s been to a F4 has a worse resume than Archie? The same number of F4s as your beloved Pearl in 18 fewer years as a HC?????? You can just write anything on the internet. 

Archie Miller went to an elite eight and made four straight tournaments before coming to IU. His last four years at Dayton he went 26-11, 27-9, 25-8, and 24-8. Overall he won 69% of his games, and 67% of his conference. Yes, he had a better resume at the time IU hired him than Dusty May currently has.

Why do the Dusty fans have such a hard time accepting that he's a very risky hire in a lot of people’s minds? If he was Dusty May, former Central Michigan manager, the desire would not be nearly as strong. But, he’s an “IU guy,” so his question marks get looked past. 

Archie's dad was a legend, his brother is a well-known coach, and he played high major basketball. His brother recruited him to play at NCST and hired him as an assistant. By the time Archie was coaching, Sean was already a successful coach and Archie traded off the name. He coached at Dayton, a program with historic success. Dayton was gonna have a 1 seed 3 years after he left and might get a protected seed this year. 

A lot of people were excited for Archie because we thought he could turn a program around like his brother. But Dusty hasn't had anywhere near the help in getting where he is, he would have never been considered at Dayton because he doesn't have the name Archie does. So Dusty took a job at a program ranked 3 times worse historically in Kenpom than Dayton (210 vs 70), and still had a better run.  Dusty didn't play, he didn't have his name out there at all. He certainly didn't have his brother out there. What he's gotten he has earned completely on merit. Not a comparison. 

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

That's kind of what scares me about this year.  Players know when a program has lost momentum.  I could see a lot of players leaving if Woodson returns.  

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie Miller went to an elite eight and made four straight tournaments before coming to IU. His last four years at Dayton he went 26-11, 27-9, 25-8, and 24-8. Overall he won 69% of his games, and 67% of his conference. Yes, he had a better resume at the time IU hired him than Dusty May currently has.

Why do the Dusty fans have such a hard time accepting that he's a very risky hire in a lot of people’s minds? If he was Dusty May, former Central Michigan manager, the desire would not be nearly as strong. But, he’s an “IU guy,” so his question marks get looked past. 

Don’t care at all that he was an IU manager. Care that he’s built a team better than any Archie (or Woody) team by Kenpom and  tourney success AT EFF AYY YOU. Everyone wins at Dayton.

Everyone’s risky, I think he’s FAR less so than most other options.

Put it this way: if we made a “wins above replacement coach” that factored in program, talent based on recruiting rankings etc. May’s performance at FAU would break the charts.

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

That's kind of what scares me about this year.  Players know when a program has lost momentum.  I could see a lot of players leaving if Woodson returns.  

I can see some leaving if he stays and some leaving if he returns.  Might as well make the move and get the jump on turning it around. 

May be true but there is zero point in firing someone if your next hire is the same or even worse. And tjd simply made Woodson look far better than he is as a coach and we still were not even that great.

Just now, Hornsby said:

I think the women playtonight. I may even watch probably be more entertaining

Maybe we can get CTM to move to the men's team as the coach.

1 hour ago, 68Hoosier said:

Just for fun, let's say Pearl is off the table.  Is Dusty next on the list.  To me these two are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  Who would be someone in the middle that still checks all the boxes.  

TJ Oltzelberger from Iowa St.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If he was Dusty May, former Central Michigan manager, the desire would not be nearly as strong. But, he’s an “IU guy,” so his question marks get looked past. 

Why is it a negative that he had to take lower assistant jobs? People who start as managers don't have the cred, they have to start at places like that. We should be saying, holy sh*t, he went from Eastern* Michigan to the final four! You wouldn't refer to Chris Beard 'Former North Texas Assistant." 

Also the fact that we just heard about OSU taking a look at him speaks to the fact that it's not just that he's an IU guy. 

1 hour ago, IU Prof said:

A few random thoughts:

1) I don't get the concern with Pearl's age. Yes you would ideally hire a guy who's going to be around for 20 years,  but 6-8 is all you can realistically expect. Hell, 8 years ago was 3 coaching staffs ago here. He'll give you 6-8 barring something unforeseen.  And he can win a championship here.

2) Nothing new here, but my biggest concern with retaining Woodson is that there are multiple problems he has to fix in one off-season. The problem is both (i) not enough talent and (ii) maximizing the talent he does have. IU needs better players, but even with this roster the team should be performing better. You can convince yourself one of those issues can be fixed in an off-season,  but both is a stretch.

3) While Pearl, Oats, or May may well prevail, any coaching search that doesn't seriously kick the tires on TJ Otzelberger is missing the boat...

You’ve been saying that name for awhile here and honestly, I blew it off. I’ve been digging more and more and  I think you’re onto something here. The UNLV stint is scary but everything else says he’s a star. 

4 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Don’t care at all that he was an IU manager. Care that he’s built a team better than any Archie (or Woody) team by Kenpom and  tourney success AT EFF AYY YOU. Everyone wins at Dayton.

Everyone’s risky, I think he’s FAR less so than most other options.

Put it this way: if we made a “wins above replacement coach” that factored in program, talent based on recruiting rankings etc. May’s performance at FAU would break the charts.

You can a say that you don’t care that he was an IU manager, but it’s 100% clouding peoples judgment. Folks are talking themselves into Cinderella because he used to wear IU slippers.

When you take over a program with no history, you have no expectations. You deal with zero pressure. You don’t compete against premier schools for recruits. You can just slowly build your program along the way. IU fans want to win now. They’re not going to stick around patiently for Dusty May to slowly build a team. He’s not winning 54% of his games at IU and getting a fifth season. I want a coach who has proven he can win at the highest level of college basketball.  That’s not Dusty May.