Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

24 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

It is hard to get to a Final Four and there is more parity but we have a dream (some would say ridiculous fantasy) to once again be a legitimate blue blood.

In spite of the 64 team expansion,  since ‘84, in that timeframe UCONN has won 5 nattys, Duke 5, UNC 4, Kansas 3, Nova 3 and UK 3.  The top tier programs have continued to win a disproportionate percentage of the championships. Would be fun to be back in those conversations.

Absolutely. It's insane what UConn has been able to do. I still think Indiana University can be relevant again, It's just up to the administration to make the right moves. I'd take Pearl, Cronin, May over what we have now. 

How did we go from Woodson is getting a fourth year to he will be fired after one game? I want to believe he is gone I just highly doubt anything changed based on one game.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mick Cronin is getting a lot of talk on other sites like Peegs. He's unhappy at UCLA because of their NIL program is rumored to be a candidate at UL & OSU.

I prefer Dusty myself but Mick is interesting

Cronin has done pretty well at UCLA. I wouldn't mind giving Otzelberger from Iowa State a shot either.

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

How did we go from Woodson is getting a fourth year to he will be fired after one game? I want to believe he is gone I just highly doubt anything changed based on one game.

Nebraska almost dropped 100 on us at home. lol

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

@Chris007 How are the vibes today?

We almost got beat by 100 by Nebraska at home. lol
I get that but he was either on the hot seat or he wasn't based on his whole body of work.

Just now, Hornsby said:

The power of positive thinking...

Buckner wants to give him another year (allegedly, as he's not taking my calls)...

but every time Woodson coaches a game, the noose tightens just a bit... we have to hit the breaking point soon... 

Just now, Hornsby said:

I get that but he was either on the hot seat or he wasn't based on his whole body of work.

Just depends on what people were willing to say publicly I suppose. I'm sure the plan was for him to get another year. Maybe it still is. But the pressure is not where it was a week ago. We have obviously seen where this is headed because we've been here before. Twice very recently. They should be evaluating where things stand. For all we know, Liam could open up his recruitment at this point. 

17 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Yeah I can understand not wanting Pearl coz of age/buyout but his performance at Auburn is just not a good point IMO. 

He's had more 20+ win seasons than any of our coaches other than Knight and we've had 4 30+ win seasons, Pearl's already had 1 at Auburn. 

And, as I think someone else said, he didn't have the portal early on at Auburn. You'd have to imagine that Bruce Pearl + IU + IU NIL money would definitely be attractive to transfers.

Someone with Pearls coaching record 15 or even 10 years younger would be considered an absolute grand slam hire by pretty much everyone. Even at 64, another 6 or 8 could be special. Heck Laranaga went to an EE and FF in back to back years in 22 and 23 and he’s 74. I’d prefer Dusty I think, but by basically any metric if we could get Pearl it would be a grand slam. I wanted him when Archie was hired, and would venture a bet had we done it then we’d have already seen a FF and probably another banner. 

50 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

The lackluster first half, the aborted comeback effort, the boo birds, the number of empty seats at SSAH all with Dolson sitting court-side may be moving the needle just a bit. Then there's the Queen news...

Anyone else think Chris Mack could be a viable candidate? Would anyone be in favor of him? I'm not going to pretend to know why it didn't work out at Louisville, but his record at Xavier speaks for itself. He was actually my preferred candidate to replace Crean. 

26 minutes ago, ISP said:

The Trilly stuff is (a) Trilly said that he thinks Pearl would be IU's option 1 if Woody was let go (b) previously he said he reached out to someone close to Pearl and they said "the IU job has always meant something more to Bruce"

Bruce Pearl was the head coach at USI, my alma mater, for 9 years. He gets Indiana basketball. Go google his comments before the IU-Auburn game about Indiana Basketball. I remember reading it at the time thinking "Holy cow, I think this guy would want to be here". 

I don't like how the media paints Bruce Pearl to be dirty. Bruce still is in contact with his D2 players from USI. I've shared the story on here but I coached with someone who played for Bruce. He doesn't big time anybody. He cares about them. Invites them to games all the time to sit in practice and go in the locker room during games. He is a reference for all these guys.

People in Evansville have amazing things to say about him. USI basketball was equivalent to Nebraska basketball in D2. He turned them into a powerhouse. Without his success in the 90's, Herdes and Watson probably don't go to Elite 8's and USI isn't D1 right now. 

Is he guaranteed to win a National Title here? Heck no. But his track record at USI, Miluwakee, Tennessee, and Auburn tell me two things: 

1) He will change the culture. 

2) He will win. His teams compete for conference titles as well as National Titles. 

I texted by buddy that I would buy him a steak dinner if he could get Bruce Pearl back to Indiana. lol

5 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

I think it's because as terrible as they are playing, it's looking more and more like they are going to lose out the rest of the way.