Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Michigan - Tuesday, 12.05.23 @ 9:00 on Peacock TV

39 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

This flawed IU team never gave up.  Players down the bench are all starting to get it. More rebounding by others than Ware helps.  Defense is better, too.  

A tip of the ole toupee to Coach Woodson for calling a couple of timely timeouts.

Did you see the way that IU was covering the 3-point shot? Cupps makes me laugh.  Only because he is steady and a freshman on the road in the Big Ten conference games. He does seem to get the ball into the flow of the offense more quickly than X.  Nice.

Sure, there were turnovers and missed assignments; but, overall there is marked improvement in communication and knowing what to do and when.

Reneau needs to not foul.  Ware needs to not foul in the first half.  Ware needs to know what to do if and when he is doubled or cannot get open for a pass.  Standing around on offense is a killer.  Hit some free throws down the stretch and IU is a tough team to beat.  But we shall see.

Once they ran a couple of plays for individuals, things clicked again.  Everyone scored.  Everyone contributed.

This team is starting to show some toughness too!

Just now, HoosierHoopster said:

100%

When we landed Ware the talk was there was no way he could replace TJD, the dominant inside player he was, and with Ware coming off a lackluster year at Oregon, but the potential was there, and man has he broken through to that potential --

Whether or not we compare him to TJD, he's a dominant player in his own right with, in my opinion, more versatility to his game, and that likely will only continue to grow through the season

Right - the nuances of their game are very different. But how fortunate could be to have virtually no drop off on interior production - offensively and defensively - after leaving TJD. Woody sure is making the Oregon coaching staff look like amateurs the way Ware has put it together so quickly

Just now, btownqb said:

Why? 

I understand that he’s going to have a lot of mistakes but I just see that potential at the end of the road.

He’s got great defending instincts but more importantly he has the athleticism to stop elite guards from driving on us for easy buckets. Needs reps for that.

I was also very encouraged by his shooting yesterday. I love Trey and he definitely has a big part of the team but he can’t shoot well. If Gunn could shoot that jumper and three even into an average level that just opens up more space for our big men who have great footwork and can cause some serious damage. He has the form and release angle which makes me believe that with more time and reps that we can have that by the time march rolls around.  Him and Mgbako are the key to the type of run we’ll have. Just my opinion. 

9 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I like Cupps but I think some people expected too much out of him as a frosh. I've regularly said I think he can be a good piece as upper classmen but will likely need to adjust and develop to the college game.

In his 8th college game, he just played as the lead guard for 32 minutes with 1 turnover in a B1G road game. He needs to get better, but I don't think he needs to "adjust to the college game" at all.

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Maybe, just maybe, we'll look back at the end of the season and consider that losing X for multiple games was actually beneficial for the development of the team.

I don't think there's any real question that playing w/o X is beneficial to team/certain individual player development.

The bigger question is whether we're better with him or without -- I don't think there's a legitimate question that we're better with him, but very happy to see the development of players like Cupps

10 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

What's crazy is that it initially looks like Ware jumps just a split second too soon but then he just hangs out in the air waiting for the ball to come to him.

6 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I don't think there's any real question that playing w/o X is beneficial to team/certain individual player development.

The bigger question is whether we're better with him or without -- I don't think there's a legitimate question that we're better with him, but very happy to see the development of players like Cupps

Tony Adragna posted this a week ago. We’re better with X. I’m ready for the question to die. This injury stinks because it feels like it does take him some games to wind up and start controlling the floor. 

DD9FB494-5E62-4DE8-9E8D-79E276A7C6C4.png