Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Michigan - Tuesday, 12.05.23 @ 9:00 on Peacock TV

15 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Queen has to like seeing how our bigs perform, especially Reneau's development. I'd like to have another long athletic 7 footer like Ware though.

We need more from our starting backcourt, period. Galloway isn't a lead guard and his shooting has vanished. Johnson wasn't playing great but at least provided depth.

Gunn could be a help but so often he's as much a liability as an asset. Hopefully seeing a couple 3s go down gives him a boost.

Still need more consistency from Mgbako but he's FTs were big down the stretch.

7-1 and 2-0 to start conference, can't really complain about that.

I'm kinda in the same position. I have a long list of (legitimate) complaints and criticisms about this team....but they are 7-1! I much prefer learning while winning!  

I've said it before, but if Queen is paying attention to what Bigs have done at IU the last few years and still chooses someplace else? That's on him. I mean sheesh. 

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

How dare you.  I’m filing a formal complaint with the Btb disciplinary commission.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hova is in charge of that too.

Your complaint has been accepted* and will be processed**.

*saw it

**shredding it

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Also--- and you guys brought up the subject of kids--- I watched the game, in the hospital, while I held my not-yet-two-day-old-daugther. She was born Monday morning. Emery Anne 

And, dont worry--- she won't be saving the ball under our own basket in the 2044 Women's March Madness. 

On a serious note--- I have a new found respect for my wife. My god. Tough af. 

Snapchat-5660461.jpg

Congratulations! She's beautiful. 

I don't mean to get us off topic from the Ware-o-Dactyl and baby photos (congratulations on your beautiful family BtownQB :) ... But I just rewatched the game... you've got to love a conference road win regardless of your thoughts on how strong UM is.

--- Cupps defense was better than I gave him credit for, I happily admit. He does so many of the small but important things well it’s easy to see why fans gush over him, even if he is not as lengthy/explosive, etc. as the competition. Late in the first half, he jumped with Reed to contest the alley oop (lol) without fouling when he saw he couldn’t tip the pass away. Gallo had better positioning but didn’t even jump and Reneau was also close but moved out of the way to get ready to inbound the ball. GC was also running the FT huddle early in the game with the starting 5... as a freshman in his first conference road game. Coach’s kid written all over him. Not going to speculate on his potential as a player… just really, really glad he’s on our team. 

---- Mack and Cupps are also developing pretty darn good chemistry. I like them playing together. They had a miscommunication in the first half that caused a silly TO but Cupps also found Mack on a couple cuts to the basket. I think he gets Mack the ball where he likes it and is really vocal on defense, which helps Mack a lot at this point. Michigan was not MM's best game - improvement won’t always be a straight line upward - but he was solid enough and clutch at the end. Miles ahead of where he started the season. If he continues this pace of progress… look out. If he's hit his plateau this year already (doubtful IMO), he’s still the best shooter on this team and that’s a role our offense/roster sorely needs.

When XJ is back and it's time to get Gunn or Banks minutes, I could see Cupps and Mack playing really well with Gallo/Walker/Sparks (or Ware… obviously). If those two can play efficient “buddy ball” on the perimeter, that would make us very tough to handle. Whether you think he should start or not, everyone can have their own opinion… but it’s kind of silly in hindsight that some wanted Mack benched after less than a handful of games and thought we’d be “worse off” for him getting minutes. This team needs MM to be a real perimeter/scoring threat. Full stop. This was his 3rd straight game in double figures. A lot to things to improve/clean up but excited for the rest of his year. If you still think he needs to be benched/not get 25+ minutes… we can just agree to disagree. 

--- Gunn’s best game as a Hoosier, probably our best on ball defender when he is at his best. Banks looks like he’s finding his groove. Both still have so much room for improvement, I hope we get to see their continued development as part of our program. Walker did a nice job overall, had a great offensive rebound on a Ware miss around the 10 min mark…

--- Still a lot of work needed on the chemistry front and other aspects but the fact we’ve absolutely made real, visible improvements in 8 games (7-1, 2-0) is VERY encouraging. We have not scratched the surface of this team’s potential yet. They have still not played a full 40 minutes of ”good” basketball. No player on this team is perfect but as they learn how to play with each other, Woodson showed us all last night that he will put them in position to win close games. The fellas just have to get better one day at a time and execute the gameplan.

For the various faults/criticisms we all have… we’ve got a solid 10 guys. Hopefully the bench continues to be able to contribute as they improve/gel as a team. Other teams will also get better as the season goes on, but you cannot deny the rate at which we’ve improved through 8 games gives reason for encouragement. 

--- Am I “optimistic” yet though? Beat either of Auburn or Kansas and I sure as hell will be. 

We’ll have a week between those games. I hope on short turn around time this week, we look prepared and bring the intensity vs Auburn. I don’t know how we match up with them but that game looks more winnable than it did a week ago on paper. Kansas is obviously a great team but you never know in the Hall. I expect us to compete in that game and for it to be close at a minimum. Winning either would be HUGE for our resume. These will be great measuring stick games but if they don’t go our way (as long we they’re not blowouts and we play with effort) I’m not going to be worried sick at all.

I’ll definitely be grumpy if they lose in front of me again at Rutgers though lol. Last year was rough and I’m bringing my old man this time. Looking forward to seeing the #1 team in the B1G standings in about a month, especially after yesterday’s gritty win. The Breslin Center looked completely sad, by the way. 

3 minutes ago, Whoozhers said:

Last thing from me is that #13 for Michigan should have been indicted for murder on Malik’s drive with 8 seconds to go….. NO FOUL CALLED!    Unconscionable!

Ref had his head up his kiester.

For the most part, I thought the refs "let them play". And I'll take that all day. Ware did quite a bit of "hooking" during his baby sky hook. And there were a couple of make up calls. Cupps did get totally screwed on that potential steal near the baseline. 

19 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

For the most part, I thought the refs "let them play". And I'll take that all day. Ware did quite a bit of "hooking" during his baby sky hook. And there were a couple of make up calls. Cupps did get totally screwed on that potential steal near the baseline. 

You may be right…. But…

Just watched the highlights on Peacock….. BLATANT no call

It was so bad….. We should ask where to send our condolences to Malik’s family.