Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

11 hours ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Player's Perspective: Curt Cignetti - YouTube

This is excellent.  Best interview of Cignetti I've seen.  They even address whether he will want to leave after he builds success here.

Good watch. I loved his comment about not compromising and lowering standards.

6 hours ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Player's Perspective: Curt Cignetti - YouTube

This is excellent.  Best interview of Cignetti I've seen.  They even address whether he will want to leave after he builds success here.

I think if you do nothing else, you should listen to Coach Cig’s answer to the question that starts at the 32:48 mark. He says what he means, and he is asked about staying at IU for the foreseeable future.

13 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I think if you do nothing else, you should listen to Coach Cig’s answer to the question that starts at the 32:48 mark. He says what he means, and he is asked about staying at IU for the foreseeable future.

....yep, we often think we run things at home, but....I've always believed, "If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!" lol

Look, she LOVES Bloomington and he gets to keep his 35 year old, blue recliner.....It's a wrap. lol

15 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It was good to hear him say that but, I am sure there are some people who heard some similar things from him about JMU.  It is going to take a pay raise for him and his staff plus a bigger commitment to NIL than we have now to keep SEC programs from snatching him.  It is possible that happens here but those are big time investments in a program that would be new to IU.  

Some will say that he would have to compete against some of the best college football programs weekly in the SEC but taking the IU job and expecting to compete against OSU, Michigan, PSU, Oregon is no cake walk.  I don't see that being something that will scare him away.  

It will come down to whether we are willing to invest in the football program to make sure he continues to feel that we have "unlimited potential".  

16 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I have read JMU interviews in which Cig mentions his old recliner (although it was only 31 years old then LOL), he mentioned that he and his wife loved Harrisonburg and that JMU was his last stop.  Sounds familiar, doesn’t it. Do I think he is being insincere in this current interview? No I don’t but things/perspective can change when new opportunities open up.

We cannot know what he might do without knowing his career goal. Maybe he would love to finish his career rebuilding a traditional national power (Florida?) or perhaps he is happy at the current level he has reached (ie he finally landed a P5 job and a very substantial pay raise). Who knows, Cig might not even know but certain programs “sales pitches” might turn his head…or maybe not.

All the speculation will be a moot point if we only win 1-2 of our last games but will skyrocket if we win 10-11.
In any case I’m just going to enjoy this season.

A wildly random thought while basking in the glow of winning IU football:  Is there a scenario in which Cig could end up a College HOF coach? Right now he’s obviously not, but is it possible for a 63yo guy to do enough  in, say, 7-10 years at a program as destitute as this one has been, short of winning Natty’s,  to create that kind of narrative? What made me think of that was that Bill Snyder’s name came up in a conversation. Dude’s in the HOF because he took a dead program and turned it into a live one. But he was there for like 15 years the 1st time. Is it possible to create that sort of perception of a guy’s career in a smaller window?

17 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I have read JMU interviews in which Cig mentions his old recliner (although it was only 31 years old then LOL), he mentioned that he and his wife loved Harrisonburg and that JMU was his last stop.  Sounds familiar, doesn’t it. Do I think he is being insincere in this current interview? No I don’t but things/perspective can change when new opportunities open up.

Cig is a master at creating his talking points and sticking to them. Every interview he gave between being hired and the start of the season was a copy/paste. Never take a coach at their word when discussing their current job.

It isn't a knock, just reality.

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Cig is a master at creating his talking points and sticking to them. Every interview he gave between being hired and the start of the season was a copy/paste. Never take a coach at their word when discussing their current job.

It isn't a knock, just reality.

I think he's being honest that he wants to work with Dolsen to continue to get the things he needs.  This year also has a long way to go as far and the perception of the results.  Much can change.  If he continues winning, the needs likely go up, but i'd imagine Indiana will answer those needs.  

19 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

We cannot know what he might do without knowing his career goal. Maybe he would love to finish his career rebuilding a traditional national power (Florida?) or perhaps he is happy at the current level he has reached (ie he finally landed a P5 job and a very substantial pay raise). Who knows, Cig might not even know but certain programs “sales pitches” might turn his head…or maybe not.

All the speculation will be a moot point if we only win 1-2 of our last games but will skyrocket if we win 10-11.
In any case I’m just going to enjoy this season.

Family is important, as we all know. He has mentioned, while at JMU that it was close to "home" or family. He was born and grew up in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania and grew up and eventually graduated from West Virginia. So being at IU would be relatively close to "home" or family. Family and being in close proximity seems to be very important to him, especially at this point in his career. 

I think IU will do everything it can to make sure Curt and his family are happy at IU because other schools will definitely come calling. I thought I would include an old JMU with his two daughters and his wife. It's definitely a good looking family!

AD_4nXeGln-MYlI5baCay4bK7Qu8g9xvE-5HlXvHUpYZGSA_owMovG-S0PQL65r-g-QCKEE-S9tze7DO-RxmsO7GmtxxLhq2J_otlSrD8Ene9rgnlOoOxT7hdCTUTjnRF0wO-m6cBnxyQpeTNRju2Ls4TpcBu0OH?key=dL1U9DKlZr9Z7PzU5doCfA

CC.pdf

13 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think he's being honest that he wants to work with Dolsen to continue to get the things he needs.

I also think he thinks that. But he thinks that until he doesn't and those things move fast. At the same time, like you said, I believe we're ready to pony up to be a serious program because that's the only way to financially thrive as an athletic program right now. 

I really am just trying to enjoy the ride this year, but these things naturally come up and they're fascinating to follow.

The man asking him this question is connected to one of the richest names in Indiana with an estimated $3B net worth. The man answering the question knows this and answered the question to perfection.

Coach Cig is present. If his agent calls him, like he mentioned in this interview, his agent calls him. The main point of this post is to focus on the guy asking the questions if we want to have a seat at the table with the big boys. 

Mr. Yonkman, if you're reading this, thank you very much for your contributions and I very much appreciate all of the help that you are doing not only for IU athletics but IUFB in particular. 

In the meantime, be present, enjoy this ride folks. We got ourselves a coach!

Edit: Made correction to net worth claim.  

30 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

The man asking him this question is the richest name in Indiana with an estimated $3B net worth. The man answering the question knows this and answered the question to perfection.

Coach Cig is present. If his agent calls him, like he mentioned in this interview, his agent calls him. The main point of this post is to focus on the guy asking the questions if we want to have a seat at the table with the big boys. 

Mr. Yonkman, if you're reading this, thank you very much for your contributions and I very much appreciate all of the help that you are doing not only for IU athletics but IUFB in particular. 

Bill (RIP) and his wife Gayle, and now their son Carl, are billionaires. Carl being the richest man in Indiana at an estimated $10.7 billion. The other 2 in the state are Irsay and Simon.

Pete does very well I am sure in his top spot with Cook, and is actively involved in IU Sports and NIL Collectives alongside the Cooks, but I don't believe he is anywhere near a billionaire. 

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

The man asking him this question is the richest name in Indiana with an estimated $3B net worth. The man answering the question knows this and answered the question to perfection.

Thanks for the background.  I only listened to the podcast but wondered who the person was who was interviewing Cigs.  2 degrees from IU, president of Cook since 2013 and has been actively involved in "start-ups".  If the $3B net worth is accurate, and he has some friends in that range he may just be the perfect guy to have involved.  He is even good running the podcast but it seems he has a background doing that as well.  Certainly, feeling better about Cigs answer to his question.