Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2023-24 IUBB ROSTER

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Oh but I can. Didn’t think it was necessary.

Speed, speed speed, and quickness. Ball handling ability. Yogi had that thing on a rope. Cupps has decent to good ball handling but not even close to the ability to work the ball. Elevation on jumper.

Vision-PG skills may be near equal but the above allows you to get to places Cupps won’t be able to get to.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Ball handling is false. Elevation on jumper is effeftively the same. 

Yogi had an incredible first year as a freshman.  Then he got injured.  Bell rang a couple of times.  And other injuries.  Never really reached nirvana.  

Comparing Yogi as a college great to Cupps as a senior in high school maybe a little premature.  

Yet, Yogi was a dream.

Cupps may just be our future.

Ball handling is false. Elevation on jumper is effeftively the same. 

Lol. Go back and watch Yogi and report back. I’ve watched Cupps plenty. I’m not trying to knock the kid, although it’s starting to feel that way. I just think this mantra that he’s Indiana’s savior at point guard is far from a sure thing. It can happen, but there’s a reason why scouts have seen him A LOT and have over most services dropped his rankings vs raised them. I think he’s a great system guy. Let’s see if it’s our system. I hope it is.

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

He isn't close to Yogi in high school. Yogi was rated a lot higher and made the McDonald's AA game. He is quicker and probably handled the ball better 

Don't mean to speak for @btownqb but I think the confusion is that he's referring to stylistically  

I don't think he's saying Cupps should have been a 5* burger boy, and hes not saying Cupps is coming in and starting with 25mpg.

He's saying that several people have compared Cupps game to Hulls which isnt very accurate. Cupps game stylistically and the attributes he he has are more like how Yogi played.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Don't mean to speak for @btownqb but I think the confusion is that he's referring to stylistically  

I don't think he's saying Cupps should have been a 5* burger boy, and hes not saying Cupps is coming in and starting with 25mpg.

He's saying that several people have compared Cupps game to Hulls which isnt very accurate. Cupps game stylistically and the attributes he he has are more like how Yogi played.  

I watched both and when I saw Cupps I never thought he looked like Yogi in any way 

6 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Yogi had an incredible first year as a freshman.  Then he got injured.  Bell rang a couple of times.  And other injuries.  Never really reached nirvana.  

Comparing Yogi as a college great to Cupps as a senior in high school maybe a little premature.  

Yet, Yogi was a dream.

Cupps may just be our future.

Yogi was still a role player as a FR. And I didnt necessarily say he was "as good" as Yogi. I said their games are similar. The things they do, the ways they score. 

As far as overall impact as a FR.. I don't think it will be Yogis, no. 

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Lol. Go back and watch Yogi and report back. I’ve watched Cupps plenty. I’m not trying to knock the kid, although it’s starting to feel that way. I just think this mantra that he’s Indiana’s savior at point guard is far from a sure thing. It can happen, but there’s a reason why scouts have seen him A LOT and have over most services dropped his rankings vs raised them. I think he’s a great system guy. Let’s see if it’s our system. I hope it is.

watched Yogi probably what? 130 games in college... another 20 or so in HS... 

The same type stuff was said about Yogi. For sure. Too small, yotta yotta.. won't get his shot off. 

But again, the things they do, are similar. The way they play. 

watched Yogi probably what? 130 games in college... another 20 or so in HS... 
The same type stuff was said about Yogi. For sure. Too small, yotta yotta.. won't get his shot off. 
But again, the things they do, are similar. The way they play. 

Ok. Yeah, they are similar in the fact they are smallish true point guards. Then not too similar after that.

The only reason Yogi was a role player in college was because  he was on our best team since our last final four. H yogi has more natural talent than Cupps. However I think Cupps will be an awesome point guard simply because he’s going to get better coaching (Woodson is way better than Crean).  

15 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

The only reason Yogi was a role player in college was because  he was on our best team since our last final four. H yogi has more natural talent than Cupps. However I think Cupps will be an awesome point guard simply because he’s going to get better coaching (Woodson is way better than Crean).  

Yogi had good leaders his freshman year.

His sophomore/junior seasons he was the leader - and was more interested in leading the partying than basketball. He could have produced massive numbers if he’d have matured before his senior season.

1 minute ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Yogi had good leaders his freshman year.

His sophomore/junior seasons he was the leader - and was more interested in leading the partying that basketball. He could have produced massive numbers if he’d have matured before his senior season.

This is true. He had so much natural talent but that was a problem with Coach Crean being a bad disciplinarian as well. Yogi wouldn’t get away with that with Woodson. Cupps is a grinder and a gym rat. I do think Cupps will be awesome but I think you’ll see sparks his freshman year. The fireworks will come his sophomore year.  

13 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

But even as a role player, yogi wasn’t the shooter he would become.

23 hours ago, normandale97 said:

I’m honestly stunned at some of the Cupps takes. Comparing him to JHS is just insane…or even Yogi. Again…I’ve seen little of him…but why is he only a fringe top 100 kid if he is this good? Why do IU fans seem to think he is much better than the scouts do? I’ll say it again, he seems very small, slow and not terribly athletic. 

I honestly have to ask- what are your expectations for IU basketball? Everything you post is a “tempering of expectations” or a negative light on the program/recruiting. 

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

Go back and read the posts Gleas, that’s not how it went. He compared Cupps to Yogi directly and has basically stood by that comparison including his skill level. The Hulls comparison was in response, and frankly it’s closer, Hulls was really a 2 but played both on ball and off, was an excellent shooter, more cerebral less speed, not exceptionally athletic but not unathletic, sees the floor well. This isn’t a discussion of hey he’s Hulls, it’s that he is not on Yogi’s level or very similar to Yogi coming in, and he’s not. At one point the comment was that his burst was maybe a little slower than Yogi, and that’s not even remotely accurate. That was the discussion