Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - Thursday, 1/5/23 @ 9:00 on FS1

1.  Losing Race will be huge.  We don't have anyone that can bring close to what he does.  His loss last night had a definite impact.

2. We handled the zone poorly.  Partly because of how we attacked it, but also because we still don't have shooting.  Kopp plays his butt off and smartly too, but he's supposed to be our best shooter.  His 3-pt % is of little importance if he's not shooting.  No one else is reliable from outside.

3. I really didn't like the play to have JHS drive to the bucket with 16 seconds to go, probably mostly because he couldn't convert but also it gives iowa another shot.

4. Finally, fran mccafferty is an asshoe.  Plain and simple.  Any other coach would kicked out of the game for the asinine behavior he repeatedly engages in.  That BS at midcourt illustrates that AND what a clownshow B10 officiating is.

3 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

2. We handled the zone poorly.  Partly because of how we attacked it, but also because westill don't have shooting.  Kopp plays his butt off and smartly too, buthe's supposed to be our best shooter.  His 3-pt % is of little importance if he's not shooting.  No one else is reliable from outside.

I don’t think this is true. JHS shot the lights out. Kopp is fine when open. Bates was hitting shots. Galloway couldn’t get open. Which is the problem. We have horrible spacing and the guys throw the ball around the perimeter with their feet not set and 7ft away from the arc. That’s not hard to defend.  

We don’t shoot a ton of threes but someone posted the other day that we’re near the top in percentages. 

We aren't mighty Indiana anymore. It's an absurd narrative to say a part of the reason we lose games is that teams get more up to play against us than other teams. That's just not true at this point.

It’s a way to make ourselves feel better after losing winnable games. Other teams play with e and e we know we should. Instead of calling it for what it is we cope. This has been going on for several years.

26 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My thoughts on this game. I haven't read anyone else thoughts so forgive me if I'm saying what has already been stated.

Our defense is so much worse this season than last season. Our offense last night wasn't very good against the zone. We had 13 days to prepare for Iowa did anyone know that they play zone?

Geronimo will make 1 good play and 3 bad ones. TJD gave a champion's effort. JHS was really good. The rest was kind of blah.

Please play CJ Gunn. 

We're snake bitten with injuries. X is out, Race will be out, TJD and JHS both have back problems.

We get a T for throwing the ball to the ref. We get a foul for taking an elbow to the face. How is it a basketball play when your elbow is above your shoulder? Why are 3 guys who never played basketball deciding what a basketball play is? How do you give a coach a T for leaving his box, going passed halfcourt into our huddle and then take it back. Mind blowing that he gets to act the way he does. It's every game now.

I think Miller Kopp just shot faked again

Very disappointing. 

I missed the game, maybe a good thing. Having not watched the game I'm just looking at the box score and wondering about your Geronimo comment.

From the box, in 19 mins, he was 4-6 and 1-1 for 9 points, 5 rebounds (3 of which were offensive), 3 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 2 TO's and 3 fouls.

That looks like a strong game. Meanwhile Malik had 3 fouls and 2 TO's in 6 minutes.

I'm not posting this so people can try to paint me as adoring JG, I'm wondering who can step up with Race out, and am having a hard time seeing that line reflecting this kind of comment on JG's game.

It's an upsetting loss, but not unexpected. That's the tragedy, that I've become accustomed to expecting a loss on the road, no matter the opponent.

I have us losing all of our road games except Minnesota, and winning all of our home games except Wisconsin. 

That leaves us around 19-12 for the season. Sad, because I know this team is talented and experienced enough to win the conference and get to a Final 4.

2 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

It's an upsetting loss, but not unexpected. That's the tragedy, that I've become accustomed to expecting a loss on the road, no matter the opponent.

I have us losing all of our road games except Minnesota, and winning all of our home games except Wisconsin. 

That leaves us around 19-12 for the season. Sad, because I know this team is talented and experienced enough to win the conference and get to a Final 4.

You just knew that 20 point lead meant nothing 

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I missed the game, maybe a good thing. Having not watched the game I'm just looking at the box score and wondering about your Geronimo comment.

From the box, in 19 mins, he was 4-6 and 1-1 for 9 points, 5 rebounds (3 of which were offensive), 3 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 2 TO's and 3 fouls.

That looks like a strong game. Meanwhile Malik had 3 fouls and 2 TO's in 6 minutes.

I'm not posting this so people can try to paint me as adoring JG, I'm wondering who can step up with Race out, and am having a hard time seeing that line reflecting this kind of comment on JG's game.

JG was lost on most possessions last night. 1 good play, 3 bad. Out of position on defense, sporadic, erratic at times. Just a terrible game for him despite the box score.

Let me be clear...we let them come back from a 20 point deficit...this is solely on us. 

But...I am very interested how the Big Ten would answer for a Technical being given to Fran for coming down to our bench and causing that scene, and then somehow taking the technical back? In the same game that Geronimo get's a delay of game for tossing the ball to a ref allowing them a free-throw, Iowa get's a called technical that was clearly warranted retracted at a pivotal game deciding point...mindboggling. 

Also just as curious to see how the Big Ten handles Woody's comments post game on it. 

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

You just knew that 20 point lead meant nothing 

After Wisconsin last year 

1 minute ago, reconmkd said:

JG was lost on most possessions last night. 1 good play, 3 bad. Out of position on defense, sporadic, erratic at times. Just a terrible game for him despite the box score.

Race was holding Murray in check too

Just now, reconmkd said:

Exactly and with Races injury we will get more of that.

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

At one point I think he was 0-3 on the front end of 1 and 1’s. He was continually lost on defense (at least one of those blocks was him recovering from getting beat). He got beat to rebounds a bunch of time and other times had the ball go through his hands.  He could’ve played the whole game but the team played better when Kopp moved to the 4 and he never came back in.  

He’s 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. It’s a little extra frustrating because he’s so physically talented. Steve Hart 2.0.