Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - Thursday, 1/5/23 @ 9:00 on FS1

13 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Having watched the game I was absolutely shocked to see that box line. Shocked. Scroll out a little further on that line and you'll see a +/- of -18. In 18 minutes. That's right, -18 in 18 minutes.

I just saw that.  Kind of impressive in a wtf kind of way.

31 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

You're really going out of your way here. Malik was, it appears, terrible in 6 minutes. Malik is going to be outstanding. It's interesting to me that someone can be so lost as you describe and have that strong of a box line.

The box score doesn't show points given up on defense.  Whoever Geronimo was guarding was getting an easy bucket.  He was guarding Murray to start the second half, and 6 minutes into the period Murray was outscoring our entire team.  He made a couple nice plays, and you see those in the box score, but he was a disaster virtually every possession on the defensive end.

31 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Having watched the game I was absolutely shocked to see that box line. Shocked. Scroll out a little further on that line and you'll see a +/- of -18. In 18 minutes. That's right, -18 in 18 minutes.

Thanks for the further feedback. That just sucks. We're going to need JG, he has a great deal of promise and it's disconcerting that he'd still be as lost as  you describe. He's had games where he's played very well, but can't find consistency.

44 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Has to fit in defensively in Woodson's system. 

I have some issues with Woodson's decision-making, but I haven't seen play from Gunn to justify thinking he should be playing major minutes in B1G level play. We need guys who have the strength and demonstrated ability to play against the better college bigs.

On the plus side, Woodson has been talking about shaking up lineups, he's gotten Bates playing more with increased offensive production, and Kopp's game has grown better than I thought it would.

Has to fit in defensively? WHAT DEFENSE?!?!? We freaking suck on defense!

This trajectory on the season and to some extent, this trajectory on the coach's tenure feel all too familiar.   

I need to be more of a one game at a time type of fan, but the forward projection of this experiment is starting to feel predictable.  

I mean we might even get top end talent in 2024 and 2025 but that's not the end all be all.  Look at Duke and UK this season.  Talent off the charts.  

I don't know the answers.  Keep grinding, recruit some mentally tough as hell kids, and hope for the best, I guess.  

#demoralized 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Has to fit in defensively? WHAT DEFENSE?!?!? We freaking suck on defense!

maybe the most mystifying aspect.  We can't stop straight line drives.  Bates and Kopp both are bad at this.  We overhelp like mad because we are lazy on the 1v1's.  Blown assignments.  No box outs.  Where are the fundamentals?

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Thanks for the further feedback. That just sucks. We're going to need JG, he has a great deal of promise and it's disconcerting that he'd still be as lost as  you describe. He's had games where he's played very well, but can't find consistency.

Very true. He has a ton of promise. Either him or Malik have to step up. It's a must. At very least, now we'll be able to see if extended minutes will help build confidence and consistency. I'm skeptical this is the case, but some players don't do well being yanked after every mistake they make. Now both will naturally have a longer leash to play through it. We'll see.

12 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

We have, clearly, a top 25 defense, but we're missing X, just as clearly a key part of that, and now Race. That hurts.

Top 25 defense when healthy, sure. Now? No way with XJ out, TJD with lingering health issues, and now Race is injured. They gave up 91 points and let Iowa shoot almost 48%. That's not a top 25 defensive effort.

It's also just a matter of time before JHS starts having back spasms òr Galloway gets injured again. 

35 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I just saw that.  Kind of impressive in a wtf kind of way.

-18 in 18 minutes in a 2 point loss, so we were +20 in the 22 minutes he sat on the bench. Yikes. He looks more lost than ever out there right now.

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This trajectory on the season and to some extent, this trajectory on the coach's tenure feel all too familiar.   

I need to be more of a one game at a time type of fan, but the forward projection of this experiment is starting to feel predictable.  

I mean we might even get top end talent in 2024 and 2025 but that's not the end all be all.  Look at Duke and UK this season.  Talent off the charts.  

I don't know the answers.  Keep grinding, recruit some mentally tough as hell kids, and hope for the best, I guess.  

#demoralized 

Can we add some kids that just know how to play the game?

7 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Very true. He has a ton of promise. Either him or Malik have to step up. It's a must. At very least, now we'll be able to see if extended minutes will help build confidence and consistency. I'm skeptical this is the case, but some players don't do well being yanked after every mistake they make. Now both will naturally have a longer leash to play through it. We'll see.

At some point we need the promise to come through in his performance. The guy’s halfway through his junior year and gets lost like a freshman on the court. At some point you have to wonder if he just is what he is.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

-18 in 18 minutes in a 2 point loss, so we were +20 in the 22 minutes he sat on the bench. Yikes. He looks more lost than ever out there right now.

Some will get their wish, he'll definitely be getting more minutes now.  By necessity not merit.

12 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

We've been hearing about that promise based purely on his athleticism for 3 years now. He's not VO and hasn't developed into a good player. It seems for every good play he makes he offsets that with 2-3 bad plays. 

We looked best last night in the second half with TJD and 4 perimeter players.  With Race going down I like that lineup depending on matchups of course.  Malik is struggling so much and I think those waiting on Geronimo is going to be waiting awhile.

Play Duncomb.  TJD can’t play the minutes he played last night while injured.  Logan has played well in limited minutes against bad competition but he’s earned a run to see what he can do.  Gunn needs to play as well.

Not sure on the coaching decisions last night.  Really didn’t like the JHS drive.  We needed more action.  If their is one guy on this team I want to see taking a shot to win a game it’s Bates.  He’s our alpha.

The officiating continues to just be bad.  They are scared of The Franimal.  I am too for that matter.  The Geronimo technical.  Bad call on the JHS foul.  It’s just awful and embarrassing officiating.