Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Next Season’s Expectations

We have a pretty good sense of what our team will look like next year. Barring any unforeseen changes, we have 12 of the 13 spots filled. What do people think should be our expectations?

I have three expectations: (1) win 20 games, (2) finish in the top half of the conference, and (3) make the tournament. 

I think these are realistic expectations for Coach Woodson’s first season, and I think these are also fair expectations to have of Coach Woodson. He’s put together a very solid team. He kept Trayce and upgraded our guard rotation in a big way. I see no reason why we shouldn’t be a tournament team next year. As bad as last year was, we were solidly in the tournament until the late season collapse. 

2 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

Finish season ranked...

I see this team as possibly starting slow, but really picking up steam as the season progresses. CMW has definitely upgraded the talent a bit (short of the need for another big body, Dammit Brunk). I hope that a lot of fan's expectations aren't too high at the start of the season. A lot of new pieces and a presumably new offensive and defensive system for all players to adapt to. 

I'd like to think that this team will look hugely different in March than they will in November. 

I think that middle-of-the-pack Big Ten finish and a spot in the NCAA tournament would be a good first year for Woody.

I'm skeptical of 20 wins, not because it can't happen, I just don't think we come out of the gate as dominant as we'll be later in the season. So...I'm thinking we're in the finals in the BTT, Top 4-5 in the conf, 5 or higher seed in the tourney. 

After that it's all gravy.

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

I'm skeptical of 20 wins, not because it can't happen, I just don't think we come out of the gate as dominant as we'll be later in the season. So...I'm thinking we're in the finals in the BTT, Top 4-5 in the conf, 5 or higher seed in the tourney. 

After that it's all gravy.

They don't have to come out dominant. I think (hope) that they'll play plenty of cupcakes in the non-conference play. I hope they don't do that every year but next season I think it could be very beneficial with a bunch of new players, new system, and a coach new to the college game.

Tangibles:

Better shooting across the board (can it actually get worse?)

Top half finish in conference and defend the Hall.

Back in the dadgum NCAA Tournament.

Beat. Effing. Purdoo.

Intangibles: 

Team chemistry. Bringing some more obvious #LEO over to the basketball side of things.

Be dawgs - compete every play. Make it obvious this team hates losing. Not the indifferent body language we've seen the last few years.

Floor leadership. Picking each other up.

I am probably way too optimistic but that's the fun of the offseason. I think we're a top 15 team next year. I absolutely love Bates and think he'll be an instant contributor. The learning curve for him should be less than some other recruits since he went to IMG. We finally have talent at every position that fits well together. Our player development should hopefully be a lot better than the last 5 years and I think we'll see a lot of improvement from some of our players that disappointed last year. Bart Torvik has us at 22 right now. 

7 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

These kids never got to benefit from an energized Assembly Hall.

I can picture a packed house for next year's opening game. Woodson is introduced over the PA as the coach and the crowd ROARS!

One of our returning players turns to another one and says "What's that noise?"

-Top 4 B1G

-Final Four B1G tournament 

-3-6 seed tournament

-NATTY (just kidding).... win a game or two in the tournament.

-We are returning one of the 2 best frontcourt players in the nation and our backcourt got exponentially better. The only question at this point, is can CMW put a winning product on the floor. So far he’s aced every test. 

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Top 6 in the Big Ten

10-14 conference wins

20+ wins overall

4-8 seed in the NCAA Tourney

TJD B1G POY

TJD Karl Malone Award winner

You want fries with that as well?   lol

Any 5 of those would be incredible achievements after what we've endured far too long.