Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Justin Smith Declares

No reason not to. I hope the best for him. 

Justin (and Al) have likely entered that rare position of being four-year players for us. In my opinion, they’ve earned our support because of it. They’ll both still have some down moments this year, just as they have in the past. But at this point they deserve maybe a higher level of gratitude from the fan base. I felt the same about DeRon and Devonte last year. To come this far, they’ve been through a lot with this team and program. I’d prefer at this point not to focus on any of their low points and instead appreciate that they’ve stuck with it for their entire eligibility. 

I’m no scout but it doesn’t take much insight to know that Justin hasn’t yet shown that he can produce at an NBA level.  If he can demonstrate some 3pt range, nose for the ball, nose for being in the right place to take a pass, make the pass that creates a higher percentage shot, and maybe assert himself a bit more in his senior year, then maybe? Basically become a star. 

Maybe you guys remember Carlisle talking about demonstrating you have an NBA skill. The comments were made in reference to Yogi in that awesome 4 game breakout he had. Yogi has limitations (mostly height), so for him to see a roster he needed to demonstrate that he could offer an NBA skill. He did that and has had a decent little NBA run. 

What NBA skill can Justin demonstrate? Defense helps, but he’s not an OG level defender. He won’t be a star. Maybe he can demonstrate he complements TJD out there? I really don’t know. 

Hope he gets the information needed that allows him to make the best decision for him.

I will say if he does decide to leave it opens up minutes for Jerome and Race which is not a bad thing at all. If he comes back I hope he has a strong senior season and accepts a role that best suits the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Realistically, I wonder what he expects to learn from this process? He really hasn't even proven he's good enough for the Big Ten, let alone the NBA. What does he need to get better at? How about everything. He's a phenomenal athlete, but just doesn't seem to be a very good basketball player. 

Can't tell you how many times I've seen him make a nice move to the bucket, only to miss (mostly short-arm) an easy 8-footer. Or brick a wide-open 3. And if you believe one of the few people on this board who really does seem to have inside info -- he's been an absolute cancer to the team. 

I'm really surprised he hasn't entered the transfer portal -- especially because it seems as if he's clashed with Archie so much. Maybe if he wants to make a few bucks right away, he can go to Europe or South America, but no NBA team will draft him -- or even sign him to a free-agent deal. He just isn't good enough. 

He’s also a great student who may have a degree. 
If so, and if he’s reached his potential as a player, then what?

I don’t think he’s reached his potential by any means or really gotten close. He might just need some different motivation though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hopefully the take away will be that he now knows definitively how much work he has left to do. No one is going to tell him what he wants to hear, if he can even garner a response from anyone in the NBA (of which, that silence should be deafening) and it lights a fire for him to get to work with a better attitude next season. 

No major opinion here. He’s frustrating to me. By Most accounts he’s a good, smart kid. He hasn’t been great for us. Things just haven’t clicked.

I understand life long dreams of playing in the NBA. I understand being so close you can taste it (high level D1). I know he can make money playing professionally.

I have no judgment, just hope he continues to get better. It seems the sky can be the limit IF things start clicking.

No major opinion here. He’s frustrating to me. By Most accounts he’s a good, smart kid. He hasn’t been great for us. Things just haven’t clicked.

I understand life long dreams of playing in the NBA. I understand being so close you can taste it (high level D1). I know he can make money playing professionally.

I have no judgment, just hope he continues to get better. It seems the sky can be the limit IF things start clicking.

He has the tools to be Gerami Grant. It just hasn’t clicked for him but that’s really what we need him to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app