Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

Could we actually be better without Morgan next year?? He was not a great leader, didnt give 100% all the time and kinda picked when he wanted to play. This team kinda took on his personality. We need a consistent leader to step forward.

Morgan’s senior night speech was quite open and honest. He’s been one heck of a fighter battling through his shoulder injury and becoming a scorer in the post. I think this season was a perfect storm or injuries and “I’ll do me” attitude.

We shouldn’t need a coach to get other players in line. Healthy and upper tier programs have leaders that get their peers to play for each other. This is something Archie has to figure out moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Right now I'm pretty negative. In August I felt great about IU athletics- had 3 young, energetic coaches in the major sports- a decent chance at a bowl, high expectations for basketball and an exciting future in baseball. Now....IU football did what it does best and January and February were basketball purgatory with no objective expectation for improvement in the immediate future.  A non-power conf, #6 seed in the FREAKING NIT just came into SSAH and totally controlled a game from start to finish. Worst of all, most of us aren't even surprised. Obviously I had unrealistic expectations for this season. I don't for next year. Lower half B1G finish and no NCAA's unless something extraordinary happens with the roster. Archie wasn't my first (or second) choice to replace Crean, but I bought in and expected much more than I've seen. He has a lot to prove. If next season goes like the first two, he deserves to be coaching for his job in year 4. 
Unless someone is a constant glass half full guy I do not see how anyone would pick us in the top half of the conference next year. We have no shooters right now and lose a ton of points. Archie will get four years but recruiting will go dead if next year stinks. It really is make or break for him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

This is Archie's team now. It's on him. Don't like the players? It's his job to get new ones- but he's used up all the goodwill I have for him.  That is NOT a call for his job, btw- but I think he deserves pressure. He has under-performed.  

He got a class of his guys and only one (Rob) even met expectation. Romeo is a great talent, but looks pretty one-dimensional right now.  Bad luck with Jerome, but who else has improved under his watch? Durham & Juwan. But certainly Not Moore, Smith, Anderson, or anyone else. 

It's easy to be critical when things go poorly, but he is the head coach, ultimately EVERYTHING in program is on him. Everything and the scorecard is W-L. Can anyone say that Indiana is a better basketball team after two years of Archie? Specific aspects are:TO's and defense are improved, but poor IQ, lulls in effort, lack of toughness.....Sheesh, this really sucks.  

Much of what you say I agree with. The only part I would somewhat disagree with is your first sentence. I'm not sure it's "his team" yet but it's quickly getting there. I feel that by the end of next year we should have a pretty clear picture of the direction the program is headed. He'll have two recruiting classes in and a third on the way. If there are not signs that the program is headed up I think Archie is in trouble. In other words, the next 12 months are put up or shut up time for Archie. 

I think this team just carried a bad makeup for a large part of the year. They never really carried a lead.. always behind or leaving teams in striking distance most of the time. I personally feel Romeo made no one better around him and shut our offense down. Green running Rogue at times instead of working angles to always get the ball to a nearly unstoppable Juwan. I see no leadership outside of Durham on this team. Phinisee almost seems like he's in a concussion fuzz again. I really just want to hit reset and leave this season in the past. 

I want Al to be a total dog next year and Phinisee to take over from here out.

I really dislike being pessimistic, but I can't help but feel like a downer when I think of next year.  I honestly don't see much improvement unless we land some more recruits or impact grad transfers.

My gun-to-the-head prediction for next year's starting lineup is:

Phinisee
Green
Smith/Durham
TJD
Davis

That starting lineup will be good enough for maybe 5th in the B1G.

I’m toying with the idea of just walking away from IU. Been a fan all my life since I was old enough to know what IU was. 53 years old and I’m flat out tired of watching this school trying to get “rebuilding” right for the last 20 years. If they can’t get it by now, chances are they’re not gonna get it right. Grows real old the longer this goat roping goes on. 

Miller hasn’t convinced me that he knows how to manage a team. Glass hasn’t convinced me that he knows the right type of coach to plug in here. Told my wife that tonight I felt like I was watching the varsity coach school the JV coach. 

Frankly, the Langford experiment shouldn’t have ever been. I’ll leave it at that. Too many rose colored glasses couldn’t see the reality sitting before them. They couldn’t look at high school and see the blatant disparity that was smacking anybody who watches and knows basketball right in the face. Langford was what he was because he went against severely inferior talent night after night, and his coach made sure he got his requisite points night after night. While there may be athleticism, you see the glaring gap after the B1G carved him up game after game.

I’d rather see Miller go after the best in the state that intend on staying 4 years. I will go to my grave thinking that the real problem with this team wasn’t related to injuries, but to chemistry, and BAD chemistry at that. No more 1 and dones, it just isn’t worth it. Build a stable program and forget bringing in the lone rangers that demand all the attention and can’t mesh with anybody.

OK. I guess I’m done now. Give me baseball season.

I really dislike being pessimistic, but I can't help but feel like a downer when I think of next year.  I honestly don't see much improvement unless we land some more recruits or impact grad transfers.
My gun-to-the-head prediction for next year's starting lineup is:

Phinisee
Green
Smith/Durham
TJD
Davis
That starting lineup will be good enough for maybe 5th in the B1G.
5th? Boy I do not see 5th. Most big ten teams return alot next year. I just do not see right now how we finish in the top half. Call me pessimisstic I guess.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The off-season the last 2-3 years have been the highlight of IUBB year. Filled with hope and dreams only to be dampened when the season plays out.

The Romeo experiment kinda took that away for me too a little.

I’m not sure what our off season has to look like to make me confident we can be a great team. A good team? Sure. We aren’t too far from that now. But we want IUBB to be great.

Matthew Hurt is the type of freshman you need to get if you want to rely on freshman. Even then they need help.

I’m worried about TJD as a Freshman. Don’t get wrong. Super glad he’s a Hoosier. But he doesn’t seem like a banger. The B1G is likely to eat him alive as a freshman.

No one really jumps out at me in our supporting cast. No one I’m that excited about sans Jerome.

Phinisee is probably the guy I’m most interested in seeing if he can make a big leap.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Juwan Morgan was a great power forward forced to play 5..that was the fault of the coach, recruiting, and injuries

Juwan played hard, played his guts out for 4 years...he did not have enough help..many times he was our main offense.

He will be sorely missed and fondly remembered, sincerely thanked.

I disagree with piling on Romeo. Yeah, he made mistakes but he also was very good. Does he have room to improve his shooting and defense? Absolutely.

The team was very flawed. Donut in the middle. Deron can’t jump or rebound and forced Juwan to play center far too often. Fitzner was unable to shoot consistently and struggled on defense. Smith was hot and cold, either good or not so much. Phinisee had his good moments but his concussion hurt when he was gone. He has a chance to be good, needs to get stronger and has to be a better distributor off the drive. Green and Durham improved. Both need to shore up ball handling and shooting.

Anderson, Thompson, Moore, Forrester- not much playing time between the 4. I’m hopeful Forrester stays. I think he just needs strength and he can help inside rebound, block shots, and be a guy who plays above the rim.

TJD and Franklin both have skills to help but IU needs to add another PG and center (rebounder / shot blocker. Hopefully Archie can close this recruiting class out strong and he can get a healthy Jerome Hunter back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners