Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

Yea that sounds about right. I don’t see much difference between this year and next. NW, Rutgers will still suck. Minnesota might take a step back. MSU, UM and Ohio State will be good. Nebraska could be good. Purdue could be good. Indiana seems to be the only team staying where they are.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
Illinois will be good as well and i dont think iowa loses anybody? I would certainly put those teams ahead of IU as well.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

First 6 minutes of the podcast are about Archie and the next 2 1/2 minutes about Devonte.   At 8 1/2 minutes it's about TJD and Armaan.   Turn it off after this cause he starts talking about PUke. 

http://kentsterling.com/2019/03/27/harry-asks-me-5-questions-the-1st-is-whether-archie-is-the-right-guy-for-iu-what-do-you-think-iubb/

1 hour ago, InArchWeTrust said:

I'm not interested in turning this into a Dan Dakich thread but ... below isn't exactly the record of a coach who had it all figured out.  

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Bowling Green (Mid-American Conference) (1997–2007)
1997–98 Bowling Green 10–16 7–11 8th  
1998–99 Bowling Green 18–10 12–6 4th  
1999–00 Bowling Green 22–8 14–4 1st NIT First Round
2000–01 Bowling Green 15–14 10–8 7th  
2001–02 Bowling Green 24–9 12–6 3rd NIT First Round
2002–03 Bowling Green 13–16 8–10 9th  
2003–04 Bowling Green 14–17 8–10 7th  
2004–05 Bowling Green 18–11 10–8 8th  
2005–06 Bowling Green 9–21 5–13 10th  
2006–07 Bowling Green 13–18 3–13 12th  
Bowling Green: 156–140 89–89

Well, well ... I didn’t realize he was such a 1st round NIT expert! I would listen to his dribble with slightly different ears had I known.

59 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

yea, just look at those last two years in conference, 8 total wins in two years. somebody lost their grip on the program me thinks.

He likes to blame injuries (I believe at least his last 3 years he claims he lost his 2 best players each year to injury), yet it’s ironic that he doesn’t give Archie any leeway due to that this year.  

All you need to know about DD is wrapped up in something he said today (yes I listen when in the car, not a fan, but I listen as much for the laughs).  He was asked to name 5 former IU players that could turn around the IU program, he named himself 2nd behind Alford.  Any normal person without an axe to grind doesn’t mention himself in that answer.  

Neutral look at if we improved this year from last:

KenPom ratings:

2017-8:  

overall end of the season rating:  

offense:  #92

defense:  #65

overall:  #71

2018-9:

offense:  #78

defense:  #30

overall: #50

Now obviously we have big losses in Juwan and most certainly Romeo to contend with.  However, the defensive improvement since Miller has taken over has been very noteworthy and I would say that is something that Romeo was not a big part of...and I would say that was the weaker part of Juwan's game as well as he was a better offensive than defensive player.  Personally, my thought is that being healthy and bringing in TJD cancels out the loss of Morgan and Langford.

When Archie took over, the team was ranked 104th defensively.  That improved 39 spots his first year and 35 this year.  Obviously you can't see that kind of improvement forever (he's not going to ranked -5th next year, LOL) but as the system gets in place, you can expect the improvement to be maintained.  

Teams that nearly match our current 30/78 ratings are Ohio State (25/79) and Penn State (26/74).  Basically, the difference in Ohio State/Indiana/Penn State is how well they finished in close games.  Indiana was 8-7 in games decided by 5 or less or went OT;  Ohio State was 5-2; Penn State was 2-9.  In the other games -- games decided by 5 or more points -- they were all basically the same team (IU was 11-9, Ohio State was 15-13, Penn State was 12-9).  Yes, two of those losses IU had were to OSU and Holtmann.  But I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater based on those two.

If we assume the rate of improvement in offense and defense continues into year 3 that we had from years 1 and 2, I would expect an offense somewhere in the 60s and defense around 20s.  If we look at teams with rankings near those spots this year, the four teams that match up the best with those rankings are:

Oregon (15/72)

Oklahoma (23/59)

Syracuse (25/60)

Florida (14/63)

All four of those teams were tournament teams (seeds of 12, 9, 8, and 10).  Oregon is interesting because they earned the bid by winning the PAC 12 championship but considering they've now won four straight games (Arizona St, Washington, Wisconsin, and Cal-Irvine) by 67 points against teams that were in the NCAA tournament, I think they showed they belong.

So my expectation next year is that we look to come into the season on the right side of the bubble.

15 minutes ago, A.j. Nigh said:

He likes to blame injuries (I believe at least his last 3 years he claims he lost his 2 best players each year to injury), yet it’s ironic that he doesn’t give Archie any leeway due to that this year.  

All you need to know about DD is wrapped up in something he said today (yes I listen when in the car, not a fan, but I listen as much for the laughs).  He was asked to name 5 former IU players that could turn around the IU program, he named himself 2nd behind Alford.  Any normal person without an axe to grind doesn’t mention himself in that answer.  

Hey Dan, UCLA says hi.

9 minutes ago, A.j. Nigh said:

He was asked to name 5 former IU players that could turn around the IU program, he named himself 2nd behind Alford.  Any normal person without an axe to grind doesn’t mention himself in that answer.  

And NOW we know the RRRREST of the story!         Good day!

19 minutes ago, A.j. Nigh said:

If you had done a U-turn, you would have turned around more than Dakich ever could.

It begins and ends with CULTURE. O$U doesn’t have to go through a rebuild because their culture was there before Holtmann. Ditto for UL and other programs. Why, at the end of the season, do we question their heart and effort?! Culture!!!

There are so many cliches for this stuff.

Hard work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard. (Or adapt and take on a new role)

Johnny Dawkins had a locker room full of players filling buckets with tears because THEY FREAKING CARED! We have players that aren’t upset because now they can put it on cruise control.

Archie didn’t forget how to coach. He took teams with lesser talent further. If you couldn’t see how pissed he was throughout the year you were drinking at Nips level.

I couldn’t care less about star rating over the next 2-3 years. Give me a Race Thompson or Aljahmi Durham that’s going to work. Give me Joey Brunk that can help with locker room issues.

Far too often, we had one or two players trying to lift the half ton rock by themselves while the rest of the team wasn’t interested. We need a full team pushing in the right direction.

You could see through body language, effort, and interactions who gave a damn and who didn’t. Those kids that don’t need to move along to a better fit. This program won’t get anywhere near its potential until hard work and effort in EVERYTHING they do is the baseline.

This program is better than letting kids run the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Tell it like it is!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Yes he is very good but I was commenting on someone saying he was light years ahead of Archie. This is his 12th season at WSU, took him 5 years to get them to the NCAA and of course, they missed this year. 
Point noted

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ebridges24 said:

unless you're Duke or Kentucky, you need 3 guys that can be a legit threat from 3 and we have none

I would say Green qualifies as one. 41% last year and 40% for his career.  Have to remember he started the year 1 of his first 12 and shot 45% from three from that point on.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

You don’t go 1-12 with the talent we have unless there were chemistry issues. You just don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes, there were chemistry issues.  I just think (and thought before the year started) that the estimation of the 'talent we have' was way overstated.  Al Durham -- God love him -- was a starter (deservedly so) on this team.  Our starting point guard was a freshman who wasn't a top 100 recruit.  Juwan Morgan -- love him to death --might never play a minute in the NBA.  I think this team had four guys on it that were top 100 recruits out of high school:  Hunter, Smith, Langford, Davis.  One didn't play a minute and another had limited minutes coming back from an ACL.  

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It doesn’t make it right or OK, but we were some BS HORSE shots from being like 21-11 and having a relatively happy fanbase, or some entitlement issues away from maybe even being about 24-8 and possibly still playing. (If if’s and but’s blah blah, I know)

For all of our on-court flaws, there was some flukey shizz that tanked this season as much as anything in my opinion. 

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea if my math is right, I just started typing. 

I just accessed the Purdooo interweb datatechsite-omatic, and your math is EXACTLY CORRECT!

Especially about the 'flukey shizz'.