Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PF Race Thompson to IU

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It is a good story, with good insight into Race and Woody’s player development approach to coaching— something we’ve been missing for a while

21 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good article.

I do have one nagging concern and that is, in cases like RT, while it is great that all players have multiple dimensions to their game (i.e. 3-pt shooting) - not all of them will be capable of hitting in game situations.  Making that determination could be a bit painful.

It's essential that CMW recruit & evaluate capable shooters (HS and transfers) if that is what his system will require.  Our returning players haven't shown that they are good shooters so if they can't develop that talent, we might still have some struggles.  Hopefully they put my concern to rest.

1 hour ago, pumpfake said:

Good article.

I do have one nagging concern and that is, in cases like RT, while it is great that all players have multiple dimensions to their game (i.e. 3-pt shooting) - not all of them will be capable of hitting in game situations.  Making that determination could be a bit painful.

It's essential that CMW recruit & evaluate capable shooters (HS and transfers) if that is what his system will require.  Our returning players haven't shown that they are good shooters so if they can't develop that talent, we might still have some struggles.  Hopefully they put my concern to rest.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/152
Not overly worried about Race, or Trayce for that matter, suddenly jacking up 6 3’s a game. But even if he did I don’t think I’d be that bothered by it. The difference between a capable 3pt shooting team and a bad 1 is really small. IU was #240 in the country last year and shot 32.3% on low volume. Ugh. Alabama, and we would all have loved to shoot it like that team, right, was #109 in the country and shot 35.2% on insane volume within a system that created and encouraged them. So, Bama only made 1 more 3 than IU for every 33 attempts. But it didn’t feel that way because they took a million of them. Iowa was top 10 in the country and shot 38%. That’s 1 more make every 16 attempts to be a great 3pt shooting team. If Woody’s system creates more clean looks than Archie’s, a fair assumption, and, more importantly, he’s able to get kids to just instinctively step into clean looks, I don’t remember  Race just stepping into a single 1 last year, I fully expect this team to shoot a good bit better, even if the kids aren’t significantly better shooters, individually. That being said, Stewart and Kopp and Bates better be taking more 3’s than Race or Durr or something’s wrong, 

If Race takes one 3pter every two games he’ll stay in the 20’s .

If he takes one or two a game he’ll be in the 30s— His stroke is fine.

Also, coming at the rim from a four out is a nice way to offensive rebound a missed three. Just ask that Serbian team we played.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

If Race takes one 3pter every two games he’ll stay in the 20’s .

If he takes one or two a game he’ll be in the 30s— His stroke is fine.

Also, coming at the rim from a four out is a nice way to offensive rebound a missed three. Just ask that Serbian team we played.

IIRC he shot close to 40 percent his senior year of hs - i might be remembering a bit high but he was much better than a 30 percent shooter on more shots - agree his stroke is fine, with more shots i think he can shoot better than we’re expecting 

8 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Good article.

Race did shoot well from outside in high school.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:38 PM, HoosierHoopster said:

IIRC he shot close to 40 percent his senior year of hs - i might be remembering a bit high but he was much better than a 30 percent shooter on more shots - agree his stroke is fine, with more shots i think he can shoot better than we’re expecting 

Seems like it was closer to 42%

I just read the article. It was 42.1 on 78 attempts his senior year.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:19 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I know there’s not any intention there, but I don’t love the way he talks about the other coaches in the article. If I’m an assistant coach, I wouldn’t want my discussions of a player’s weaknesses to be put on blast.

15 hours ago, HoosierX said:

I know there’s not any intention there, but I don’t love the way he talks about the other coaches in the article. If I’m an assistant coach, I wouldn’t want my discussions of a player’s weaknesses to be put on blast.

When I first heard that quote several weeks ago I thought he was referring to the outgoing coaches, but lately writers seem to infer it was among the current assistants. So I'm not sure.

Race's stats for his 3-games in the Portsmouth Invitational.  

Pts FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Ast TO Stl Blk Min
7 3 5 0 2 1 3 6 1 0 1 1 20
6 3 10 0 2 0 0 8 0 1 1 1 27
10 4 7 0 3 2 4 9 2 3 0 0 22

7.7 45%   0%   43%   7.7 1.0 1.3 0.7 0.7  

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Race's stats for his 3-games in the Portsmouth Invitational.  

Pts FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Ast TO Stl Blk Min
7 3 5 0 2 1 3 6 1 0 1 1 20
6 3 10 0 2 0 0 8 0 1 1 1 27
10 4 7 0 3 2 4 9 2 3 0 0 22

7.7 45%   0%   43%   7.7 1.0 1.3 0.7 0.7  

0-7 from 3 which has all too often been the case for him.  Otherwise seems like solid performances.  He can make money playing pro ball for while. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

0-7 from 3 which has all too often been the case for him.  Otherwise seems like solid performances.  He can make money playing pro ball for while. 

Yeah, I was going to say his 3-pt and FT woes don't appear to have improved, but his 2-pt % and rebounding continue to be strong.

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Per Scot Agness, Race is working out for the Washington Wizards today.

Race gave his all to IU and I'm glad he will always be a Hoosier. 

That said, I feel as though Woodson being able to get guys like Race Thompson NBA workouts, is another stepping stone on the way to really elevating this program.