Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

ok I’ll take this one on just to be a contrarian bc I don’t necessarily disagree with you. 

Not to be that guy but if you took a 100 3pt shots and made 33% that’s 99 points. If you took 100 2’s and made 50% that’s 100 points. So 3*33 = 2*50% is not correct. It’s actually less than.  

Again not trying to be a jerk but the magic number is 34% from 3 is better than 50% from 2. But when you have a quality post like TJD or and Edey shooting 58%/62% from 2 then to value the 3 point line a shooter would need to shoot 38.6% and 41.3% from 3 respectively. 

Malik Reneau shot 55.8% from 2, meaning an IU shooter needs to shoot it 37.2% from 3 to break even. Mgbako could do that but not until he got comfortable. There wasn’t anyone else on the roster who could shoot it well enough, outside of Mgbako and Wade, to forgo giving it to Reneau for a 2 pt attempt. Ware shot even better at 59.9% from 2, meaning a 3pt shooter needed to shoot it at 39.9% to break even. Ware shot it from 3 well and should have shot it more and that should definitely be a criticism. 

So from an analytic perspective shooting more 3’s as a team wasn’t the correct answer and I didn’t believe it was during the season. Having the right guys shoot them was the correct answer but it was aware and Mgbako, then X when healthy but he was up and down do to being hurt. 

Well you are that guy, lol.  34% = 102 points so they are still not equal.  It will be closer to a 100 at 33%; however, the closest without extending your decimal places out more places is 33.4%.  33.4% is closer to 33% than 34%, just saying!  Lol

10 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Well you are that guy, lol.  34% = 102 points so they are still not equal.  It will be closer to a 100 at 33%; however, the closest without extending your decimal places out more places is 33.4%.  33.4% is closer to 33% than 34%, just saying!  Lol

lol. I said 34% from 3 is better than 50% from 2. I had to go back and double check it. Haha. I remember taking an essay test in college and I used a statistic and I worded it wrong. I had the stat right but the way I worded everything made me look like an idiot. The professor literally used it as an example without telling the class who did it. I was like what idiot does that. Then it was my paper. Oops. Haha. 

In the last 9 games of the season Rice went 0-22 from 3pt. 

Did we really need a bad 3pt shooter added to a team that was terrible at shooting the 3? Honestly….its dumbfounding. Where is this hype train for this kid coming from? Bc he avg double figures in the Pac12? The hype on this kid is like a magic trick- there’s no there there. Hoping I’m dead wrong and prove to be just a hater. We get someone like Hickman then I’ll get excited. Hell, even getting the big kid from AZ would be exciting….we do need another good big man for depth. 

Please, Woody please get a real shooter for gods sake. 

Rice / Cupps

Trey / Kanaan

Mack / Tucker

Malik / 

Ballo / 

OUT OF ROTATION: Newton, Leal. 

That would be my rotation once Ballo and Kanaan commit. Still no shooting and I question the perimeter defense as well. Interior defense will be fine, even when Malik goes into his typical foul trouble. 

2 minutes ago, Adillac said:

In the last 9 games of the season Rice went 0-22 from 3pt. 

Did we really need a bad 3pt shooter added to a team that was terrible at shooting the 3? Honestly….its dumbfounding. Where is this hype train for this kid coming from? Bc he avg double figures in the Pac12? The hype on this kid is like a magic trick- there’s no there there. Hoping I’m dead wrong and prove to be just a hater. We get someone like Hickman then I’ll get excited. Hell, even getting the big kid from AZ would be exciting….we do need another good big man for depth. 

Please, Woody please get a real shooter for gods sake. 

Fair point but he is a major upgrade from Cupps and X.  Major. His 3pt shooting was very good before that finish.  Get tired? Who knows but this is a very good second addition to the team. Still plenty of room for shooters