Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

24 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I would push back a little on this and say he hit a freshman wall at the end of the year and had an 0-22 stretch.  I can’t say for sure it was because of a freshman wall but before that in games I watched he looked like a shooter to me.   Freshman to sophomore jump in shooting number rise in most instances.  Tony A had a tweet about this.    Got to see it translate next year but from what I saw before that terrible 9 game stretch makes me think he will put up better numbers 

I agree.  Considering his health issues, hitting a wall should have been expected.  He will probably be a lot stronger with more stamina this next year.

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I don’t have a problem with getting a kid that fills a need via the portal. Let’s do that every year.

My issue is a staff of coaches that don’t/won’t recruit throughout the year then rely on the portal to build a team.

The latter describes the efforts of the current coaching staff. In spades.

I don’t want to speak for people on this board but there were many on this board that spoke of their disappointment pertaining to Woodson’s recruitment style.  I personally don’t like it, it shows a sense of laziness, IMO, but at this point we have no choice.  If we land Carlyle, that will be 2 players that will have 3 years of eligibility left, that’s almost as good as signing them out of high school except now you sort of already know you are getting a productive college player.  Then you can sign a couple other players that fit a need, like Hickman and Ballo

53 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

It’s not about talent, it’s about assembling the right pieces to play together. Woody has always focused on getting talent vs the right pieces thus why we outkicked every BigTen team in terms of recruiting stars* and yet didn’t make the tourney.

unpopular as it may be, Woody is doing it again. As good as Rice is, we are no better shooting the ball than we were before. Add Balo and here we go again.

the formula is to have minimally 3 players on the court that can shoot and we are assembling another team full of people that can’t shoot. We’ve added two talented players and neither make us a better shooting team

Leal/Cupps/Galloway/Johnson combined made 60 3 pointers last year. Will wager $100 to the charity of your choice that Rice hits at least 50. Rice scored more points than Galloway and Cupps combined last year playing in an offense that ranked 322nd in tempo. Galloway and Cupps started 75% of our conference games.

Carlyle + Rice gives us two guards who can SCORE which is the name of the game from all three levels of the court. 

You in?

24 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

27% from 3 is 27% from 3, it’s not good.

maybe he has a big leap from freshmen year to sophomore year, it is possible but a full season from start to finish without cherry-picking says he isn’t a good 3 point shooter.

The two additions to the team are talented no doubt but don’t fill the need all of us have been clamoring for and frustrated about. Crimson colored glasses here for sure.

when do we fill THE VOID?

So does 247 have crimson colored glasses in having him as a top 20 portal pickup?  Did the Pac 12 poll having him as Pac 12 freshman of the year have crimson colored glasses?

I'm certainly not clear how getting a 14 point scoring freshman guard wasn't a need.

28 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

27% from 3 is 27% from 3, it’s not good.

maybe he has a big leap from freshmen year to sophomore year, it is possible but a full season from start to finish without cherry-picking says he isn’t a good 3 point shooter.

The two additions to the team are talented no doubt but don’t fill the need all of us have been clamoring for and frustrated about. Crimson colored glasses here for sure.

when do we fill THE VOID?

28 games shooting 35% is a larger sample size than a 7 game 0-22 shooting slump. Cherry picking….lol

30 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Not sure anyone's used "3 point shooter", "larger volume" and "Woodson's system" in the same sentence. Ever.

Check Mgbako’s conference stats.

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

So does 247 have crimson colored glasses in having him as a top 20 portal pickup?  Did the Pac 12 poll having him as Pac 12 freshman of the year have crimson colored glasses?

I'm certainly not clear how getting a 14 point scoring freshman guard wasn't a need.

WE NEED SHOOTERS

we were one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in all of college basketball - that neeeds to be addressed and neither additions thus far changes that. That’s it, that’s the point. Maybe you think we can win big being one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in college basketball but stats/history says otherwise

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

That is the definition of cherry picking. You looked at a whole season and wiped out his worst performances. Lol

The proverbial freshman wall. Have zero concerns with Rice being able to shoot from the perimeter going forward. If teams want to play off him like they did Cupps and Galloway all last year, more power to them.

I'm a little concerned about his shooting and maybe his health, but he's on the team now, so I wish him the greatest success. Ultimately the only stat I care about is W/L and I think he can help that. I will feel MUCH better if he is playing with an above average to very good shooter in the backcourt though. We know what Trey can do, need someone with a skillset that makes up for his weaknesses, IMO. I don't think Carlyle does that, so hope he finds another home. 

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

WE NEED SHOOTERS

we were one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in all of college basketball - that neeeds to be addressed and neither additions thus far changes that. That’s it, that’s the point. Maybe you think we can win big being one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in college basketball but stats/history says otherwise

We still have 5 spots to fill. We also needed a dynamic PG. I hoped we could get both in one player. First 2/3 of his season he fit that. Definitely need more of that than the last 1/3 but he is a huge upgrade and is young. Remember when some hoops guy said after we lost boogie we could probably get someone similar with experience in the portal. Rice kind of fits that 

In theory, recruiting portal players with more than a single year of eligibility is a good thing but in the current environment every kid on your roster is technically nothing but a 1-year rental.  I hate it but that's what it's become.
That's the issue once they allowed unlimited transfers. Look at kriisa goes from Arizona to West Virginia to the portal again.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

That's the issue once they allowed unlimited transfers. Look at kriisa goes from Arizona to West Virginia to the portal again.

What happened to the 'one free transfer' limitation? I've lost track.

I think (and am hoping) with Trey, Cupps, and X as the primary ball handlers last season, the shooters weren’t put in good spots and the passes were often at the feet or over the head.  If we get a true point guard the numbers can improve across the board with better ball movement.

What happened to the 'one free transfer' limitation? I've lost track.

I guess that only lasted a year or so Now I guess it's every year if you want.  Covid years I am lost.

15 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

I guess that only lasted a year or so Now I guess it's every year if you want.  Covid years I am lost.

It’s a crazy, mixed up system.

At least the Covid year thing goes away after this year. Hopefully the unlimited free agency will someday soon.

It’s a crazy, mixed up system.
At least the Covid year thing goes away after this year. Hopefully the unlimited free agency will someday soon.
Yep. It's really a worse deal for teams with not much money. They can develop a guy only to see him leave cause they can't pay him enough. Minnesota just lost a guy to nebraska cause they could only pay 100k I read. Nebraska paid 200k to get him.I don't think minnesota has much nil money