Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

9 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy87 said:

Agree on Conwell.  I've seen him play in person and I like the "dawg" in him.

I have not got to see him play in person, but he does have something to him for sure.

Just now, Shooter said:

I do not agree at all with that first sentence. I love the Rice addition. For the 2 guard spot,  it's not that complicated -  some people prefer the guy who has already made "the leap", over the guy who hasn''t yet.

It's not an anti-Carlyle sentiment. He is clearly talented, and may very well make that leap next season. But Conwell already made it. He has already shown he's capable of being a key contributor and efficient shooter on volume for a good team. Carlyle has not, yet.

Thank you, you I said it much better than I did.

1 minute ago, Shooter said:

I do not agree at all with that first sentence. I love the Rice addition. For the 2 guard spot,  it's not that complicated -  some people prefer the guy who has already made "the leap", over the guy who hasn''t yet.

It's not an anti-Carlyle sentiment. He is clearly talented, and may very well make that leap next season. But Conwell already made it. He has already shown he's capable of being a key contributor and efficient shooter on volume for a good team. Carlyle has not, yet.

I am whatever on any of them but Conwell has made the Freshman to Sophomore leap successfully already and he is a kid who grew up in Indianapolis.  I know, I know, people don't care where guys are from but all else appearing to be equal or close to equal, give me the homegrown kid.  He is the one least likely to face culture shock or homesickness which can impact play as well.

5 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Yeah you said it better than me lol.

5 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I have not got to see him play in person, but he does have something to him for sure.

Gut feeling ... you will have to watch him play for NC State next year.

7 minutes ago, Shooter said:

The preference makes perfect sense but there’s another factor;

Carlyle has a connection to Ya and Rice and seems to be really excited about the prospect of IU, whereas Conwell may not be as excited.

Even with NIL this isn’t like choosing a tv at Best Buy; the players who have value on the market still largely end up where they feel connected and comfortable. It appears that’s Carlyle.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He didn't really struggle, though. 32-33% as a FR is solid to good, plus, his catch and shoot and spot up #s were well above average for a FR. 

Translation-- play him less on the ball 

I agree about playing him less on the ball. I don’t agree he didn’t struggle, but that’s okay. 

If we are trying to win a game right now I’m going with Conwell over Carlyle.  I think this team has potential next year with some of our other pieces/possibilities and I want Conwell.  Like @Stuhoosaid though we might not be in a position to just choose.  Carlyle has seemed to show legitimate interest and maybe not so much from Conwell I don’t know.  We will find out.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Don't think Cupps and Leal avg 16mins between themselves when it matters. So, take 10 of those mins back and we have plenty. I am not convined Tucker plays 25 either. 

I'm not as optimistic as some of you.  In the game today, I assume all players negotiate dollars and roles. Tucker was a 5-star, one and done player going to the G-league.  Unless money is his only priority, I can't see him coming to a losing team that missed the Tournament without being promised significant minutes or a starting role.  I'm sure that Cupps was told his minutes would be reduced from this year, but I would have to assume he was told 4-5 minutes per half at least.  If not, why would he return?  Leal was a solid contributor defensively during our 5 game win streak.  I have to believe that Leal was offered similar minutes to return as well. 

All this Conwell vs Carlyle talk. Think it more likely we try to get at least three guards. I think the bigger question is whether we try to take four? Who is more likely a stretch four like Humrichous or a backup big?

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Just wanted to add a comment on the bag dropping.

Id recommend the fanbase not villainize the bag dropping from Indiana but instead be happy we can win bag drops now. 

its been going on for eternity in college basketball and for the most part those dropping the biggest bags are winning the most games. 

I can pretty much assure you if we stop dropping bags the fanbase will have a lot more to worry about than we already do.

id recommend embracing it and just leaving it out of the equation. It’s been a part of high level recruiting forever and now it just expands into mid level recruiting as well. 

Be happy we can compete in that for now and cross your fingers the staff uses its salary cap wisely. 

100% - now we just have to compete on the court.

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Not calling you out specifically, but it seems like the consensus of people who want Conwell to be the top priority, are the same people yelling “Rice can’t shoot”.Conwell had a dreadful freshman season (in a lower conference) over either Rice or Carlyle to the point it’s not even a comparison. Conwell made a major freshman to sophomore jump which is typically a natural progression in this sport. Just find it ironic that the people dead set on Conwell dismiss the idea that Carlyle and Rice can’t or won’t improve their 3 point shooting. That’s literally why we’re even talking about Conwell right now; improvement.

It's expected but not guaranteed.  That's the problem.  

4 minutes ago, Jam said:

All this Conwell vs Carlyle talk. Think it more likely we try to get at least three guards. I think the bigger question is whether we try to take four? Who is more likely a stretch four like Humrichous or a backup big?

No chance of that happening.

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

We all want guys who can shoot from deep. But judging a freshman off just his three points percentage, as though that's all he'll ever be, is a mistake. Ryan Conwell shot just 30% from three as a freshman and you wouldn't have wanted him a year ago.

The point of the portal is you can recruit to actual performance and not projection.  With a young Rice, there is no reason not to look at a more seasoned player who is light out from three.  

32 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

He better be playing over 30 min if 1.2 million is what it takes to get him.  Trilly said Ole Miss offered 1 mil and IU upped it to 1.2 

Jesus. Well I suppose I’m not too shocked. Interesting better programs didn’t offer him money like Indiana did. The starting lineup for Indiana next season is looking expensive. Not to mention whatever money it took to land Tucker, who I assume will come off the bench. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

It's expected but not guaranteed.  That's the problem.  

Fair. But with that being said I’m really looking forward to a back court of Rice and Carlyle on the expectation that they grow. Most dynamic back court duo of Woodson’s tenure. One thing for sure, we’ll know after this year if it’s Woodson system or lack of personnel.