Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

52 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Does he have a visit to IU scheduled? I haven't even heard his name mentioned in a while. 

To my knowledge, I haven't heard of him visiting anywhere since Missouri.  I am assuming that either he or other schools are waiting on other player's visits before he takes any others and using Missouri as a fall back.

Galloway is going to start for IU next season; I don't understand why people think Woody is going to start some new transfer guy(s) over Gallo. The only way Woody brings Gallo off the bench is if we land transfer guards or freshmen that are more talented *and* play harder than Gallo and there are only a few players out there that would fit that bill, none of which are being mentioned imo.

Cupps is for sure going to get replaced in the starting lineup, but not Gallo. Woody isn't going to have a starting backcourt of potentially 2 new players and/or a guy who hasn't played ball in 2 years (Newton).   

1 minute ago, Adillac said:

Galloway is going to start for IU next season; I don't understand why people think Woody is going to start some new transfer guy(s) over Gallo. The only way Woody brings Gallo off the bench is if we land transfer guards or freshmen that are more talented *and* play harder than Gallo and there are only a few players out there that would fit that bill, none of which are being mentioned imo.

Cupps is for sure going to get replaced in the starting lineup, but not Gallo. Woody isn't going to have a starting backcourt of potentially 2 new players and/or a guy who hasn't played ball in 2 years (Newton).   

IU is looking for both a starter at the 5 and a starting point guard.  So far we have people claiming both Galloway and Tucker had to have been promised starting spots.  We already know that MM and MR are starting and they are at the 3 and 4.  Math doesn't add up even assuming IU only brings in one backcourt starter.

38 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Open up my MSN page today and see a story speculating on where Robbie Avila might go. Thinking it's a done deal that he's headed to SLU, just for fun -- I click on it.  It includes us, PU, Illinois and Wisconsin -- in addition to SLU. 

It was penned by someone named John Canady of SportsGrid (whatever that is). Anyway, this is what it said about IU's chances ... 

Indiana Hoosiers©Provided by SportsGrid

Mike Woodson has done a great job in Indiana, building a more than competitive roster. With multiple talented prospects set to join the Hoosiers, the team may be on the verge of putting together a historic season. Adding a talent like Robbie Aliva would only help them do that. If the big man were to want to stay in Indiana, perhaps a step up in competition while staying local could be a good selling point.

Let's break this down. 
Mike Woodson has done a great job at Indiana. ... No
Building a more-than-competitive roster ... Depends on what that roster is for. If it's for intramurals, yes. If it's to compete in the upper half of the B1G and get an NCAA bid -- probably not. 
Multiple talented prospects set to join the Hoosiers ... Who are are they? Where are they?
On the verge of a historic season ... Huh? 

Sorta makes you wonder how much research "reporters" from these fringe websites actually do -- and why what they write always has to be taken with a grain of salt. 

They don't do much research at all. 

10 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

IU is looking for both a starter at the 5 and a starting point guard.  So far we have people claiming both Galloway and Tucker had to have been promised starting spots.  We already know that MM and MR are starting and they are at the 3 and 4.  Math doesn't add up even assuming IU only brings in one backcourt starter.

If Woody is dead set on starting MM at the 3 then yes you are right, it can't add up....but I think if he is forced to have MM at the 4 and Tucker at the 3 then Gallo at the 2 and a new PG could work..right? 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah, that is the part that has me worried. He is a starter, but IU wants him to come off the bench because he's not a "rim protector" 

Rice, Conwell, Mgbako, Reneau, Humrichous is a lineup I could get behind. Hopefully, someone talks some sense to some.

I was told that at least 4 NBA teams have already contacted him and more are doing the work on him. 

That’s the same thought I had.  That would be the lineup but it’s hard to see CMW not getting a big starter so I believe IU asking him to come off the bench is probably accurate.

Again, he is not going anywhere to come off the bench.  Have to believe he would have other offers, but I want him.

2 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

That’s the same thought I had.  That would be the lineup but it’s hard to see CMW not getting a big starter so I believe IU asking him to come off the bench is probably accurate.

Again, he is not going anywhere to come off the bench.  Have to believe he would have other offers, but I want him.

He's this years Dalton Knecht to me, just not quite as athletic

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Dreams of Woody changing his two post offense slowly dying. 

I mean it’s been posted everywhere he’s targeting another big, i would love for us to get the best one in the portal. Hes built for the big ten. Getting good guards goes a long way.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Dreams of Woody changing his two post offense slowly dying. 

It might be, but Ballo is also a heck of a college player so I would have no issues adding him to the team if he wanted to come to IU.  Also, he is a terrible free throw shooter so he will fit right in.

Edited by hoosiersoxfan

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He's this years Dalton Knecht to me, just not quite as athletic

The videos of him shooting the ball makes my eyes happy.  I know it was against some weaker competition, but the tape on him shooting the ball doesn’t lie.

The same problem I keep coming back to, not just with him but several others, is can CMW and his staff put these players in a position to take advantage of their skill sets?  Rice and a Ballo type probably.  A shooter as skilled as Humrichous, I have my doubts.

Welcome the possibility of more bigs visiting. Going into the season with foul prone Malik is a bigger glaring whole than last years guards.

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

You didn't actually expect him to, did you? At least Ballo is a good big, just bad for spacing.

Me…not really. But a lot of people have posted lots of lineups with that type of speculation.  

I’m pretty much in the  camp of 1 of Galloway/Tucker will start plus a 2nd big, meaning we really only have one spot open: dynamic playmaking PG-type. Hopefully Rice is that guy.  

We can add depth but realistically the starting 5 will eat up the bulk of the minutes and determine our fate.