Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

32 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

This isn't the bash Mike Woodson thread. If you want to do that, take it to the appropriate place. Writing off Gabe Cupps after a single year after being thrusted into a role he wasn't ready for is just silly. 

So pointing out the mistakes a coach has made in the past and worrying he will make the same mistakes over because we know how stubborn he is is now called bashing? Wow I can only imagine the free passes you give out in life

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So pointing out the mistakes a coach has made in the past and worrying he will make the same mistakes over because we know how stubborn he is is now called bashing? Wow I can only imagine the free passes you give out in life

Saying that Mike Woodson has no intention of using or developing Gabe Cupps because X, X, and X happened in the past is in fact bashing. Nobody on here has any clue how or what Gabe Cupps will look like next year. From my experiences, the best thing about freshman is that they always become sophomores. 

1 minute ago, IndyHoops said:

Those are NBA level kids. Again…like Tucker, that’s what Woodson was after. And I and not bashing him, just the facts. It’s completely fine to have that strategy with NIL and the portal.

How many Indiana high school kids is he after? Or 3 star kids? Low 4 star kids? Ya know, the kids Painter brings in every year. 

So we offered 32 kids and they are all going to the NBA?
Woody must have an amazing eye for talent.

In his first two seasons “One and Done/NBA Woody” signed JHS, MR, Banks, Gunn, MM, Newton and Cupps. MM was considered one and done by many, JHS by some while the other 5 were not. 
And when we do bring in a 4 year guy like Cupps , if he is not a star halfway through his freshman season half the fan base wants to dump him.

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Saying that Mike Woodson has no intention of using or developing Gabe Cupps because X, X, and X happened in the past is in fact bashing. Nobody on here has any clue how or what Gabe Cupps will look like next year. From my experiences, the best thing about freshman is that they always become sophomores. 

On a good Big Ten team he should be 9th or 10th man. I don't think that is a stretch.

2 hours ago, AH1971 said:

I think we're prioritizing 12 guys for 6 spots but have reached out too much more

Realistically, IU needs four transfers. Six is the max they can take. IU needs:

-2 starting guards

-a defensive 5 who can play 25 mpg whether it be starting or coming off the bench

-a shooting guard/wing

-possibly a backup 4/5

We currently have 7 scholarship players, hardly anybody plays an 11 man rotation and absolutely nobody plays 13 guys.

As far as landing two starting guards, I feel confident where we stand with Myles Rice and then between Perkins, Carlyle, Conwell I think there's your second.

I'm confident that we get one of Payne or Williams for your 25 mpg 5.

Hickman and Malone from NAIA fill the 4th and 5th transfer spots. 

Should be noted that guys are still entering the portal in droves. Up to almost 1500 entries with still 23 days left to go.

Good breakdown!  Thanks for putting it out there!

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

On a good Big Ten team he should be 9th or 10th man. I don't think that is a stretch.

I agree with that as our greatest need now, which is the exact same need we had this time last year, is to upgrade the perimeter. I really like both Gallo and Cupps but ideally they would be our 6th and 9th guys.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Agree that he would be a 9th man type player. Those guys typically avg around 10 mpg which is what I said I believed Cupps would play next year.

2 hours ago, 68Hoosier said:

If you had to put names to each spot what is a homerun offseason.  

-2 starting guards (??)

-a defensive 5 who can play 25 mpg whether it be starting or coming off the bench  (Payne or Williams)

-a shooting guard/wing (Would this be Tucker or someone in addition to him)

-possibly a backup 4/5 (??)

Give me Rice at the point, Conwell or Cade Tyson (Belmont 45.4% from 3 and averaged 16.2 ppg) at the 2.

PG - Rice (Portal)

SG - Conwell or Tyson (Portal)

SF - Mgbako and Tucker (5 star recruit)

PF - Reneau

C - Payne and/or Williams (Portal)

Bench: Galloway, Cupps, Leal, Humrichous (portal) and the D-2 player of year

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is not the thread.  This thread is for discussing IU portal targets not the current roster or former players.  

55 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Not to be forgotten, Cupps is a coach's kid.  I can see him developing into a more skilled Leal... being able to get other guys in the right place, coach on the floor type. He also came across as a hard nosed guy.

Every team needs a player like Cupps. Someone who other players respect and listen to. Obviously, as a freshman he hadn't earned his stripes yet. I fully believe Gabe will grow into this kind of role, and we'll be happy he's a Hoosier.

I see him as a pesky Aaron Craft type next year thru his senior year

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

That's on him

He had a child and his kid and family were from the Mizzou area. Wasn’t that the big reason for him leaving IU.  I think that is what they said.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I wasn’t talking about evaluation from a talent standpoint but rather an attitude/chemistry fit — things that don’t necessarily show up on film.  Some players those are knowns, but guys like Tre White who seems to be a talented player who hasn’t seem to make his team better and will be on his team next year is a guy I would want to have some time with before getting him.  Depends on the player.

I would think the staff would take it into account if a player has a history of transfers and whether or not he made his teams better. Don't get me wrong, fit is important, and it's definitely preferable to get a guy in and meet with him, but we are absolutely terrible right now, we just came off a horrendous season, we need to upgrade our talent, and I would think the concerns you have would be included in how a potential portal pickup is evaluated, with or without meeting with him.

5 minutes ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

I see him as a pesky Aaron Craft type next year thru his senior year

Aaron Craft is not in the portal and IU is not recruiting him. :-) Just messing with you.

Hopefully we find a PG in the portal who has IU interest who plays like that

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This is not the thread.  This thread is for discussing IU portal targets not the current roster or former players.  

Yikes. You know the coach and program are in trouble when the mods are making the discussion topics very very specific. LOL. 

So talking about the current roster when talking about portal targets and how things fit together is off-limits now (obviously in an effort to deflect criticism of CMW)? 

Double yikes!

Edited by Silat Player
grammar

31 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Those are NBA level kids. Again…like Tucker, that’s what Woodson was after. And I and not bashing him, just the facts. It’s completely fine to have that strategy with NIL and the portal.

How many Indiana high school kids is he after? Or 3 star kids? Low 4 star kids? Ya know, the kids Painter brings in every year. 

There are now multiple ways to win these days.

UCONN’s three guards crushed PU’s guards.  One of their three guards is a one and done 5* freshman while the other two guards both arrived at UCONN via the portal. All three are projected to be drafted in the 1st or second round.

1 minute ago, Silat Player said:

Yikes. You know the coach and program are in trouble when the mods are making the discussion topics very very specific. LOL. 

So talking about the current roster when talking about portal targets and how things fit together is off-limits now (obviously in an effort to deflect criticism of CMW)? 

Double yikes!

There's over a 1,000 page thread dedicated to that sort of topic.