Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Spoiler alert:  he ain't getting a combine invite.

True. But I am betting he could get some workouts. Enough teams will be involved, he isn’t going to be a back up. 

47 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I agree, it has taken me awhile to go through page after page with the same posters arguing about the current roster and former players that really doesn’t pertain to the portal.  But why quote Chris who was not one of those posters?

I like Humrichous too and he isn’t going anywhere to come off the bench.

Kaulie and Old Fart being in a fight with Chris in the middle is arguably the most significant news this thread has seen to date. And we thought it was a dead period!!

11 hours ago, Chris007 said:

To point 2 Banks, Gunn did not improve but Reneau did. Is that because of the staff or is that because the individual player put in the time to get better?

It’s really on the player. The staff and program need to have the resources available to players who are willing to put in the work. Victor Oladipo often was in the gym well before and after the rest of his teammates. Some guys do the bare minimum and do not take advantage of the resources available. All of the players have keys to Cook Hall 24/7. 

I don’t believe it’s the coaches responsibility to develop the players skill. Obviously he can help with matters but it’s his responsibility to establish a culture that extra work is required. You have to earn your role every single day. Then scout, identify, and recruit players that fit that program culture. 

Dan Hurley is the best at this in cbb right now and it shows. Guy has an absolute machine going right now and I don’t see it stopping unless an NBA team steals him away. 

7 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Saying that Mike Woodson has no intention of using or developing Gabe Cupps because X, X, and X happened in the past is in fact bashing. Nobody on here has any clue how or what Gabe Cupps will look like next year. From my experiences, the best thing about freshman is that they always become sophomores. 

Unless they turn pro!

20 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Kaulie and Old Fart being in a fight with Chris in the middle is arguably the most significant news this thread has seen to date. And we thought it was a dead period!!

Better than Jaybob and mdn back on the board and busting each other’s nuts?

Overall it’s been a good day.

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Payne smoke on high alert.  Gopher post saying he driving a new BMW5 series. lol. Old school tactics never really grow old. 

Is he driving it around B=town today :)

10 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I agree, it has taken me awhile to go through page after page with the same posters arguing about the current roster and former players that really doesn’t pertain to the portal.  But why quote Chris who was not one of those posters?

I like Humrichous too and he isn’t going anywhere to come off the bench.

Yeah, that is the part that has me worried. He is a starter, but IU wants him to come off the bench because he's not a "rim protector" 

Rice, Conwell, Mgbako, Reneau, Humrichous is a lineup I could get behind. Hopefully, someone talks some sense to some.

I was told that at least 4 NBA teams have already contacted him and more are doing the work on him. 

37 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Payne smoke on high alert.  Gopher post saying he driving a new BMW5 series. lol. Old school tactics never really grow old. 

To me all that means is that he's got an agent and that strong NIL offers are coming, whether they be from IU or another suitor.

Any kid that gets a week past an IU visit is a fading hope; by April 25th we oughta know so much more about whether we're feasting or starving.

9 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

It’s really on the player. The staff and program need to have the resources available to players who are willing to put in the work. Victor Oladipo often was in the gym well before and after the rest of his teammates. Some guys do the bare minimum and do not take advantage of the resources available. All of the players have keys to Cook Hall 24/7. 

I don’t believe it’s the coaches responsibility to develop the players skill. Obviously he can help with matters but it’s his responsibility to establish a culture that extra work is required. You have to earn your role every single day. Then scout, identify, and recruit players that fit that program culture. 

Dan Hurley is the best at this in cbb right now and it shows. Guy has an absolute machine going right now and I don’t see it stopping unless an NBA team steals him away. 

It is the responsibility of the coaches to layout the plan and the responsibility of the players to carry out that plan 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah, that is the part that has me worried. He is a starter, but IU wants him to come off the bench because he's not a "rim protector" 

Rice, Conwell, Mgbako, Reneau, Humrichous is a lineup I could get behind. Hopefully, someone talks some sense to some.

I was told that at least 4 NBA teams have already contacted him and more are doing the work on him. 

Would be less worried about rim protection with that lineup than I would giving up a sky high offensive rebound rate. But it would certainly have the chance to be a really efficient offensive team. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Would be less worried about rim protection with that lineup than I would giving up a sky high offensive rebound rate. But it would certainly have the chance to be a really efficient offensive team. 

That's the thing.....Humrichous and Reneau might be the worst rebounding 4/5 in the Big Ten.  As a 4 Reneau is an okay rebounder at best -- that part is not his forte but it's okay enough -- but Humrichous simply doesn't provide much on the boards.  Under 5 boards in 30 minutes/game in the MVC isn't going to get it done in a P5 conference unless you have others picking up the slack.  And going back further -- he played NAIA ball at Huntington prior to going to Evansville --  he really wasn't even that good of a rebounder at that level.

I am also expecting you are going to see some regression in his shooting numbers.  He was a 37% three shooter at the NAIA level.  Had a great year at Evansville last year but the competition was weak.  He missed quite a few games and the competition worth mentioning -- a game against BYU, two against Drake, one against Indiana State -- he was held in single digits three times and averaged under 10 points per game.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

To me all that means is that he's got an agent and that strong NIL offers are coming, whether they be from IU or another suitor.

Any kid that gets a week past an IU visit is a fading hope; by April 25th we oughta know so much more about whether we're feasting or starving.

Agree, which is why I think Tony Perkins isn't going to Missouri.  That visit was 10 days ago.

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agree, which is why I think Tony Perkins isn't going to Missouri.  That visit was 10 days ago.

Does he have a visit to IU scheduled? I haven't even heard his name mentioned in a while. 

Open up my MSN page today and see a story speculating on where Robbie Avila might go. Thinking it's a done deal that he's headed to SLU, just for fun -- I click on it.  It includes us, PU, Illinois and Wisconsin -- in addition to SLU. 

It was penned by someone named John Canady of SportsGrid (whatever that is). Anyway, this is what it said about IU's chances ... 

Indiana Hoosiers©Provided by SportsGrid

Mike Woodson has done a great job in Indiana, building a more than competitive roster. With multiple talented prospects set to join the Hoosiers, the team may be on the verge of putting together a historic season. Adding a talent like Robbie Aliva would only help them do that. If the big man were to want to stay in Indiana, perhaps a step up in competition while staying local could be a good selling point.

Let's break this down. 
Mike Woodson has done a great job at Indiana. ... No
Building a more-than-competitive roster ... Depends on what that roster is for. If it's for intramurals, yes. If it's to compete in the upper half of the B1G and get an NCAA bid -- probably not. 
Multiple talented prospects set to join the Hoosiers ... Who are are they? Where are they?
On the verge of a historic season ... Huh? 

Sorta makes you wonder how much research "reporters" from these fringe websites actually do -- and why what they write always has to be taken with a grain of salt.