Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

7 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

As stubborn as Woodson has shown, I could see him not recruiting Boogie again.  

If Woodson doesn't "re-recruit" Boogie it could be for about a million different reasons than "he's too stubborn" ...cmon now. 

Just now, btownqb said:

omg lol ... it's crazy the alleged things you guys try and paint against Woodson. 

If Woodson doesn't "re-recruit" Boogie it could be for about a million different reason then "he's too stubborn" cmon now. 

Personally? I’d wait first to see if Myles Rice pops. He’s a far better get than Boogie, though both would be excellent pickups.

6 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Cupps will be in the rotation next year, 10-15 mpg as a backup 1 guard. Players do get better, especially from freshman to sophomore year. 

He does seem to have that punchers mentality about him.  You can hit him and knock him down, but he seems to have that ability to get back up and keep going.  I hope he makes the jump this summer...

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Personally? I’d wait first to see if Myles Rice pops. He’s a far better get than Boogie, though both would be excellent pickups.

I deleted the first part of that quote. Didn't mean to come off that personal/over-the-top, but mercy, we don't technically have to find EVERYTHING to be negative about. 

There are multiple guards I think I would take ahead of him/are a bigger need for us. 

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

This goes all the way back to Crean. None of these guys who transfer out become stars. Blame the staff for recruiting them but you can squeeze blood from a turnip. Banks and Gunn (along with numerous others over the years) just aren’t very good players at this level

RMK also had guys, like every other coach, that never “developed”. 
I read an article in which some head coaches stated they hoped 1/2 of their recruits ended up making some sort of impact.  I wonder how many other fan bases are so focused on their 9-12th guys development and playing time?  Some guys just aren’t good enough.

5 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

What guard under Woodson improved the most from freshman to sophomore?

If IU brings in 2 of the guards they are targeting, add Galloway and Tucker, that’s 4 guys for 80 mins at the 1 and 2. Cupps better get less than 10 and only in specific matchups.

And if IU brings in 3 guards… Cupps isn’t playing…

Bates improved a lot from his freshman to sophomore year

5 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

He does seem to have that punchers mentality about him.  You can hit him and knock him down, but he seems to have that ability to get back up and keep going.  I hope he makes the jump this summer...

Yeah I think's its crazy to write off Gabe Cupps after 1 year

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Yeah I think's its crazy to write off Gabe Cupps after 1 year

If IU wasn’t trying to buy a team and was building for the future, you would have a point. Woodson isn’t in the business of developing players like Cupps. One and done? Sure…

Just now, IndyHoops said:

If IU wasn’t trying to buy and team and was building for the future, you would have a point. Woodson isn’t in the business of developing players like Cupps. One and done? Sure…

He wouldn't have recruited Cupps if that were the case...

Not to be forgotten, Cupps is a coach's kid.  I can see him developing into a more skilled Leal... being able to get other guys in the right place, coach on the floor type. He also came across as a hard nosed guy.

Every team needs a player like Cupps. Someone who other players respect and listen to. Obviously, as a freshman he hadn't earned his stripes yet. I fully believe Gabe will grow into this kind of role, and we'll be happy he's a Hoosier.

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

This isn't the bash Mike Woodson thread. If you want to do that, take it to the appropriate place. Writing off Gabe Cupps after a single year being thrusted into a role he wasn't ready for is just silly. 

Not bashing Woodson, just stating facts. Woodson is buying a team this year. And he is buying players that are better than Cupps. And these players are not coming to IU to sit behind Cupps, including Tucker. Do we agree?

How many mins a game are 2 of Rice, Perkins, Carlyle, Conwell going to play at the 1 and 2? 

1 hour ago, Silat Player said:

Come on. We all knew that players like Priller and Gelon weren't division 1 players. LOL

Many, many, many former IU players (from RMK through Woody’s days) never turned into impactful players but your two examples are admittedly two of the biggest head scratchers ever.

When Priller committed I was 99.9% sure he wouldn’t work out, without ever having seen him play, simply because his only other offer was from Incarnate Word. A 6’9” forward from Texas, a state with 13 D1 men’s basketball schools, and his only offers were from IU and Incarnate Word???? LOL.

As bad as Priller was he probably would have made six figures a year in NIL cash at IU.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Bro.. he played on a team that went 0-20 in conference play. Tough to paint that as a good decision for Bates. 

He played how many mins a game? Got off how many 3s a game versus IU? Who by the way missed the NCAA. If his goal was to play more and shoot more, it was the right move.

7 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

So much he transferred….   :)

Bates' offense has gotten better each year.

Bate's defense hasn't.

FWIW, not even all of his offense improved this past season.  He did a good job in turning himself into a guy that scores from multiple spots on the floor, but his assist and turnover rates were both worse than his sophomore year at IU.