Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

50 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

How many walk-ons are we going to need this year so the can scrimmage?

They will probably use the women’s team. S Carolina uses guys from school to scrimmage against. 

55 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I think we're prioritizing 12 guys for 6 spots but have reached out too much more

Realistically, IU needs four transfers. Six is the max they can take. IU needs:

-2 starting guards

-a defensive 5 who can play 25 mpg whether it be starting or coming off the bench

-a shooting guard/wing

-possibly a backup 4/5

We currently have 7 scholarship players, hardly anybody plays an 11 man rotation and absolutely nobody plays 13 guys.

As far as landing two starting guards, I feel confident where we stand with Myles Rice and then between Perkins, Carlyle, Conwell I think there's your second.

I'm confident that we get one of Payne or Williams for your 25 mpg 5.

Hickman and Malone from NAIA fill the 4th and 5th transfer spots. 

Should be noted that guys are still entering the portal in droves. Up to almost 1500 entries with still 23 days left to go.

Please be Conwell. The kid works like a dog on defense and obviously is very good on offense.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

To point 2 Banks, Gunn did not improve but Reneau did. Is that because of the staff or is that because the individual player put in the time to get better?

Or both.   Usually is some of both, just depends on how much of each. With Gunn, it seemed that dad wanted to point blame at others.  Just my experience that likely if a parent thinks responsibility lies with others, their kid isn't putting in the necessary work.  I know that people liked Gunn's athleticism but when I look at a kid who didn't get physically stronger from his freshman to sophomore year, Gunn is a poster child.  Banks I have no idea on how hard he worked nor what the staff did to improve him.

I will say one thing.....would people be happy getting a player that may or may not fit that hasn't  visited or spent much time with staff?  Tre White seemed to commit pretty quickly to Illinois and to my knowledge he didn't visit.  This will be his third school in three years and he's a former 35th ranked player who seems to underachieve.  If he were to have committed to IU without visiting, I'd say we'd have questions.

^^ Yes, depending. If there's scouting, film review (one would think) and a plan for the player coming in I don't see a visit being a necessity - preferred sure, but necessity, no. We need to upgrade our talent and fill spots, if getting a player that looks to be a good fit before he goes elsewhere means taking him w/o a visit, do it.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

That makes sense. It's just the blind faith that we will get things done that is scary

What scares me is the prospect of Woodson running things back next season with another version of his double-post offense and in a mediocre B1G 10 he manages to make it to the tournament.

If he does, I fully expect that “success” to be enough to convince the people who actually call the shots on IU basketball to let Woodson stay on as long as he wants.

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

I think we're prioritizing 12 guys for 6 spots but have reached out too much more

Realistically, IU needs four transfers. Six is the max they can take. IU needs:

-2 starting guards

-a defensive 5 who can play 25 mpg whether it be starting or coming off the bench

-a shooting guard/wing

-possibly a backup 4/5

We currently have 7 scholarship players, hardly anybody plays an 11 man rotation and absolutely nobody plays 13 guys.

As far as landing two starting guards, I feel confident where we stand with Myles Rice and then between Perkins, Carlyle, Conwell I think there's your second.

I'm confident that we get one of Payne or Williams for your 25 mpg 5.

Hickman and Malone from NAIA fill the 4th and 5th transfer spots. 

Should be noted that guys are still entering the portal in droves. Up to almost 1500 entries with still 23 days left to go.

Out of our current 7 scholarship players, only 4 should be in the rotation for a top 25 team. MM, MR, Galloway, and Tucker. Leal, Newton, and Cupps should be at the end of the bench. And Galloway and Tucker probably shouldn’t start. So, IU needs at least 3 B10 ready starters and at least one if not 2 back ups.

At the bare minimum, 4 from the portal. But realistically 5, if not 6.

Also, no one is going to transfer to IU to sit behind Leal, Cupps, Newton, and even Galloway.

28 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Visit schedule gleaned from a couple of different sources

Rice - 12th

Payne - 12th/13th

Hickman - 14th

Carlyle - 19-21st

Williams - 19-21st

Possibly an element of "if the first three commit the last two will cancel their visits?" May indicate a priority order within our five scheduled visitors.

15 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Or both.   Usually is some of both, just depends on how much of each. With Gunn, it seemed that dad wanted to point blame at others.  Just my experience that likely if a parent thinks responsibility lies with others, their kid isn't putting in the necessary work.  I know that people liked Gunn's athleticism but when I look at a kid who didn't get physically stronger from his freshman to sophomore year, Gunn is a poster child.  Banks I have no idea on how hard he worked nor what the staff did to improve him.

I really don't care for Dan Hurley, but I heard part of an interview with him yesterday that at least made me respect him some...

He said that when they are recruiting a guy, they spend a fair amount of time evaluating the parents. If the player has parents who are constantly complaining, blaming the coaches, on social media, they will tend to stay away from the recruit. Conversely, if the parents hold the kid accountable, foster the idea that the kid is not entitled to anything but has to work for his playing time, that the kid working through adversity is the solution vs. having mom or dad ***** about it....those are the guys he's looking for.

Gunn is an example, and I am sure there are more, whose parents caused more locker room dissension that anything the players did.

4 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Out of our current 7 scholarship players, only 4 should be in the rotation for a top 25 team. MM, MR, Galloway, and Tucker. Leal, Newton, and Cupps should be at the end of the bench. And Galloway and Tucker probably shouldn’t start. So, IU needs at least 3 B10 ready starters and at least one if not 2 back ups.

Also, no one is going to transfer to IU to sit behind Leal, Cupps, Newton, and even Galloway.

What are you basing your opinion on? What happened this past season? Or do you take into account that players can improve over the offseason, and that guys often take a considerable jump between their first and second years. I wouldn't write Cupps off, is my point. He made a few big shots, and I think could provide some valuable minutes this coming season.

6 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

^^ Yes, depending. If there's scouting, film review (one would think) and a plan for the player coming in I don't see a visit being a necessity - preferred sure, but necessity, no. We need to upgrade our talent and fill spots, if getting a player that looks to be a good fit before he goes elsewhere means taking him w/o a visit, do it.

I wasn’t talking about evaluation from a talent standpoint but rather an attitude/chemistry fit — things that don’t necessarily show up on film.  Some players those are knowns, but guys like Tre White who seems to be a talented player who hasn’t seem to make his team better and will be on his team next year is a guy I would want to have some time with before getting him.  Depends on the player.

20 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I will say one thing.....would people be happy getting a player that may or may not fit that hasn't  visited or spent much time with staff?  Tre White seemed to commit pretty quickly to Illinois and to my knowledge he didn't visit.  This will be his third school in three years and he's a former 35th ranked player who seems to underachieve.  If he were to have committed to IU without visiting, I'd say we'd have questions.

Weren't we "told" though that the staff had made all these new "connections" with players/agents and such and we where ready to move?  To date -- nada, nothing, zilch.  I guess we'll see.  

5 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

What are you basing your opinion on? What happened this past season? Or do you take into account that players can improve over the offseason, and that guys often take a considerable jump between their first and second years. I wouldn't write Cupps off, is my point. He made a few big shots, and I think could provide some valuable minutes this coming season.

Out of the current guards we are recruiting in the portal, which ones are Cupps better than? And if Cupps isn’t playing point, where are you going to play him? The 2? In front of who?

Also, what guard has shown the most improvement from year to year under Woodson?

Cupps is the 9th guy for a good team. And that’s probably a stretch….

19 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Cupps will be in the rotation next year, 10-15 mpg as a backup 1 guard. Players do get better, especially from freshman to sophomore year. 

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Cupps will be in the rotation next year, 10-15 mpg as a backup 1 guard. Players do get better, especially from freshman to sophomore year. 

What guard under Woodson improved the most from freshman to sophomore?

If IU brings in 2 of the guards they are targeting, add Galloway and Tucker, that’s 4 guys for 80 mins at the 1 and 2. Cupps better get less than 10 and only in specific matchups.

And if IU brings in 3 guards… Cupps isn’t playing…