Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Is anyone worried that were only targeting like 12 guys again this year and we need to land half of them to fill the 6 spots? If we fill all 6 which I'm told is unlikely. 

Also, I wonder if it is an IU thing that we have all the players we're interested in making a visit before having them commit. Other programs are getting commitments right now without a kid ever visiting. But at IU we always set up a visit first. I don't need Conwell or Hickman to visit to know that I want them. 

Just my Wednesday morning ponders

I would venture to say that there are players committing to places that had been recruiting them previously and they might have already visited there.  I'm not sure where you are getting the only targeting 12 guys TBH.  The net is much wider this year than last.

I agree that we aren't likely to fill all spots -- not sure that we should unless the last guys are coming in knowing they are end the bench guys.

6 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

It would be massive malpractice to think that Woody didn't believe that he needed any more shooters going into last year...

It was malpractice that most posters called malpractice at the time.   Staff was confident in who they already had on the team.  Leaving an open scholly with the roster they had was definitely a choice.  Not bringing any other guard in unless they thought it was an absolute guarantee upgrade over Trey was definitely a choice….

it didn’t work out for them.   Maybe this year it will 

This goes all the way back to Crean. None of these guys who transfer out become stars. Blame the staff for recruiting them but you can squeeze blood from a turnip. Banks and Gunn (along with numerous others over the years) just aren’t very good players at this level.

Is anyone worried that were only targeting like 12 guys again this year and we need to land half of them to fill the 6 spots? If we fill all 6 which I'm told is unlikely. 

Also, I wonder if it is an IU thing that we have all the players we're interested in making a visit before having them commit. Other programs are getting commitments right now without a kid ever visiting. But at IU we always set up a visit first. I don't need Conwell or Hickman to visit to know that I want them. 

I think we're prioritizing 12 guys for 6 spots but have reached out too much more

Realistically, IU needs four transfers. Six is the max they can take. IU needs:

-2 starting guards

-a defensive 5 who can play 25 mpg whether it be starting or coming off the bench

-a shooting guard/wing

-possibly a backup 4/5

We currently have 7 scholarship players, hardly anybody plays an 11 man rotation and absolutely nobody plays 13 guys.

As far as landing two starting guards, I feel confident where we stand with Myles Rice and then between Perkins, Carlyle, Conwell I think there's your second.

I'm confident that we get one of Payne or Williams for your 25 mpg 5.

Hickman and Malone from NAIA fill the 4th and 5th transfer spots. 

Should be noted that guys are still entering the portal in droves. Up to almost 1500 entries with still 23 days left to go.

6 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

This goes all the way back to Crean. None of these guys who transfer out become stars. Blame the staff for recruiting them but you can squeeze blood from a turnip. Banks and Gunn (along with numerous others over the years) just aren’t very good players at this level.

Do your think this is becuase we dont evaluate talent properly or we dont coach them into the next level of competition when they arrive.

Ignoring his approach on the boards and twitter, I think NGW either hears what the staff's approach is or has a wild imagination.  Assuming he knows their approach, I am curious to see how it plays out.  I do think this, including NIL obviously, could help them build a strong team.  It could also fail incredibly. I am fine with either result. 

If the NGW/staff strategy is accurate then we may not know many of the kids we have interest in and have talked to.  After the round of visits if we still have 0 commits and we go to the next round I would imagine the staff will start getting worried. 

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I think we're prioritizing 12 guys for 6 spots but have reached out too much more

-2 starting guards

-a defensive 5 who can play 25 mpg whether it be starting or coming off the bench

-a shooting guard/wing

-possibly a backup 4/5

We currently have 7 scholarship players, hardly anybody plays an 11 man rotation and absolutely nobody plays 13 guys.

As far as landing two starting guards, I feel confident where we stand with Myles Rice and then between Perkins, Carlyle, Conwell I think there's your second.

Should be noted that guys are still entering the portal in droves. Up to almost 1500 entries with still 23 days left to go.

If you had to put names to each spot what is a homerun offseason.  

-2 starting guards (??)

-a defensive 5 who can play 25 mpg whether it be starting or coming off the bench  (Payne or Williams)

-a shooting guard/wing (Would this be Tucker or someone in addition to him)

-possibly a backup 4/5 (??)

5 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

-2 starting guards (??)

-a defensive 5 who can play 25 mpg whether it be starting or coming off the bench  (Payne or Williams)

-a shooting guard/wing (Would this be Tucker or someone in addition to him)

-possibly a backup 4/5 (??)

-Rice AND Conwell/Carlyle

-Payne or Williams...I like Aaron Bradshaw here a lot but think he's going to North Carolina

-Connor Hickman or Ben Humrichous

-Elijah Malone. I think Humrichous fits here as well as a stretch 4 type. 

Just now, AH1971 said:

-2 starting guards

-a shooting guard/wing

-possibly a backup 4/5

Agree with this to a degree, however, it doesn't really take into account the injury bug, which seems to hit IUBB particularly hard. The ever-present boot is always seen on the IU bench. At what point next year will people say exactly what they did this year, "I wish Woody would've used that final scholarship?"

In the past, I didn't think there was really ever an excuse for a coach at a major program to keep schollys open, especially with the portal. Why not fill out your roster, especially with an ambundance of 1 and 2 year players available. You don't really "lose" a scholarship and you never know when you might hit on a real hidden gem of a player. Plus, you've got plenty of practice bodies and you cover yourself from an injury perspective.

That might be somewhat less true now as we're now in the days of teams essentially having an internal salary cap. Woody only has so much money to spend. Once the cash is gone, it's gone. Also, players aren't often transferring to get LESS playing time. This is why it's foolhardy for a team to rely on the portal to fill 6 spots in one year, but I digress...

30 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

It was malpractice that most posters called malpractice at the time.   Staff was confident in who they already had on the team.  Leaving an open scholly with the roster they had was definitely a choice.  Not bringing any other guard in unless they thought it was an absolute guarantee upgrade over Trey was definitely a choice….

it didn’t work out for them.   Maybe this year it will 

Leaving an open scholly in the portal age IS malpractice. 

5 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Yes

I figured I would get a both here.  But really, the staff can't be bad at both can they.  When we picked up Kenya and Yasir, my understanding was they were great at recruiting and evaluation of talent.   The best one on the team I have seen recruit is Walsh.  When you add in Calbert and Hulls, they should be able to develop talent.  What am i missing?

19 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Come on. We all knew that players like Priller and Gelon weren't division 1 players. LOL

8 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

-Rice AND Conwell/Carlyle

-Payne or Williams...I like Aaron Bradshaw here a lot but think he's going to North Carolina

-Connor Hickman or Ben Humrichous

-Elijah Malone. I think Humrichous fits here as well as a stretch 4 type. 

I like Humrichous as the back up 4/5.  

1 hour ago, IH8PU said:

I don't like the HC but someone on the staff did good things for Renau, especially Ware and Mgbako. In their cases it had to be both ... staff working with them and the time they spent in Cook Hall on their own.

Wasn't it said that Cheaney worked with Renau a lot?

37 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Ignoring his approach on the boards and twitter, I think NGW either hears what the staff's approach is or has a wild imagination.  Assuming he knows their approach, I am curious to see how it plays out.  I do think this, including NIL obviously, could help them build a strong team.  It could also fail incredibly. I am fine with either result. 

If the NGW/staff strategy is accurate then we may not know many of the kids we have interest in and have talked to.  After the round of visits if we still have 0 commits and we go to the next round I would imagine the staff will start getting worried. 

I think we will get some guys.  We got some guys last year.  Ware was a good pickup.  I like Walker.  The problem was they didn't grab the guard spot they needed.

I think they are going to accumulate some talent this spring/summer and then see what they can do with it.  I believe they will get some talent but I am less convinced they will put together an optimal plan to use it.  We have had talent every year Woodson has been here.  Talent hasn't been the issue.  The issue has been having the right talent to do what he wanted to do on one hand and on the other the idea that what he wants to do doesn't really work well these days.