Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

I am more upset about not recruiting our home state. If he would just land some of the Sisleys and Mullins type in-state recruits, I would lay off a bit. Going portal only is not a recipe for success long term.

Being in Indiana and all... I'd think if you can land a few of the top 50-100 4 star type guys/3 star hidden gems from within the state each recruiting cycle, keep them there for 3-4 years... you'd be able to use the transfer portal to grab big fish effectively each year. Focusing on filling holes/landing best talent available where you can upgrade the roster. Seems more sustainable to me. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

our fanbase would have freaked if we had taken commitments from Swope and Hickman out of HS. 

This is where Woody or someone on the staff is likely right.  If Indiana can maintain/regain it's clout, you get surefire talent then you get the other guys out of the portal if they play strong enough to earn an offer.  I think you are going to see a lot of this type of recruiting going forward.  Certain power 5 schools don't have the playing time available to foster the growth that some of these guys want.  The days of waiting 1 or 2 years to get your chance is far less.  Purdue has been pulling this off but even they brought in a transfer portal guy and Starter guys/big minute guys have fallen off.  

I have no problem with dissent , but I don't like character assassination especially from someone who can't even fathom being wrong in certain aspects. In the beginning of Woodson's tenure I got bashed hard for opposing the hiring but none of the people who bashed me never made it personal.  That was personal, and it conflates what was a peaceful debate. 
I agree that character assassination is wrong, and neither side of this argument should do it. Unfortunately, I have seen it from both sides of this argument, and only one side gets called out for it. I thought this board was better than this and it was until this thread.
Of course, this is just an extension of the huge divide in this country and lack of respect for other people's opinions.
Having said that, fire Woodson.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Okay, sure. But here's the other rub:
It has been Woody's job to make the decisions on who to promise playing time and featured roles to, and who not to. At the expense of other options, they chose to go with Trey and X and put their faith in CJ Gunn as depth.
Trey? Sure. He's limited but had an excellent year last year and does a number of things well. X? He was seriously injured with a foot that could have been a recurring problem, in the past he's been in various kinds of trouble, and most of all, he wasn't at all guaranteed to get that sixth year. CJ? They saw him every day last year and completely mis-judged how good he would be this year. Completely misjudged. 
So our staff made the choice to not say "sayonara" to X and replace him and CJ with different guard(s). It did not work out all that well. And that effected winning, which is ultimately how the staff will be judged. If X leads us to four more straight wins and a Sweet Sixteen? Unlikely, but if that happens the staff should gets all the credit for sticking with X.

If we win the big ten tournament or get into the ncaa I will say that's enough!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Kind of like 90% of this board was losing its mind over MM being worse than JHS, not even close, can’t see it, no chance he gets there. When all along I was trying to show how JHS was not JHS out of the gate and MM would be fine.

So - as you asked @Chris007 - you’re going to provide the posts that support your claim? If it was 90% it ought to be easy to get those for display.

5 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Yes, agents are all over the transfer portal players. They control where they go. Already been agents tell coaches they won’t send players to certain schools where the NIL didn’t come through. Agents also get new business from their clients being happy. Starting roles is a part of that. 

Goodman was just talking about agents the other day .