Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

57 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I still don't see a world where Knecht or Love wouldn't have gotten as many minutes as they wanted this season? Even with Galloway on the roster and Xavier Johnson not being injured. 

It would take the staff 20 games to realize Knecht and Love are better than the guys we have. Then it would be too late. 

My biggest fear for next year..IU hits a "grand slam" in the portal. Woodson does just well enough to make the NCAA tourament. We maybe, maybe win a game. End up losing the majority of the team and have to do this all over again in 2025. Woodson gets a 5th year for sure. 

I said yesterday the biggest thing IU can do to win fans back over (outside the obvious, winning right now) is to get Mgbako/Reneau to come back (sounding positive) and start hitting on '25 kids. This summer. If IU has a few commits by the end of summer, that'll help. We can't keep living in portal land. Might work in 2025. But won't beyond. Ideally, you don't want 3 or more starters coming from the portal. I like the idea of Trey, Mgbako, and Malik starting with a new PG and C. Get a good wing to be your 6th man (one that can freaking shoot). Then add in Cupps, Newton, and a forward to be your reserves.

14 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

Dalton Knect is a similar case to Liam McNeeley.  They are both better off NOT coming to IU.  And until I see otherwise; that's going to be the case for most elite 2/3's as long as Mike Woodson is the coach.  

Ironically, they both play the same position that Mike Woodson played.

9 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Did I not just say that was the issue?

So this - it is Rule #1 - never push back on fans is BS and is just people in their feelings because he hasn’t won enough. That is great. Be mad. Be really mad but the “I have lost all respect because they pushed back on me” come on

There wasn’t a major love affair with the Woodson hire 3 years ago. Excitement generated when he was able to keep TJD, but the season played out and the team lost 5 in a row in February making IU on the outside looking into the tournament. They made it to a play-in game. Not what many would call a resounding success with an all American on the roster, but it was year 1. 

Year 2 excitement with the Reneau and JHS commits. Bigger expectations with Race and TJD back for even another year. Season started off good. Molly whopped by Arizon and Kansas letting everyone know we weren’t as good as those early wins over Xavier and UNC suggested. Started big ten season 1-4. Major doubts of Woodsons ability are starting to show. To his and the teams credit they finished 11-4 the rest of the way. Molly whopped in the tournament. 

Year 3 get some solid to great pieces with Ware and MM but otherwise mostly strike out. And certainly doesn’t make up for what left. Barely beating horrible teams in non-con schedule was eye opening how this season would go. Bad bad bad home losses. Zero recruits to look to the future. 

The argument could be made that given the talent level in year 2 over year 1 - that expectations weren’t met and the team has consistently gotten worse each year Woodson has been HC compared to it’s relative talent level.

It’s Woodson riding on his high horse like he’s delivered exceptional results and no one should question him. Truly, he probably is so thankful for Pete Yonkman, and so am I. Otherwise this 3 year stretch of IU basketball probably would have been one of, if not the worst stretch of 3 years in the history of IU basketball. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

My biggest fear for next year..IU hits a "grand slam" in the portal. Woodson does just well enough to make the NCAA tourament. We maybe, maybe win a game. End up losing the majority of the team and have to do this all over again in 2025. Woodson gets a 5th year for sure. 

I said yesterday the biggest thing IU can do to win fans back over (outside the obvious, winning right now) is to get Mgbako/Reneau to come back (sounding positive) and start hitting on '25 kids. This summer. If IU has a few commits by the end of summer, that'll help. We can't keep living in portal land. Might work in 2025. But won't beyond. Ideally, you don't want 3 or more starters coming from the portal. I like the idea of Trey, Mgbako, and Malik starting with a new PG and C. Get a good wing to be your 6th man (one that can freaking shoot). Then add in Cupps, Newton, and a forward to be your reserves.

We don’t need just a grand slam. We need a Fernando Tatis 2 grand slams in 1 inning portal. 

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What was the first thing the staff did when Liam decommitted? Called Eric from the Hysterics and said he decommitted because of the fans.

Is there any actual proof of that, or is it just conjecture?

36 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

That isn’t reason why he isn’t here and wasn’t a big deal. People know that but choosing to spin things.

Same with Knecht. Spin. 

He wanted to know a dollar figure before coming on visit. We didn’t want to do that but finally caved. He then went to Tenn and used that figure to close his deal. It was not Woody surgery and he wasn’t coming here and used us. 

Love wanted to be the guaranteed starter and Woody wasn’t willing to bench Trey or X. It wasn’t about Love thinking he could or couldn’t “compete” as people throw out. He wanted it guaranteed and Michigan and Arizona did. He wanted to run the show. We he left UNC. Probably should have given it to him but that is a tough message to send your team that you are not loyal at all to your own guys.

Irony is I bet it was 80% of this board said heck bo to him but now we act like we all knew. 

Who gives a flying %#* about the why.

Both Love and Knecht would have helped this year. Period. The “reasons” are just excuses for failing to bring them in.

And it’s this exact scenario why I am not confident the same mistakes won’t be made again. Being loyal to your players is what is sacrificed when you buy mercenaries in the portal. 

I'm so annoyed by the "true fans" statement. I know it's just sports but using that term justifies other to classify themselves better than others. In politics it's used frequently to divide other on purpose. It's a tool to take away dissent.   Noticing a lot more back and forth amongst ourselves in social media. sad times to be hoosier no matter what. 

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Seth Rollins=Chris007

Roman Reigns=Woody 

Dean Ambrose=NGW7183

if you don’t follow wrestling it probably isn’t funny 

IMG_5037.gif

man a lot has changes since the old rock/ Steve Austin days.  That's the last time I was "in" lol

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think you can listen to his spaces on X and then what he said on Peegs. Then listen to what Woodson said Sunday and connect the dots. Actual proof no I don't have a recording of the call or screen shot of their text. 

But it is known on Peegs that Eric uses his podcast and collective as a mouthpiece of the staff. 

This is probably true but dont follow them on X or peegs.  I do listen to a podcast if they have an interesting guest.  Here recently, they had Brian Evans on who is not shy to speak out about his displeasure with the team. He does stop short usually of saying they should be fired but his other comments leaves that as the logical conclusion.  Ward has been sour on the program for about a month now and does not hold back and even Eric has been much more critical on the podcasts.  So that does not seem like they just trumpet what they are told to at least on the podcasts.

49 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Love wanted to be the guaranteed starter and Woody wasn’t willing to bench Trey or X. It wasn’t about Love thinking he could or couldn’t “compete” as people throw out. He wanted it guaranteed and Michigan and Arizona did. He wanted to run the show. We he left UNC. Probably should have given it to him but that is a tough message to send your team that you are not loyal at all to your own guys.

And that right there is why Woodson is not a good coach.  Either you guarantee a starting spot to the best five players (not my approach) or every spot is open and subject to performance (that’s me).  What you don’t do, if you guarantee spots, is guarantee a spot to a less talented player at the expense of the more talented player.