Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

And forget the true fan or not. I just think openly rooting for loses, pleading for all the players to leave, contacting Liam and hoping he stays once Woody fired, etc is not acceptable. Put whatever label in it you want.

there are people here who think that is okay.

Do you think that gets better next year? Or worse?

2 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I share the concerns about a portal-heavy strategy. One caveat is if you shop at the top of the market, you often know what you’re going to get. I haven’t scrolled this whole list but the top ~20 or so last year are mostly sure things: https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/top/basketball/2023/

So if, in fact, you go get a half-time rim protector, a couple guards and a wing, and you can afford some of the best available, you’re maybe confident in talent and production. Fit and scheme and cohesion matter too. But Alabama this year has a team with a lot of high-level transfer pieces complementing some returners, just to pick a rosy version of what next year could look like.

And maybe they give Woody a nice swan song to ride off into retirement.

If it works for Woodson and company next year, he won’t be riding off into retirement, he’ll be back for another year.  The only way recruiting heavily out of the portal, is if you have returning players that can help complement them and ease the transition 

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Well, I would say it is almost always a combo of pay check, development for nba and playing time. But yeah, paycheck is big. Is for all of us. Don’t think anyone wants to work for less. 

Those factors got us MM and Ware. We think those guys were concerning in where their focus is?  

I am sure you can make an argument they were but assuming we are only going to attract guys who are bad for team culture seems little exaggerated 

I'm not saying we will only attract guys who are bad for team culture. I'm saying we will likely have a mix of people primarily money motivated and those who chose us for other factors. It's great we landed Ware in the portal and MM as a spring decommit. My concern is moreso the fact that those are 2 players, we need to add about 4-6 spots it sounds like. The odds of hitting on each of them as being a contributor is what I am ultimately concerned about. Then how do they blend together in terms of buying into culture/building good team chemistry, etc. Precedent for this has been debated plenty already. Culture/chemistry is a huge question for next year with a brand new team. Seems they passed on Love for those reasons but not Ware (+1 evaluation point to their credit). We paid up for Ware but maybe not Knecht to get him on campus. Now we've got a bigger bank roll and a cycle under our belt of the portal, hopefully we can be on the cutting edge of the new approach for roster construction. It's interesting. 

34 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

So are you saying mm is back now?

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

The NBA rookie minimum salary is $1.16 million.  An NBA 2-way contract is half that, so around $580,000.  I think if IU offers around $750,000 it might make sense to enjoy college life one more year.  

27 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

But does anyone have any confidence at all that this staff can identify the players that can fill a specific role on next years team? Brian Walsh is following these players. Does this list get anyone that excited?

Cade Tyson, Belmont

Ryan Conwell, Indiana State

Isaiah Swope, Indiana State

Connor Hickman, Bradley - Bloomington South grad

Ben Humrichous, Evansville

Cade Tyson, Belmont:

• SHOOTER, lots of all-around game. Two years left

Ryan Conwell, Indiana State:

• Stat stuffer. Shooter. Two years left. From Indianapolis

Isaiah Swope, Indiana State:

• Under-sized shooter, defensive point, not really a point on offense. Two years left. From Newburgh

Connor Hickman, Bradley - Bloomington South grad:

• SHOOTER. One year left. From Bloomington

Ben Humrichous, Evansville:

• SHOOTER SHOOTER SHOOTER. Three years left. From Tipton.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Hmmmm.... I detect a theme. Lots of post-Vonleh/Stan Robinson 2015 comps with our current situation.

8 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I'm not saying we will only attract guys who are bad for team culture. I'm saying we will likely have a mix of people primarily money motivated and those who chose us for other factors. It's great we landed Ware in the portal and MM as a spring decommit. My concern is moreso the fact that those are 2 players, we need to add about 4-6 spots it sounds like. The odds of hitting on each of them as being a contributor is what I am ultimately concerned about. Then how do they blend together in terms of buying into culture/building good team chemistry, etc. Precedent for this has been debated plenty already. Culture/chemistry is a huge question for next year with a brand new team. Seems they passed on Love for those reasons but not Ware (+1 evaluation point to their credit). We paid up for Ware but maybe not Knecht to get him on campus. Now we've got a bigger bank roll and a cycle under our belt of the portal, hopefully we can be on the cutting edge of the new approach for roster construction. It's interesting. 

Love was a huge miss, that was exactly the type of player we should have overpaid for. He’s having his best statistical season. Yes, he can get a little wild with the heat check, but he’s averaging 19/5/4/1 on 43/87/35 shooting splits. We are a tournament team with a player like Love. 

Edit: and those splits are on huge usage.

Just now, OKHOOSIER said:

Love was a huge miss, that was exactly the type of player we should have overpaid for. He’s having his best statistical season. Yes, he can get a little wild with the heat check, but he’s averaging 19/5/4/1 on 43/87/35 shooting splits. We are a tournament team with a player like Love. 

I tend to agree. Passing shows they are being mindful about chemistry/culture concerns. But hopefully that specific example, is something they've learned from. 

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

You know what I think. That we will win and all is good. I have seen plenty of adaptions and changes on lots of fronts. Pointless debate with those who don’t, 

So when we do win, all this over the top, out of line behavior will be “my bad, guess I was wrong” -there should be a line that isn’t crossed no matter how mad you are.  Rooting for failure and openly campaigning for it for the players to see is too far. They have every right to push back on those people. No matter how connected you are, you don’t know the details of everything going on, they do. 

And what if IU doesn’t win? For example, misses the NCAA. The staff needs to step down for the good of the program. Correct?

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

Some of your scenarios are not how those things went down. That isn’t why they passed on Love or Knecht (which didn’t really give us a shot) 

I am not saying they passed on Knecht for character concerns but couldn't get him on campus. Why did they pass on Love if not for character/money concerns? I am distracted so sorry if not making a ton of sense. Will check back when I can focus more 

5 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

You know what I think. That we will win and all is good. I have seen plenty of adaptions and changes on lots of fronts. Pointless debate with those who don’t, 

So when we do win, all this over the top, out of line behavior will be “my bad, guess I was wrong” -there should be a line that isn’t crossed no matter how mad you are.  Rooting for failure and openly campaigning for it for the players to see is too far. They have every right to push back on those people. No matter how connected you are, you don’t know the details of everything going on, they do. 

Yawn.  

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I think for a lot of fans, we wish and hoped that Mike Woodson would be the bridge he described. Everyone knew, including MW that he wasn’t the long term answer. The issue is even though deep down we wish he was the bridge, I can see that the bridge is on fire. Can maybe the fire be put out and rebuilt? Sure. But if you hire a contractor to build or remodel you a house and it catches fire - are you trusting them to rebuild or are you going to look at other contractors? Doesn’t mean when the original contractor was hired we didn’t want them to succeed. 

Just now, Home Jersey said:

I am not saying they passed on Knecht for character concerns but couldn't get him on campus. Why did they pass on Love if not for character/money concerns? I am distracted so sorry if not making a ton of sense. Will check back when I can focus more 

Could be wrong but if I am remembering correctly with Love it was a style of play issue.  Something to the effect of Love wanted to run the offense through him whereas we see Woodson likes to run it through the post.  That may be oversimplifying it.

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

If we were to turn down the NIT - assuming there isn't a coaching change and some mass exodus - we're a gigantic crybaby loser program and deserve every ounce of hate we get.

I hate to say it but with our staff I think they need to pick NIT or work on the portal. There is no way they can do both

Just now, hoopsta007 said:

Could be wrong but if I am remembering correctly with Love it was a style of play issue.  Something to the effect of Love wanted to run the offense through him whereas we see Woodson likes to run it through the post.  That may be oversimplifying it.

Seems like what we might end up hearing a lot with guards we go after. 

27 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Well, I would say it is almost always a combo of pay check, development for nba and playing time. But yeah, paycheck is big. Is for all of us. Don’t think anyone wants to work for less. 

Those factors got us MM and Ware. We think those guys were concerning in where their focus is?  

I am sure you can make an argument they were but assuming we are only going to attract guys who are bad for team culture seems little exaggerated 

I think IU was a little more shiny last year than this year.  I do think with the staffs work now with TJD and Ware, getting a big with NBA aspirations becomes easier for us.  The other positions, I think we may have to pay up for and those are ones (PG especially) we really need.  I could see some of these kids being a little wary but I think if we return a strong core, finish the year strong and have playing time available we should be able to get a high end PG