Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, AH1971 said:

There will be plenty of players in the portal with local/regional connections that would jump at the chance to play at IU with NIL incentives. 

Don't deny that. Will we get the right players regionally and nationally to compete next year? This year's roster construction does not inspire confidence. Seems we are throwing a Hail Mary. Hope it converts.

14 minutes ago, jumpshot53 said:

I have to admit, I'm a flip-flopper.  I wasn't going to watch, I didn't care if MSU would beat us, but the game pulled me in.  I was having fun, cheering for my team and happy for our guys...and happy for our coach.  Their speeches didn't bother me,  I'm kind of surprised Liam is getting so much criticism.  I would be too tongued tied in front of thousands of people, and thousands watching from home to be an eloquent speaker.  Liam didn't bother me,  I don't think he was arrogant, I think he might have used better wording,  but he is at IU to play basketball, not give speeches.  He's a good kid from all reports, so I hope people lay off him.

Woodson didn't bother me either.  He knows he's being attacked from so many now.   Right or wrong, he has the right to defend himself,  just like we all do.  The bigger they are, the harder they fall, so if he fails at this job,  that will be his forever legacy.  I just want our team to win and I want the best person to make that happen.  Speaking of Dusty....lol...I heard a rumor that he wasn't ready to leave his job just yet.  Could that be a reason why no change was made this year at IU?  

If we lose the first game this week,  I'll probably be back on here calling for Woodson's head.  Being an IU fan is HARD!

Woodson has friends with power/influence. Nepotism is why he's staying, same as why he was hired.

I know this has been shared quite a bit...but portal shopping is supposed to plug in gaps in the roster, not build it. Putting a band aid on a wart doesn't heal the wart, it hides it. So what if we get 2-3 really good players from the portal...how do we recruit 2025? No offense, but our high school class in Indiana is loaded (I know this is common knowledge) and not getting any in-state kids will put us right back on the portal track again.

I'm old. I hate how it is, how it's been, where it's going, etc. Losing McNeeley was a major gut punch

46 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Getting some bench depth is easier.

If (and that is still most certainly an 'if') we have three starters returning (Trey, Malik, and Mack) we will need two starters out of the portal, and one will have to be a true quality point guard; one who can create shots, cause mis-matches off of ball screens, and defend quicker point guards. That is a difficult proposition, but with our apparent NIL budget seems 'do-able.'

If we only have two or (lord help us) one starter returning? It's gonna suck real bad. It will likely be a lost season and a slide into the abyss, similar to Michigan this year.

I'm not sure getting bench depth through the portal is easier.  Starters are easy because you promise them playing time and a huge NIL deal.  Are good players going to want to come for 12 minutes per game even if you are offering good NIL? We were able to get Walker and Sparks last year, but no guards.  

I know this has been shared quite a bit...but portal shopping is supposed to plug in gaps in the roster, not build it. Putting a band aid on a wart doesn't heal the wart, it hides it. So what if we get 2-3 really good players from the portal...how do we recruit 2025? No offense, but our high school class in Indiana is loaded (I know this is common knowledge) and not getting any in-state kids will put us right back on the portal track again.
I'm old. I hate how it is, how it's been, where it's going, etc. Losing McNeeley was a major gut punch
Also just because we have more money doesn't mean we will get the top guys we need. He couldn't get them last year except ware. Plus galloway is back so are the guards going to be scared of him again? It's just such a total roll of the dice. You don't just get happy to buy a kid a tractor cause lots of teams have a happy as well.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

You don't understand, nobody cares about what YOU think qualifies someone as a "true fan". Mike Woodson can't tell someone if they're a true fan or not, nor can Leal. Being a true fan is an emotional experience for each individual fan. They may hold views about the current state or direction of the program that you don't agree with but that doesn't mean they're any less a "true fan", whatever the hell that means, than you are. Folks need to stop trying to be the fan gatekeepers 
I agree with this, but neither should people on here say true fans are those on this board who want Woodson fired. True fans can have different ideas about what is best for the program the program

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I agree with this, but neither should people on here say true fans are those on this board who want Woodson fired. True fans can have different ideas about what is best for the program the program

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Does any non-affiliated person actually believe that keeping Woodson is best for the program? 

29 minutes ago, True Fan said:

Definitely a fair question.  I do think that if people who are in the know (Izzo, for example) are crediting Woodson with Ware, then I will too.

It feels like Reneau has improved a lot, but that could be just him maturing and getting stronger and a lack of TJD, like you said.  Reneau is probably more subjective than Ware

He is, but you can't just look at usage.  When you are getting used more you are going to be drawing more attention from the opposing coach.  Reneau wasn't double teamed much last year.  He was this year.

8 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

How many teams coveted a Ryan Langborn last year? Or a Lance Jones? They're everywhere.

But yes if the plan is to go all-in on Bruce Thornton, Wade Taylor, and Jordan Pope we're going to be disappointed. 

I get what you are saying, but it certainly doesn’t look like the under the radar grad transfers is going to be the route. I just have huge concerns on the players we will actually get. High level and want to win? It’s not like the other big boys with established winning culture are broke lol go get paid and win big. Guys with Indiana then. We overpay players that shouldn’t sniff the floor (Sparks). Or…. Where this is headed: guys solely interested in maximizing their earning power. Whether that means good players bad players bench players we are going to overpay for dudes chasing dollar signs. We are probably going to have the most expensive roster in CBB. It is embarrassing that this is what Indiana Basketball has devolved into. 

20 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Portal may produce more knowns that incoming freshman, but it is still a crap shoot.  Could say you are playing craps with one die already thrown.  When you look at the Ivy League transfers of Dingle, Ledlum, and Ryan Langborg I don't think anyone would have guessed that Langborg would be the highest scorer of the three after transferring.

But does anyone have any confidence at all that this staff can identify the players that can fill a specific role on next years team? Brian Walsh is following these players. Does this list get anyone that excited?

Cade Tyson, Belmont

Ryan Conwell, Indiana State

Isaiah Swope, Indiana State

Connor Hickman, Bradley - Bloomington South grad

Ben Humrichous, Evansville

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think he will test the waters in the NBA then make a decision

If he continues to have a solid showing in the BTT and NIT (if we accept), I think he's played himself into a second round pick. The question will be, how bad does he want to be a pro, and can the NIL money convince him to come back and try to move into the first round next year.

8 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Don't deny that. Will we get the right players regionally and nationally to compete next year? This year's roster construction does not inspire confidence. Seems we are throwing a Hail Mary. Hope it converts.

Assuming MR and MM is back, along with Galloway, that is a nice foundation to build upon. I will agree that IU would likely need to covet (and land) a high end guard from the portal that will likely go to the highest bidder, but after that it should really be about addressing needs and filling roles. 

If Blackmon enters the portal it should be a layup. Grab him and then you can really go all-in on a Thornton or a Wade Taylor type. Get the kid at Bradley literally from Bloomington to come off the bench and play 15-20 mpg and space the floor. There's plenty of these guys in the portal willing to get a chance to play at the P5 level who all don't have a hand out. Staff just needs to identify them. 

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Of course Purdue fans are ecstatic.  They haven't played a double digit seed yet.

Purdue is 28-3 and won the B1G by three games and will probably walk away with the BTT championship again. I take joy in their March futility, but I would take the above over this yesterday. I was 2 the last time we won it all. The banners are dusty. They mean nothing to me on a personal level. I have no emotional connection to them. I do to the B1G championship teams under Crean. That was a lot more fun than whatever this trainwreck is. 

I share the concerns about a portal-heavy strategy. One caveat is if you shop at the top of the market, you often know what you’re going to get. I haven’t scrolled this whole list but the top ~20 or so last year are mostly sure things: https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/top/basketball/2023/

So if, in fact, you go get a half-time rim protector, a couple guards and a wing, and you can afford some of the best available, you’re maybe confident in talent and production. Fit and scheme and cohesion matter too. But Alabama this year has a team with a lot of high-level transfer pieces complementing some returners, just to pick a rosy version of what next year could look like.

And maybe they give Woody a nice swan song to ride off into retirement.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

While you’re definitely not wrong and I agree with you. I see more ppl wanting Woodson gone than Archie. I remember debating people that Archie needed to go after year 3. Woodson is a better coach than Archie. Thats not the standard though, but he isn’t as bad as some make him out to me. I think part of it is the arrogance that comes across. But I personally like a bit of cockiness from my coaches. 

I don’t mind the cockiness but I also like to have a little bit of fire too!  Sometimes theses kids have trouble getting their motor started and a fiery coach can sometimes do that.  Until these last 4 games have seen little to no emotion out of Woodson, I bet he hasn’t even gotten a tech.  Whatever the reason now, which I think it’s the so called non-true fan, there has definitely been a sense of urgency with Woodson, coaching staff and players.

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think he will test the waters in the NBA then make a decision

Which puts us at a disadvantage.  The draft evaluations are in May, no?  Do we fill his spot or not?