Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Outside of two posters on this site I haven’t conversed with anyone (online or in person) who wants CMW to return. It’s anecdotal but it’s my experience in southern Indiana.
My uncle does but he isn't very knowledgeable in bbal

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, go iu bb said:

The NCAA can't do anything. They're powerless and will lose in court if they try. The only way they can get any power back is if they get Congress to give them anti-trust protection like professional sport leagues. I don't see that happening without the athletes also forming a union. 

Then I conclude it’s a freaking mess!  A darn free for all and every school, player, coach for themselves 

6 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Then I conclude it’s a freaking mess!  A darn free for all and every school, player, coach for themselves 

You’re right it is. But there is a way to navigate through it and programs are doing it. Schools/states are suing the NCAA for trying to put in NIL guardrails. Without a collectively bargained agreement there is nothing the NCAA can do. Especially when they try they get sued by the schools they represent.

So IU has actually done well in NIL in basketball. I read/heard a year ago or so that IU had the 2nd best NIL program in the conference, behind Illinois. But we aren’t seeing the results. Why?

How does NIL translate to winning?  Purdue is the class of the Big Ten and they build through high school players that cost less than 1 and done They then DEVELOP their players and supplement them when a gap appears. How did Michigan football win a national title this year without a sign guy or a NIL program to compete with OSU and the SEC? DEVELOPMENT which got 18 guys invited to the combine, a record. Purdue is essentially money balling college basketball, for those of you old enough to remember moneyball and the Oakland A’s. 

6 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Just my opinion:

1.  Woodson's comments are what I expect from him.  There are lots of @sses in the world, though.  Bob Knight was one but he won consistently and to a high degree.  Knight and Woodson both feel like they don't own the media or fans explanations.  Knight obviously was a MUCH better coach -- not debatable -- so most IU fans accepted the ego.  That's the bottom line, Woodson's ego doesn't match results which is why he's not liked.

2.  In terms of Leal, what he said could have been more nuanced.  Speech was short and obviously everyone is focused on the 'real fans' line.  Would have been better if he said something like 'we really need the support from the fans....it's can be tough when your own fans are rooting against you'.  Might not have pleased some fans, but would have been a more digestable message.  Leaving it at an open ended 'true fans' stated leaves too much interpretation. 

Yeah Knight had an ego and could be a real a$$.  But I don’t ever recall him distinguishing between true and untrue fans. He did call the fans out when they did stupid chit.  But I don’t recall anything where he said they weren’t real fans.  

When you attack the fan base, the end is near.  Very hard to recover from. I’m still pissed and have lost a lot of feeling for these guys.  I’m basically numb.  I would normally be excited and pumping sunshine about running the table in the BTT and making the dance.  Now I’m like “”ok a holes, show me.”   

Yeah Knight had an ego and could be a real a$$.  But I don’t ever recall him distinguishing between true and untrue fans. He did call the fans out when they did stupid chit.  But I don’t recall anything where he said they weren’t real fans.  

When you attack the fan base, the end is near.  Very hard to recover from. I’m still pissed and have lost a lot of feeling for these guys.  I’m basically numb.  I would normally be excited and pumping sunshine about running the table in the BTT and making the dance.  Now I’m like “”ok a holes, show me.”   
The reason is was knight was a winner. A true winner doesn't play the victim card. I hope I am wrong but it seems Woodson and leal want to play victim and blame the fans. I feel Woodson doesn't truly understand how passionate the fanbase is and you have to win at elite levels if you don't want backlash. The list of schools that are on our level fan wise isn't huge. Igo to their message boards when they are struggling and tell me iu fans are a exception. We aren't they just can't produce a great product so trying to push blame elsewhere imo

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

If Woodson was winning big ten titles I wouldn't care what he said. But when you are a subpar coach telling off fans isn't very smart.

5 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

If Woodson was winning big ten titles I wouldn't care what he said. But when you are a subpar coach telling off fans isn't very smart.

If he was winning he wouldn’t talk about true/untrue fans. Woody is too far removed from IU, he is an elitist!

19 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Honestly, Woodson thinks he is at Knights level because he’s been coaching for a long time and at the highest level.  I could be wrong, but he sure as heck comes off like that.  Bow down and kiss the ring, oh my bad, you don’t have any!

28 minutes ago, Feathery said:

You’re right it is. But there is a way to navigate through it and programs are doing it. Schools/states are suing the NCAA for trying to put in NIL guardrails. Without a collectively bargained agreement there is nothing the NCAA can do. Especially when they try they get sued by the schools they represent.

So IU has actually done well in NIL in basketball. I read/heard a year ago or so that IU had the 2nd best NIL program in the conference, behind Illinois. But we aren’t seeing the results. Why?

How does NIL translate to winning?  Purdue is the class of the Big Ten and they build through high school players that cost less than 1 and done They then DEVELOP their players and supplement them when a gap appears. How did Michigan football win a national title this year without a sign guy or a NIL program to compete with OSU and the SEC? DEVELOPMENT which got 18 guys invited to the combine, a record. Purdue is essentially money balling college basketball, for those of you old enough to remember moneyball and the Oakland A’s. 

I will give you two words:  Woodson/Administration

If he was winning he wouldn’t talk about true/untrue fans. Woody is too far removed from IU, he is an elitist!
That is pretty clear. For all his iu love talk like you said he seems way above us all. He likes the title of iu coach but he certainly seems way above all us peons.

46 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Knight called them critics but he was smart enough to never use the word fan in a bad way.